The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

The band do have Lee Perry’s mix of Complete Control. There was discussion of releasing it in honor of Lee after he passed away recently but for some reason it didn’t happen.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 1:14am
The band do have Lee Perry’s mix of Complete Control. There was discussion of releasing it in honor of Lee after he passed away recently but for some reason it didn’t happen.
That is potentially a fascinating listen. I really hope we hear it some day.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 12:11am
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 5:44pm
The book states an early take of "Pressure Drop" "The Prisoner" and an embryonic "(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais" were also recorded at the two sessions with Lee "Scratch" Perry in August '77.

This adds more mystery. Maybe "Pressure Drop" and "The Prisoner" were recorded with Lee Perry but it seems odd that we have never heard the dub mix of "Complete Control" from the same session. Surely the band kept a copy of the mix. Maybe it was these two versions that were reworked later at the Marquee sessions for the B-sides.

The book states that Lee Perry completed the dub mix. The band are said to have respected the mix but wanted a heavier punk sound for the track. So Mick and Mickey remixed it for the single release.
I added these to the Lee Perry session with the caveat of "unreleased." I also added Gary Barnacle to City of the Dead. No sure how I missed that. Updating as I go through the book.
😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 9:57am
Heston wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 8:20am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 6:51am
River wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 6:34am
With Tymon just brought up, something I've been curious about recently. Who does the high backing vocals on "The Sound of the Sinnners" ? During the choruses, there's the vocal going along with Joe that certainly doesn't sound like Mick to my ears at least. I've at this point guessed it's either some studio musician who didn't get the credit, or it's Tymon's voice. I've been more inclined to think it's Tymon because it seems to fit a bit more to how he sings.
Yep that "Judgement Day" backing vocal is Mick.
I think River means the vocal harmony on the chorus, "after all this time etc", I'm sure I once read it was Topper.

And I thought the "judgement day" bits were Den Hegarty from Darts? Mick may also have backed those bits up as they are harmonised, but the very low part sounds too deep for Mick's tenor voice.
Ahh yep gotcha.. the harmonised "judgement day" do indeed sound like Mick and Den to my ears. And those backing vocals on the "after all this time" do indeed sound like Topper. It's not Tymon as there is no wavering in the vocal.

Here's a quick remix where you can hear those high vocals more clearly.
https://mega.nz/file/wlomVLKS#yiqM2HAih ... Kj3FIFJWo0
Drat! I missed this. Can someone post it again?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 10:42am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 9:57am
Heston wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 8:20am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 6:51am
River wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 6:34am
With Tymon just brought up, something I've been curious about recently. Who does the high backing vocals on "The Sound of the Sinnners" ? During the choruses, there's the vocal going along with Joe that certainly doesn't sound like Mick to my ears at least. I've at this point guessed it's either some studio musician who didn't get the credit, or it's Tymon's voice. I've been more inclined to think it's Tymon because it seems to fit a bit more to how he sings.
Yep that "Judgement Day" backing vocal is Mick.
I think River means the vocal harmony on the chorus, "after all this time etc", I'm sure I once read it was Topper.

And I thought the "judgement day" bits were Den Hegarty from Darts? Mick may also have backed those bits up as they are harmonised, but the very low part sounds too deep for Mick's tenor voice.
Ahh yep gotcha.. the harmonised "judgement day" do indeed sound like Mick and Den to my ears. And those backing vocals on the "after all this time" do indeed sound like Topper. It's not Tymon as there is no wavering in the vocal.

Here's a quick remix where you can hear those high vocals more clearly.
https://mega.nz/file/wlomVLKS#yiqM2HAih ... Kj3FIFJWo0
Drat! I missed this. Can someone post it again?
Not worth it Dave. It's not anything you would want to keep. Just a quick knock up to empathize the vocal. Not a good mix for keeping as I only did it to hear the vocal.

I didn't even keep it myself as it's a throwaway mix. You've missed nothing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 11:18am
I didn't even keep it myself as it's a throwaway mix. You've missed nothing.
OK, thanks for the quick reply.

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 4:54pm
This is a useful book for reference.
Got my copy of that, and, to my great surprise, a piece I wrote for a guitar mag is quoted on page 303. Chuffed to be part of Clash documentation.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

marxwallace wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 10:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Got my copy of that, and, to my great surprise, a piece I wrote for a guitar mag is quoted on page 303. Chuffed to be part of Clash documentation.
Ha! That's pretty nifty.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 2:32pm
marxwallace wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Ha! That's pretty nifty.
My work here is done.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

marxwallace wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 4:03pm
matedog wrote:
marxwallace wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Ha! That's pretty nifty.
My work here is done.
Don't get lazy now. One page in a book ain't no War and Peace. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 4:08pm
marxwallace wrote:
matedog wrote:
marxwallace wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Ha! That's pretty nifty.
My work here is done.
Thanks, I needed that.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

marxwallace wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 12:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 4:08pm
marxwallace wrote:
matedog wrote:
marxwallace wrote:

Ha! That's pretty nifty.
My work here is done.
Thanks, I needed that.
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

So it's very possible that the more Ska sounding version of "Pressure Drop" remixed by Bill Price for inclusion on the "Black Market Clash" 10" is this version.

Also that WMiHP is the version later released as the RAR version. It would make sense as this version contains the older lyrics "millions of Yen down Japan way".

And "The Prisoner (Alt. Mix)" also from this session. The version I have which is listed as being from "Oct-Nov'77" is this version. It has a different guitar riff finale more in keeping with what was played live in '77.

Leaving the only track not released from this session officially or on bootleg to be the Lee Perry mix of "Complete Control".
Attachments
20220213_145355.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 10:57am
So it's very possible that the more Ska sounding version of "Pressure Drop" remixed by Bill Price for inclusion on the "Black Market Clash" 10" is this version.

Also that WMiHP is the version later released as the RAR version. It would make sense as this version contains the older lyrics "millions of Yen down Japan way".

And "The Prisoner (Alt. Mix)" also from this session. The version I have which is listed as being from "Oct-Nov'77" is this version. It has a different guitar riff finale more in keeping with what was played live in '77.

Leaving the only track not released from this session officially or on bootleg to be the Lee Perry mix of "Complete Control".
The Lee Perry mix of "Complete Control" & the possible demo or outtake of "City Of The Dead" would probably be on the top of my unheard Clash list.

Fingers crossed!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 11:56am
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 10:57am

The Lee Perry mix of "Complete Control" & the possible demo or outtake of "City Of The Dead" would probably be on the top of my unheard Clash list.

Fingers crossed!
Well as TeddyB said further up.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia