Clash Live Series (Only an idea)

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Clash Live Series (Only an idea)

Post by matedog »

Bruce has been releasing a ton of his professionally recorded shows (and some semi-professionally recorded) via the Nugs website. This includes a lot of his legendary shows which has been a lot of fun to finally get these shows. There's been some inconsistency with some of the mixes, but it's generally been great for the fans as they have been sitting on a lot these tapes for 40+ years.

That got me fantasizing about The Clash doing a similar thing - professionally mixed releases of their live archive. Let's be honest, they probably aren't going to have big sellers worthy of promotion like the one time they tried with the woeful Live at Shea. Why not release these tapes via a similar site like Nugs to monetize these tapes that are collecting dust?

Using FHTE as a baseline of stuff we KNOW Sony has in their archives, I could see these being possible for release:

1979-01-03 - Lyceum - Easy promo since professional footage of this show
1980-02-18 - Lewisham - Easy promo since professional footage of this show
1981-06-08 - Bonds - Easy promo since professional footage of this show
1981-06-09 - Bonds - Easy promo since professional footage of this show
1982-09-07 - Boston
1982-09-08 - Boston
1982-10-12 - Shea Night 1

I didn't include the Rude Boy stuff from FHTE because they are so heavily overdubbed I'm not convinced any of it is live. Even the drums on London's Burning from RAR aren't live.

Stuff Sony *might* have access to (this is hard with BMC down, so I'm going on memory and am probably missing some stuff):
1982-02-25 - Hong Kong - I believe this was a radio broadcast, so perhaps a pre-broadcast tape is available.
1981-05-10 - Teddy B mentioned Sony was planning on releasing this as part of a S! anniversary release. That strongly suggests they have the tapes.
1977-05-28 - I believe this was a radio broadcast, so perhaps a pre-broadcast tape is available.
1976-Various - There's a rumor that Mickey Foote recorded a bunch of earlier shows. Perhaps through 1977.

I could probably go on with other radio broadcasts that *might* be available, but I think you get the idea. I suppose Sony would have to determine if this would make sufficient money vs. the cost to mix and master the tapes. Ideally Sony would earn money on this release and the fans would get some great new material (win-win). Or they might hold on to something like Lewisham to package with London Calling 50th in 10 years. Though the way they handle the legacy, they'll just repackage the regular album "Special 50th Anniversary Remaster" with a picture book or something. Or something else worthless like the vanilla tapes on vinyl
Last edited by matedog on 23 Sep 2020, 9:53am, edited 1 time in total.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Clash Live Series (Only an idea)

Post by Heston »

Great idea but I'm not holding my breath.

The Lewisham show is the head scratcher. Peak live Clash, what we've heard so far is great, so what gives?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wire did this for awhile with their “legal bootleg” series of downloads. Nothing flashy but a nice gesture to their admittedly small fanbase and a little extra cash. For something like this to happen, I imagine Sony would just make a deal with a small label to release them as it's too small for it to care about. But for a band whose reputation is mostly rooted in its live shows, it's a startling oversight.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 1:56pm
Wire did this for awhile with their “legal bootleg” series of downloads. Nothing flashy but a nice gesture to their admittedly small fanbase and a little extra cash. For something like this to happen, I imagine Sony would just make a deal with a small label to release them as it's too small for it to care about. But for a band whose reputation is mostly rooted in its live shows, it's a startling oversight.
So bands bigger than The Clash (Bruce) do it as do bands smaller than The Clash (Wire).

The live releases have been particularly baffling - FHTE (which I find generally very enjoyable), then Shea (okay, it has the big Combat Rock songs and is a punchy greatest hits show, but being the sole full live show release makes no damn sense 12 years on), and the wretched-sounding Lyceum tracks tacked on to Sound System (I believe Teddy confirmed they were an afterthought).

I just don't get Sony's approach with repacking London Calling every 5 years. There is legit "new" material that is at their disposal yet they opt to let the fanbase slowly die out without ever tapping this potential venue source.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 2:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So bands bigger than The Clash (Bruce) do it as do bands smaller than The Clash (Wire).

The live releases have been particularly baffling - FHTE (which I find generally very enjoyable), then Shea (okay, it has the big Combat Rock songs and is a punchy greatest hits show, but being the sole full live show release makes no damn sense 12 years on), and the wretched-sounding Lyceum tracks tacked on to Sound System (I believe Teddy confirmed they were an afterthought).

I just don't get Sony's approach with repacking London Calling every 5 years. There is legit "new" material that is at their disposal yet they opt to let the fanbase slowly die out without ever tapping this potential venue source.
Teddy did say there was going to be some big news in 2020, maybe this will be it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
the wretched-sounding Lyceum tracks tacked on to Sound System (I believe Teddy confirmed they were an afterthought).
That was unforgivable. We'd heard how good they could sound properly mixed so I was looking forward to them. Vocal levels all over the place and virtually unlistenable.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 2:20pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Teddy did say there was going to be some big news in 2020, maybe this will be it.
I missed that. Hopefully it isn't just Sandinista with a picture book.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

There is a whole series of Clash live shows on vinyl floating about. Don’t think they are official (haven’t bought any) but professional looking boots?

matedog

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 2:46pm
There is a whole series of Clash live shows on vinyl floating about. Don’t think they are official (haven’t bought any) but professional looking boots?
Yeah, I mean we have a large selection of decent to great sounding boots that will serve me just fine if we never get anything official ever again. I'm just hoping for new material that we know exists.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 2:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 2:46pm
Yeah, I mean we have a large selection of decent to great sounding boots that will serve me just fine if we never get anything official ever again. I'm just hoping for new material that we know exists.
Here’s a couple, racks in my local shop are full of them
Attachments
84CA0E43-0725-4D36-B338-9D1A561A1B1A.jpeg
A9514F3C-BA99-4E57-8D2D-F65195C94F12.jpeg

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 2:38pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think he has a good handle on what we'd consider big news. I'm hoping for COB myself.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 5:36pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think he has a good handle on what we'd consider big news. I'm hoping for COB myself.
We've discussed this before, but I think that'd be such a cool release - Great live footage of the band, the nascent hip hop community, and pre-Guiliani NYC. I'm struggling to think of a similar film from any band, I think it'd be so unique.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

matedog wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 5:48pm
Kory wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 5:36pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:

We've discussed this before, but I think that'd be such a cool release - Great live footage of the band, the nascent hip hop community, and pre-Guiliani NYC. I'm struggling to think of a similar film from any band, I think it'd be so unique.
Agree totally. It would be a great document of the band, the times and the community and also put what they were doing at that time into a perspective that is unknown to a lot of people.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 5:48pm
Your desire all but assures it won't happen. Because the Clash.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

🤫