The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Post by Marky Dread »

King of the Road
Blonde Rock n Roll

Both are missing from the March/April session. Think they belong with "Louie Louie".

Not picking holes Andrew but it's "Shepherds" Delight not "Shepard's".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

Does anyone know where "Walk Evil Walk" fit in? Electric Lady NYC or London sessions?

And I *think* it is Mick on Piano and Topper on drums right?

I love that tune. Top notch musicians improvising. It's both soothing and interesting. Wish we had more of it's kind.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

x3em wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 9:59pm
Does anyone know where "Walk Evil Walk" fit in? Electric Lady NYC or London sessions?

And I *think* it is Mick on Piano and Topper on drums right?

I love that tune. Top notch musicians improvising. It's both soothing and interesting. Wish we had more of it's kind.
"Walk Evil Talk" it's said to be Mick and Topper but I think it's most likely all Topper. At a guess I would say Electric Lady studios.

I'm basing this on the fact that Topper built up the track for "Rock the Casbah" in a similar way. So just speculating.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I'm reading through this period. And I'm confused.🤣

August
Studio – Unknown
Tracks
Czechoslovak Song/Where Is England?
Pouring Rain
Before We Go ForwardLine UpJoe Strummer – Vocals, guitar
Paul Simonon – Bass
Pete Howard – DrumsSource – Strummer 001 box set credits + speculation

NovemberStudio – Lucky 8 Studios
TracksAre You Ready For War?
Jericho (Ammunition)
Glue Zombie
Sex Mad War
Out of Control
Galleani
This Is England
We Are the Clash
Rock N Roll City
National Powder
In the Pouring Rain
Before We Go Forward
Dictator
Three Card TrickLine Up –Joe Strummer – Vocals, guitar
Nick Sheppard – Guitar
Paul Simonon – Bass
Pete Howard - DrumsSource - Nick Sheppard???1984
Late August –Studio - “tiny demo studio” in Los Angeles –
Tracks - Three or four unidentified songs except for “Three Card Trick”
Line Up –Joe Strummer – jazz rock guitar with built in keyboard
Percussion – unknown
Trumpet – unknownSource – “We Are The Clash” page 188

The Strummer 001 box has "Before We Go Forward" and "Blues on the River" as listed from July 1984. The first is listed under Strummer/Simonon/Howard and the second track as solo Joe.
"This Is England" is listed as being recorded in July 1983.

The other two tracks on the 001 box "Czechoslovak Song/Where Is England" "Pouring Rain" also as listed as Strummer/Simonon/Howard tracks but recorded in July 1983.

Surely the "Before We Go Forward" track is before Nick and Vince joined otherwise why are they not on the track?

So they were a 3 piece up until Nick and Vince joined and then in November '83 they record the demos we've had for years and some tracks were named by Inder. Then in July '84 they are back to being a 3 piece?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

CK named the (at the time) unknown Nov 83 tracks, which I believe pre-date Vince joining. I'm not sure they were a studio session, so much as some rehearsal recordings.

Didn't somebody mention around the time 001 came out that some of the dates were off, possibly to skirt around copyright/crediting/licensing stuff?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
16 Aug 2023, 1:50pm
CK named the (at the time) unknown Nov 83 tracks, which I believe pre-date Vince joining. I'm not sure they were a studio session, so much as some rehearsal recordings.

Didn't somebody mention around the time 001 came out that some of the dates were off, possibly to skirt around copyright/licensing stuff?
Apologies Inder for some reason I thought it was you who came up with titles like "Backwoods Drive" etc.

Those '83 tracks do feel more like rehearsals than studio sessions. Though the Lucky Eight had Michael Fayne as engineer and an 8 track facility I believe.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Aug 2023, 1:39pm

August
Studio – Unknown
Tracks
Pouring Rain
Paul Simonon – Bass

The Strummer 001 box has "Before We Go Forward" and "Blues on the River" as listed from July 1984. The first is listed under Strummer/Simonon/Howard and the second track as solo Joe.

The other two tracks on the 001 box "Czechoslovak Song/Where Is England" "Pouring Rain" also as listed as Strummer/Simonon/Howard tracks but recorded in July 1983.

Surely the "Before We Go Forward" track is before Nick and Vince joined otherwise why are they not on the track?

So they were a 3 piece up until Nick and Vince joined and then in November '83 they record the demos we've had for years and some tracks were named by Inder. Then in July '84 they are back to being a 3 piece?
I remember doing an analysis of TIE and speculated that the July 84 songs (at least TIE) were sometime between August and Nov 83 (viewtopic.php?p=507130#p507130). Makes sense if Mick was booted end of August/early September. Not sure when Nick came aboard, but pre-November.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
16 Aug 2023, 3:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Aug 2023, 1:39pm

August
Studio – Unknown
Tracks
Pouring Rain
Paul Simonon – Bass

I remember doing an analysis of TIE and speculated that the July 84 songs (at least TIE) were sometime between August and Nov 83 (viewtopic.php?p=507130#p507130). Makes sense if Mick was booted end of August/early September. Not sure when Nick came aboard, but pre-November.
Yes I think you are spot on Andrew. Definitely have that '83 vibe to them.

The only song that feels out of place is "Blues on the River". Why was Joe recording this solo track in '84? Makes little sense to me. Could this have been one of the tracks he recorded when he went to the US with Kosmo and used the hired Mariachi guys perhaps?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:

Didn't somebody mention around the time 001 came out that some of the dates were off, possibly to skirt around copyright/crediting/licensing stuff?
Definitely skirting around copyright issues with those dates, as was not crediting the songs to the Clash (as they were at the time).
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
16 Aug 2023, 6:23pm
Inder wrote:

Definitely skirting around copyright issues with those dates, as was not crediting the songs to the Clash (as they were at the time).
Just so the tracks are not credited to "The Clash". I think the date is simply a mistake. The 7" tracks are credited to Strummer/Rhodes and credited to Bernie's "Oddball" imprint. And are therefore out of the Sony contract possibly.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia