Clash City Showdown Revisited?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Clash City Showdown Revisited?

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 4:34pm
I'm a few pages in and I'm reading about a Paul Simonon solo album recorded for Stiff that was never released (!). Never heard this mentioned anywhere else, is there a story behind this?
Weirrrrrrd
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 7:17pm
Heston wrote:
I'm a few pages in and I'm reading about a Paul Simonon solo album recorded for Stiff that was never released (!). Never heard this mentioned anywhere else, is there a story behind this?
Weirrrrrrd
I would obviously pay a lot of money to hear this. Good comedy albums are thin on the ground.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 7:26pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Weirrrrrrd
I would obviously pay a lot of money to hear this. Good comedy albums are thin on the ground.
Maybe it's a banger dub album...

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 7:32pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Weirrrrrrd
12 Crooked Beats? My money's off the table.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 7:42pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Weirrrrrrd
12 Crooked Beats? My money's off the table.
It's basically a 20-minute version of "Listen," but just the bass.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

The Paul album is true. I asked him about it in 1984 and he said he got too busy to finish it. But seeing as how he was working with Mikey Dread on it and Mikey fell out with the Clash for a while, that's probably another possibility. Or maybe it sucked and Stiff didn't want to release it is another possibility.

I do think it's interesting that Paul wasn't contractually bound to CBS though.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 6:00pm
I'm on to the section about Rat Patrol From Fort Bragg and Chris mentions he doesn't think the version we all know was Mick's final mix. That it was a "work in progress" copy. I've always thought this too due to the sloppy vocals (I'm thinking especially Ghetto Defendant and Know your Rights) and wondered if it was ever confirmed this was what Mick presented to the record company as the finished article? TeddyB?
I've heard tell there's another Mick mix out there that is more finished than the circulated version but you have to know the handshake to hear it.

Heston

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 7:47pm
Heston wrote:
I'm on to the section about Rat Patrol From Fort Bragg and Chris mentions he doesn't think the version we all know was Mick's final mix. That it was a "work in progress" copy. I've always thought this too due to the sloppy vocals (I'm thinking especially Ghetto Defendant and Know your Rights) and wondered if it was ever confirmed this was what Mick presented to the record company as the finished article? TeddyB?
I've heard tell there's another Mick mix out there that is more finished than the circulated version but you have to know the handshake to hear it.
When Sound System came out I was expecting to hear better versions of Kill Time and Beautiful People but they were just the same mixes that we always had. And Joe's guide-like vocal was still present on the extended Ghetto Defendant. This made me wonder if it actually was the finished thing after all.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

IkarisOne wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 7:46pm
The Paul album is true. I asked him about it in 1984 and he said he got too busy to finish it. But seeing as how he was working with Mikey Dread on it and Mikey fell out with the Clash for a while, that's probably another possibility. Or maybe it sucked and Stiff didn't want to release it is another possibility.

I do think it's interesting that Paul wasn't contractually bound to CBS though.
My curiosity is going nuts about this.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Weirrrrrrd
One track emerged

Heston

Post by Heston »

I love the section on the Cost of Living EP, agree with every word.

Imagine losing the three weakest songs on London Calling (for me Lover's Rock, Four Horsemen and Revolution Rock) and replacing them with GotW, Groovy Times and I Fought the Law? You'd have an absolute beast of an album on your hands.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 8:53pm

Imagine losing the three weakest songs on London Calling (for me Lover's Rock, Four Horsemen and Revolution Rock) and replacing them with GotW, Groovy Times and I Fought the Law? You'd have an absolute beast of an album on your hands.
Two of my favorite tracks!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I remember massively agreeing about One More Time.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

IkarisOne wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 9:02pm
Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 8:53pm

Two of my favorite tracks!
Definitely Revolution Rock is a top track for me.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 8:25pm
IkarisOne wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 7:47pm
Heston wrote:
When Sound System came out I was expecting to hear better versions of Kill Time and Beautiful People but they were just the same mixes that we always had. And Joe's guide-like vocal was still present on the extended Ghetto Defendant. This made me wonder if it actually was the finished thing after all.
It's possible, but it's also possible that Mick is sitting on his mix because he's still sore about the Glyn Johns business. If so, I get it.