The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 2:12pm
Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 2:03pm
Heston wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 3:07am
Kory wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 8:58pm
Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 8:46pm

I'll try and get on it over the weekend mate.
I was surprised when somebody mentioned that Paul had a hand in Rebel Waltz. I wonder if he just didn't realize he was playing in 3/4.
How do we know it was bassline he was credited for? It may have been lyrics and/or vocal melody.
I guarantee it wasn't the vocal melody.
And the only lyrics we know he wrote for sure is GOB right? Broadway's lyrics seem a bit more...advanced than a song about movie that Paul likes.
I would wager that he wrote Crooked Beat's lyrics as well.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 8:46pm

I'll try and get on it over the weekend mate.
I was surprised when somebody mentioned that Paul had a hand in Rebel Waltz. I wonder if he just didn't realize he was playing in 3/4.
How do we know it was bassline he was credited for? It may have been lyrics and/or vocal melody.
And the only lyrics we know he wrote for sure is GOB right? Broadway's lyrics seem a bit more...advanced than a song about movie that Paul likes.
So...were they handing out credits for bass lines? Standard practice back then was lyrics and/or top line (vocal) melody for a songwriting credit.

If they were awarded for his basslines it may give a clue as to what he definitely played on. :idea:

I should have the list up soon, I'll start a new thread.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 2:19pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

So...were they handing out credits for bass lines? Standard practice back then was lyrics and/or top line (vocal) melody for a songwriting credit.

If they were awarded for his basslines it may give a clue as to what he definitely played on. :idea:

Not per traditional rules, but Joe/Mick probably allowed it when it was a lead part of the song's development. I was going to complain about NWR not getting credit on Mag 7, but him and Mickey are credited now. That was a fairly recent development right?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 2:28pm
Heston wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 2:19pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

Not per traditional rules, but Joe/Mick probably allowed it when it was a lead part of the song's development. I was going to complain about NWR not getting credit on Mag 7, but him and Mickey are credited now. That was a fairly recent development right?
They got money but did they get an official credit? I've never seen it in print.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Hah! ASCAP lists Joe, Mick, Tops and Paul as writers for Mag 7, but Joe, Mick and Tops for Mag Dance.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 3:06pm
Hah! ASCAP lists Joe, Mick, Tops and Paul as writers for Mag 7, but Joe, Mick and Tops for Mag Dance.
I've just noted that in the thread I've just started.

IT CAN ONLY MEAN PAUL WROTE LYRICS FOR MAG 7!!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 3:10pm
Inder wrote:

Which is weird because one assumes that it was complete by the time he returned, but I suppose they just jammed on the riff forever and Joe did the vocals much later.

The Strummer/Simonon credit for Crooked Beat throws my earlier guess into confusion.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 4:52pm
Heston wrote:
Inder wrote:

Which is weird because one assumes that it was complete by the time he returned, but I suppose they just jammed on the riff forever and Joe did the vocals much later.

The Strummer/Simonon credit for Crooked Beat throws my earlier guess into confusion.
He might have came up with something as simple as the "you lot" chorus. The main verses seem too much of a train of thought by Joe. Or maybe he was sitting reading the newspaper and shouted out "vacuum cleaner sucks up budgie."

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 5:38pm
Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 4:52pm
Heston wrote:
Inder wrote:

He might have came up with something as simple as the "you lot" chorus. The main verses seem too much of a train of thought by Joe. Or maybe he was sitting reading the newspaper and shouted out "vacuum cleaner sucks up budgie."
That was from The Sun wasn’t it? Sure I have read somewhere about that.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Added Vanilla tapes and I think I'm about as far as I can get. Any more info on London Calling-Combat Rock is appreciated.

*edit* added some random 1982 info.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

matedog wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 11:57pm
Added Vanilla tapes and I think I'm about as far as I can get. Any more info on London Calling-Combat Rock is appreciated.

The Stay and Casbah vocal retakes were recorded ay Glyn Johns Home studio.

Heston

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 2:18am
matedog wrote:

Was the Casbah vocal take any different? Sounds the same to me.

matedog

Post by matedog »

IkarisOne wrote:
matedog wrote:

Thanks, I read that in Passion shortly after the last update and will revise accordingly. As Hes noted, I believe it is just Stay and KYR.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 10:52am
IkarisOne wrote:
matedog wrote:

Thanks, I read that in Passion shortly after the last update and will revise accordingly. As Hes noted, I believe it is just Stay and KYR.
Ghetto Defendant had its vocal re-recorded at some point too.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 11:18am
matedog wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 10:52am
IkarisOne wrote:
matedog wrote:

Ghetto Defendant had its vocal re-recorded at some point too.
Is the Sound System version the Rat Patrol version?