Clash City Showdown Revisited?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Clash City Showdown Revisited?

Post by 101Walterton »

IkarisOne wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 1:14pm
Hi, I'm the author of Clash City Showdown. Ask me anything!
I read the essays initially online back in the day was it the CCS website? Can you just give us a quick backstory / timeline as to how the book came about.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 3:10pm
IkarisOne wrote:
I read the essays initially online back in the day was it the CCS website? Can you just give us a quick backstory / timeline as to how the book came about.
Yep. I'd done a bunch of postings on AOL back in the Stone Age and assembled them into a fanzine in 1994, which I sold to fans through AOL. I did most of it after hours at work and really had a blast doing it. When Mick came to NYC for the Higher Power tour I called him when he appeared on WBAI and arranged to drop some copies off for him at the Paramount in Times Square. The weird thing is I'm pretty sure I ran into him on the street, but he was all bundled up with hat and scarf and sunglasses because it was colder than fuck. Teddy told me Mick liked to wander around when he pulled into a city, especially NYC.

Anyhow, in doing the zine I met a Clash tape trader named Jeff Dove, who had a very early Clash website, The Clash Zone. He wanted to put a page of my stuff on his site and so we did. I did the book cover illustration for that page.

Jeff kind of lost interest in The Clash Zone so I put it all up on my AOL site. When Joe came back around in '99, I updated pretty much everyday and it was all quite raucous and jolly good fun.

Then Joe passed on, sadly. So the following year I put everything together, wrote some new material, did some new artwork and published it on-demand through this really crap mom-and-pop shop in Michigan. But it was all a blast. The book is now totally out of print and was listing for a thousand bucks at one point on Ebay and Amazon. But apparently there aren't any copies for sale anywhere.

But a Scottish chap at a big glossy mag in the UK bought it and hired me on to do some articles for his mag, out of which came the big Clash II thing where I spent 300 dollars interviewing Pete Howard on the phone because I forgot to do that 10-10-220 thing before I dialed. Whatever, it was a blast talking to Pete. And becoming friendly with Nick got me those 1983 demos that Inder and I did those ersatz single releases for, which was good fun too.
Last edited by IkarisOne on 08 Jan 2020, 9:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Anyone got a link to the PDF? Cheers.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 3:55pm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qacrn4xi9j1w ... n.pdf?dl=0
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 4:12pm
Heston wrote:
You are a gentleman and a scholar, thanks.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
You can have my autographed copy of CK’s book for $2,000

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

IkarisOne wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 3:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Yep. I'd done a bunch postings on AOL back in the Stone Age and assembled them into a fanzine in 1994, which I sold to fans through AOL. I did most of it after hours at work and really had a blast doing it. When Mick came to NYC for the Higher Power tour I called him when he appeared on WBAI and arranged to drop some copies off for him at the Paramount in Times Square. The weird thing is I'm pretty sure I ran into him on the street, but he was all bundled up with hat and scarf and sunglasses because it was colder than fuck. Teddy told me Mick liked to wander around when he pulled into a city, especially NYC.

Anyhow, in doing the zine I met a Clash tape trader named Jeff Dove, who had a very early Clash website, The Clash Zone. He wanted to put a page of my stuff on his site and so we did. I did the book cover illustration for that page.

Jeff kind of lost interest in The Clash Zone so I put it all up on my AOL site. When Joe came back around in '99, I updated pretty much everyday and it was all quite raucous and jolly good fun.

Then Joe passed on, sadly. So the following year I put everything together, wrote some new material, did some new artwork and published it on-demand through this really crap mom-and-pop shop in Michigan. But it was all a blast. The book is now totally out of print and was listing for a thousand bucks at one point on Ebay and Amazon. But apparently there aren't any copies for sale anywhere.

But a Scottish chap at a big glossy mag in the UK bought it and hired me on to do some articles for his mag, out of which came the big Clash II thing where I spent 300 dollars interviewing Pete Howard on the phone because I forgot to do that 10-10-220 thing before I dialed. Whatever, it was a blast talking to Pete. And becoming friendly with Nick got me those 1983 demos that Inder and I did those ersatz single releases for, which was good fun too.
Cheers CK. I remember the Clash Zone site and it was through that trail I found my way here (Satchs) via Snews etc..

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 4:21pm
Heston wrote:
I'm keeping mine, I enjoy it too much. Chris also very generously drew an illustration for my crappy Paul Simonon Geocities site way back. Chris, do you still have that drawing, by chance? I lost it during the death of Geocities and over the course of transitioning computers since the late 90s.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

I'm a few pages in and I'm reading about a Paul Simonon solo album recorded for Stiff that was never released (!). Never heard this mentioned anywhere else, is there a story behind this?

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Now why would I want your autograph? ;)

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 4:36pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Now why would I want your autograph? ;)
Hahaha

Heston

Post by Heston »

I'm on to the section about Rat Patrol From Fort Bragg and Chris mentions he doesn't think the version we all know was Mick's final mix. That it was a "work in progress" copy. I've always thought this too due to the sloppy vocals (I'm thinking especially Ghetto Defendant and Know your Rights) and wondered if it was ever confirmed this was what Mick presented to the record company as the finished article? TeddyB?

Heston

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 10:55am
Another trip to the loft. Just been up there to put the tree away :meh:
I missed this earlier. :lol:

ArmagideonTim
Dirty Punk

Post by ArmagideonTim »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 4:12pm
Heston wrote:
Thank you for linking. :approve:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

IkarisOne wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 3:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Yep. I'd done a bunch postings on AOL back in the Stone Age and assembled them into a fanzine in 1994, which I sold to fans through AOL. I did most of it after hours at work and really had a blast doing it. When Mick came to NYC for the Higher Power tour I called him when he appeared on WBAI and arranged to drop some copies off for him at the Paramount in Times Square. The weird thing is I'm pretty sure I ran into him on the street, but he was all bundled up with hat and scarf and sunglasses because it was colder than fuck. Teddy told me Mick liked to wander around when he pulled into a city, especially NYC.

Is this the fanzine? https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASH-CITY-SHO ... SwDyFeErto
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.