Guardian - 40 Greatest Songs ranked

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Guardian - 40 Greatest Songs ranked

Post by Silent Majority »

The Call Up's just missing something. Something vital that it's needed to push it over from trundling along at 80% to the full 100%. It's probably issues to do with a slapped together last minute performance and the mix of the recording. The Sandinista! original sin.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 6:04am
The Call Up's just missing something. Something vital that it's needed to push it over from trundling along at 80% to the full 100%. It's probably issues to do with a slapped together last minute performance and the mix of the recording. The Sandinista! original sin.
A chorus maybe? Or is it already one long chorus? I suppose it works if you look at it as a mantra. But yeah, something makes it fall short of true greatness. Joe's mournful vocal carries it really, I can imagine it not working half as well without it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Heston wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 7:32am
Silent Majority wrote:
A chorus maybe? Or is it already one long chorus? I suppose it works if you look at it as a mantra. But yeah, something makes it fall short of true greatness. Joe's mournful vocal carries it really, I can imagine it not working half as well without it.
That sums it up for me too. Whilst I've grown to like it more over the years as a standalone track, it was a disappointing follow up to Bankrobber. Sure the sentiment is noble and the lyric smart, but musically for me it lacks any urgency and clarity that most Clash singles had up until then (and some future singles would have, like Straight To Hell and This Is England).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 4:14am
IkarisOne wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 11:07am
Loving the love for Gates.
Oh yes. "Gates of the West" is easily Top 10 Clash for me, maybe just songs in general.
This.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
It's the melancholy in it for me that makes it great. The mix is what fucked it up from being a better track. Joe's vocal is really good.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 5:04pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
It's the melancholy in it for me that makes it great. The mix is what fucked it up from being a better track. Joe's vocal is really good.
I don't find anything really objectionable about the mix personally.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 9:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 5:04pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I don't find anything really objectionable about the mix personally.
I do it's when its compared it to the mix of "The Cool Out".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia