Clash City Rockers pitch correction

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Clash City Rockers pitch correction

Post by Heston »

Someone was asking about this on Facebook. He, like me, had read that the song was restored to its original speed speed for all subsequent releases after the sacking of Mickey Foote. I did some checking though and these are my findings...

The Clash s/t US version 1979 - Sped up version
Story of the Clash 1988: Sped up version
The Singles 1991: Sped up version
Clash On Broadway box set 1991: Normal pitch version
Essential Clash 2003: Sped up version
Sound System 2013: Normal pitch version

Can anyone have a listen to back me up and confirm I'm not going mad? It seems such a strange decision to have a sped up and slowed down version on two different compilations that came out the same month in 1991.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Clash City Rockers pitch correction

Post by matedog »

Is the track length different?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 2:37pm
Yes, roughly a 10 second difference. I never thought of checking that!

Why the hell would they keep releasing different versions on different comps. And I've definitely seen the quote, "the song was subsequently corrected for all compilation releases." Strange that as late as 2003 they were still using the Mickey Foote version.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

While I'm on, does anyone know the purpose of the alt version of CCR? Was it just a rough mix?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 3:12pm
matedog wrote:

Why the hell would they keep releasing different versions on different comps. And I've definitely seen the quote, "the song was subsequently corrected for all compilation releases." Strange that as late as 2003 they were still using the Mickey Foote version.
Laziness, I guess.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 3:23pm
Heston wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 3:12pm
matedog wrote:

Laziness, I guess.
A lazy handling of the Clash legacy? I don’t believe it!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

The 1991 dichotomy makes sense to me. The Singles comp had the original single version while the COB set had the correct speed. Sound System has the correct speed because Mick was directly involved.

Heston

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 5:51pm
The 1991 dichotomy makes sense to me. The Singles comp had the original single version while the COB set had the correct speed. Sound System has the correct speed because Mick was directly involved.
Weren't Mick on Joe on board for Essential? That's the one that doesn't make any sense.

Any ideas on the alternate CCR take, Teddy?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'm guessing that the the compilers for Singles and Essential just used whatever tapes were handed to them without much checking. Essential was purportedly overseen by the band in some sense iirc, but obviously not the same level of involvement as Sound System. Different people compiled and mastered Singles vs COB in '91, so it's not a stretch to think all involved just went about their business on each project and never compared notes or anything.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Heston wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 6:09pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 5:51pm
Weren't Mick on Joe on board for Essential? That's the one that doesn't make any sense.

Any ideas on the alternate CCR take, Teddy?
While the group was involved in song choice for Essential, they were not involved with production to the extent that Mick was with Sound System. I also recall interaction between members over song choices for the COB box. As for the CCR alternate version, I have it on a cassette from MJ that also features the alternate version of The Prisoner. I would assume that these were both earlier mixes.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Thanks for the info, Teddy.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Just checked the alt take of Clash City Rockers and noticed the drums are different, especially at the end, so is definitely an alternate take rather than a rough mix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 12:25pm
Just checked the alt take of Clash City Rockers and noticed the drums are different, especially at the end, so is definitely an alternate take rather than a rough mix.
What is the alt take?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 10:11pm
Heston wrote:
What is the alt take?
It was on the DOA comp
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 10:11pm
Heston wrote:
What is the alt take?