Clash City Showdown Revisited?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Clash City Showdown Revisited?

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 9:25pm
IkarisOne wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 9:02pm
Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 8:53pm
I love the section on the Cost of Living EP, agree with every word.

Imagine losing the three weakest songs on London Calling (for me Lover's Rock, Four Horsemen and Revolution Rock) and replacing them with GotW, Groovy Times and I Fought the Law? You'd have an absolute beast of an album on your hands.
Two of my favorite tracks!
Definitely Revolution Rock is a top track for me.
I still love it but something has to come in the bottom three, and it is a cover. I was actually going to have BNC instead but feared the backlash.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 9:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Heston wrote:

Imagine losing the three weakest songs on London Calling (for me Lover's Rock, Four Horsemen and Revolution Rock) and replacing them with GotW, Groovy Times and I Fought the Law? You'd have an absolute beast of an album on your hands.
I still love it but something has to come in the bottom three, and it is a cover. I was actually going to have BNC instead but feared the backlash.
*red sniper dot disappears from Heston’s forehead*
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 9:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Heston wrote:

That and the fact that even you can't believe BNC is one of the three weakest LC songs.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

https://web.archive.org/web/20050816123 ... fdove.net/

The Clash Zone was great. Here is a version of it from 20005 courtesy of the wayback machine site.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

laxman wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 3:13pm
https://web.archive.org/web/20050816123 ... fdove.net/

The Clash Zone was great. Here is a version of it from 20005 courtesy of the wayback machine site.
Hello,

This brings back memories as I visited it regularly to swap cd's (and cdr's - for those old enough!).

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

My favourite CCS article/'toon is Why Me and The Clash Couldn't Be Pals — total classic.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Just re read Who Did What.
I remember enjoying reading it when it when it was up on the website back in the day as I had no idea on most of it. Remember being impressed how Chris worked it out.
No mention of Lost In The Supermarket which I always used to think was a Mick song for obvious reasons.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 3:29am
I remember enjoying reading it when it when it was up on the website back in the day as I had no idea on most of it. Remember being impressed how Chris worked it out.
No mention of Lost In The Supermarket which I always used to think was a Mick song for obvious reasons.
Are the "obvious reasons" the fact that Mick sang it? Cos otherwise everything in the lyric points to Joe's childhood. I never bought this theory that Joe wrote it from Mick's point of view.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 4:13am
101Walterton wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 3:29am
Are the "obvious reasons" the fact that Mick sang it? Cos otherwise everything in the lyric points to Joe's childhood. I never bought this theory that Joe wrote it from Mick's point of view.
Yes Mick singing it.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Inder wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 7:29pm
My favourite CCS article/'toon is Why Me and The Clash Couldn't Be Pals — total classic.
Cheers. I actually laughed my ass off when I came up with that cartoon. Inspired by Homer Simpson, incidentally.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

IkarisOne wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 6:14pm
Inder wrote:
Cheers. I actually laughed my ass off when I came up with that cartoon. Inspired by Homer Simpson, incidentally.
I seem to recall there was dispatch where you really made the case for Mongrel Rock, but I couldn’t seem to find it in the book. Was it only online? I checked obvious sections like the CR, live Clash, and music theory ones, but I either flipped right by it or it wasn’t put in the book.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 4:01am
IkarisOne wrote:
Inder wrote:
I seem to recall there was dispatch where you really made the case for Mongrel Rock, but I couldn’t seem to find it in the book. Was it only online? I checked obvious sections like the CR, live Clash, and music theory ones, but I either flipped right by it or it wasn’t put in the book.
hmm, not ringing a bell. I'll have a look.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

IkarisOne wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 11:49am
Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 4:01am
IkarisOne wrote:
Inder wrote:
hmm, not ringing a bell. I'll have a look.
Maybe I'm just compositing a bunch of different posts together in my mind.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 7:26pm
Kory wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 7:17pm
Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 4:34pm
I'm a few pages in and I'm reading about a Paul Simonon solo album recorded for Stiff that was never released (!). Never heard this mentioned anywhere else, is there a story behind this?
Weirrrrrrd
I would obviously pay a lot of money to hear this. Good comedy albums are thin on the ground.
If that was a comedy album for Stiff that makes sense. They realeased a blank lp entitled 'The Wit and Wisdom of Ronald Raegan' around 1980, so they had form.

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

Be cool if you went on Higherside Chats and did an interview just about The Clash