Spirit of St. Louis

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Spirit of St. Louis

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 5:07pm
Kory wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 4:57pm
matedog wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 2:26pm
Kory wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 2:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 11:46am

That's an entirely reasonable explanation, tho given how many keystrokes we've devoted to so many other topics, it still seems odd to me that there isn't some Heston-like figure here—i'm gonna say Inder—who's decided to champion it as the lost classic or means of deciphering everything else. We love entertaining goofball theses, yet nobody travels down that road with SoSL. It's just odd to me.
I've actually never heard this. Maybe it will be me?
You've never heard Torchlight?
Maybe once in passing but I haven't heard the whole album.
Torchlight is pretty great.
It's on Spotify, unbelievably.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Since its release I've loved 'Spirit of St. Louis' (not just liked it) and still play it regularly. I actually do think of it as a Clash album ( though probably not some mythical "Great Lost Clash Album"), in the same way I think of the Futura 12" single as a Clash single, and almost think of the Mick co-produced (with Topper at Wessex on half the album) Ian Hunter/Mick Ronson album 'Short Back & Sides' as a Clash collaborative album. Those were heady days, mates. Once you acclimated yourself to the subtle mix and textures of 'Sandinista!', and accepted that all bets were off and weirdness was the new norm for the Clash, you could get your head around it all. And Mick, Bill Price, Jeremy Green et al at Wessex had a very distinctive sound going on then in '80-81. If it was too SRP for ya - just turn the fucker up louder!
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

muppet hi fi wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 3:59am
Since its release I've loved 'Spirit of St. Louis' (not just liked it) and still play it regularly. I actually do think of it as a Clash album ( though probably not some mythical "Great Lost Clash Album"), in the same way I think of the Futura 12" single as a Clash single, and almost think of the Mick co-produced (with Topper at Wessex on half the album) Ian Hunter/Mick Ronson album 'Short Back & Sides' as a Clash collaborative album. Those were heady days, mates. Once you acclimated yourself to the subtle mix and textures of 'Sandinista!', and accepted that all bets were off and weirdness was the new norm for the Clash, you could get your head around it all. And Mick, Bill Price, Jeremy Green et al at Wessex had a very distinctive sound going on then in '80-81. If it was too SRP for ya - just turn the fucker up louder!
No amount of volume will make me remember most of the songs on it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

muppet hi fi wrote:
It is fun getting that S! era contact high off it. But playing it loud is like heating up watery soup. It doesn't make it any heartier, just makes it hot, watery soup.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

No-one has mentioned that there are six songs credited to 'Strummer/Jones' on the album, which is pretty significant as they weren't recorded by the band. Also three by Tymon Dogg, who has always been there or thereabouts in Joe's career. I still think it's a big part of The Clash output... maybe not the best.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

IkarisOne wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 12:02pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
It is fun getting that S! era contact high off it. But playing it loud is like heating up watery soup. It doesn't make it any heartier, just makes it hot, watery soup.
:mrgreen: Good soup analogy. And that's well put about the "contact high" - yeah that is surely a big part of it for me, but I do think "Torchlight", "In the Killing Hour" and "MPH" are genuinely great (MPH has some of Mick's most Ronson-esque guitaring ever), and I love the languid, Euro-cool vibe of "Shuttered Palace" and "Theatre of Cruelty", which both have very interesting feminist themes, albeit coming from different angles (not to mention Tymon's "Game of a Man"). Which has always made me wonder: did they write those two songs specifically for Ellen or were they already completed, lyrically at least. Because if Mick and Joe could write to spec in such a short period of time, who knows what kind of material they could have come up with for other artists (if they'd actually got their shit together a bit...).

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

muppet hi fi wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 6:19pm
IkarisOne wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 12:02pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
:mrgreen: Good soup analogy. And that's well put about the "contact high" - yeah that is surely a big part of it for me, but I do think "Torchlight", "In the Killing Hour" and "MPH" are genuinely great (MPH has some of Mick's most Ronson-esque guitaring ever), and I love the languid, Euro-cool vibe of "Shuttered Palace" and "Theatre of Cruelty", which both have very interesting feminist themes, albeit coming from different angles (not to mention Tymon's "Game of a Man"). Which has always made me wonder: did they write those two songs specifically for Ellen or were they already completed, lyrically at least. Because if Mick and Joe could write to spec in such a short period of time, who knows what kind of material they could have come up with for other artists (if they'd actually got their shit together a bit...).
It was a classic missed opportunity. The production and the mix kind of keep everything from flowering, never mind Ellen's rather limited comfort zone. I think they all got a bit too ADHD around that time, and were sketching out concepts that needed a lot more time in the oven. S!, SBaS and SoSL could have been so much more if Mick buckled down and got a little more discerning between an idea and a good idea. There's that great line from that Musician piece at the time, something like The Clash were "the Keith Jarretts of Punk."

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

When mom has one too many daiquiris at Karaoke night.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 1:18am

Oh dear.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 4:51pm
IkarisOne wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 1:18am

Oh dear.
I'd prefer hearing Markie Post do it.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

IkarisOne wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 7:24pm
It was a classic missed opportunity. The production and the mix kind of keep everything from flowering, never mind Ellen's rather limited comfort zone. I think they all got a bit too ADHD around that time, and were sketching out concepts that needed a lot more time in the oven. S!, SBaS and SoSL could have been so much more if Mick buckled down and got a little more discerning between an idea and a good idea. There's that great line from that Musician piece at the time, something like The Clash were "the Keith Jarretts of Punk."
Ha! That's great! Never read that article in Musician. (don't think I got into it until the mid-'80s, but it was a great mag, and the band gear profiles at the end of each feature article were always cool. Plus, Bill Flannagan wrote for them a lot).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 9:02pm
IkarisOne wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 7:24pm
Ha! That's great! Never read that article in Musician. (don't think I got into it until the mid-'80s, but it was a great mag, and the band gear profiles at the end of each feature article were always cool. Plus, Bill Flannagan wrote for them a lot).
Spirit of St. Louis was recorded just after Sandinista! So I'm amazed there was anything left in the tank after that mammoth sprawl.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

I like this review by the Punk Panther:-

An utterly different album. Ellen was carrying on with Mick Jones of The Clash at the time and on this bizarre album, she enlisted Jones' help. He and Joe Strummer contributed several "Sandinista!" style compositions and members of The Clash and Ian Dury's Blockheads played the music which was anything but rock. It is virtually impossible to categorise, just as "Sandinista!" was. All that said, I found it strangely appealing at the time and still do.

"The Shuttered Palace" is marvellously evocative and "Torchlight" sees Ellen duetting with Jones, somewhat clumsily. "Beautiful Waste Of Time" is a jazzy pleasure and "The Death Of The Psychoanalyst Of Salvador Dali" is frankly bonkers. "M.P.H." is as close to punky rock as it gets. "My Legionnaire" is another atmospheric Edith Piaf cover. "Theatre Of Cruelty" continues the floaty, jazzy feel and "How Glad I Am" is a slice of sixties soul. "Phases Of Travel", the intoxicating "Game Of A Man", the soulful "Indestructible" and the anthemic "In The Killing Hour" end this interesting little curio.
Joining the Street Parade

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

deny wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 8:20am

An utterly different album. Ellen was carrying on with Mick Jones of The Clash at the time and on this bizarre album, she enlisted Jones' help. He and Joe Strummer contributed several "Sandinista!" style compositions and members of The Clash and Ian Dury's Blockheads played the music which was anything but rock. It is virtually impossible to categorise, just as "Sandinista!" was. All that said, I found it strangely appealing at the time and still do.

"The Shuttered Palace" is marvellously evocative and "Torchlight" sees Ellen duetting with Jones, somewhat clumsily. "Beautiful Waste Of Time" is a jazzy pleasure and "The Death Of The Psychoanalyst Of Salvador Dali" is frankly bonkers. "M.P.H." is as close to punky rock as it gets. "My Legionnaire" is another atmospheric Edith Piaf cover. "Theatre Of Cruelty" continues the floaty, jazzy feel and "How Glad I Am" is a slice of sixties soul. "Phases Of Travel", the intoxicating "Game Of A Man", the soulful "Indestructible" and the anthemic "In The Killing Hour" end this interesting little curio.
"Clumsily?"

It's a pretty damn fine performance and production.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 8:51am
deny wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 8:20am

"Clumsily?"

It's a pretty damn fine performance and production.
I agree. This album could've benefited with more time and planning.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia