Does Anyone Else Really Like the 1983 Clash Line-Up?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
GotGameGreggy
Dirty Punk

Does Anyone Else Really Like the 1983 Clash Line-Up?

Post by GotGameGreggy »

I feel like the 1983 Clash line-up and US-Festival warm-up shows don't get talked about enough. It seems like most books about the Clash sort of gloss over this period in the band's history, but I really think this line-up was special. Mick's guitar playing sounds great and very creative, Pete Howard's drumming is top-notch, and Joe's vocals sound excellent. I also like how Pete doesn't try to imitate Topper or Terry, it sounds like he's really doing his own thing. For the shows themselves, I think the Wichita Falls show is one of The Clash's best concerts of all-time. The set-list is super interesting and unique and it sounds like the band is just really laid-back and having a good time. The San Antonio show sounds more tight and focused. The Tucson show is one of my personal favorites, the band is on fire the whole time. I know the US-Festival is significant because it was Mick's last show, but I actually think it sounds really good. Joe is obviously angry, but I feel like he really channeled that energy and the whole band put on a great performance. I think had this Joe/Mick/Paul/Pete line-up stuck together, they could have been one of the best bands of the 80's, or at least, one of the most interesting. What are your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV8cnDqWFvY

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Does Anyone Else Really Like the 1983 Clash Line-Up?

Post by Heston »

GotGameGreggy wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 3:46pm
I feel like the 1983 Clash line-up and US-Festival warm-up shows don't get talked about enough. It seems like most books about the Clash sort of gloss over this period in the band's history, but I really think this line-up was special. Mick's guitar playing sounds great and very creative, Pete Howard's drumming is top-notch, and Joe's vocals sound excellent. I also like how Pete doesn't try to imitate Topper or Terry, it sounds like he's really doing his own thing. For the shows themselves, I think the Wichita Falls show is one of The Clash's best concerts of all-time. The set-list is super interesting and unique and it sounds like the band is just really laid-back and having a good time. The San Antonio show sounds more tight and focused. The Tucson show is one of my personal favorites, the band is on fire the whole time. I know the US-Festival is significant because it was Mick's last show, but I actually think it sounds really good. Joe is obviously angry, but I feel like he really channeled that energy and the whole band put on a great performance. I think had this Joe/Mick/Paul/Pete line-up stuck together, they could have been one of the best bands of the 80's, or at least, one of the most interesting. What are your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV8cnDqWFvY
I enjoy the warm up shows, the US Festival not so much. Compare Train In Vain from Lewisham 1980 to the performance at the US Festival and you see a band that was way below what they were capable of. Drugs? Laziness? Under rehearsed? I'm not sure but something is missing. I will agree Joe was in fine voice on that tour though, he seemed to improve immensely live from about the start of 1982. That is why some of the early 82 gigs are amongst my favourites. You have still have Topper in the band and Joe in good voice.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board