The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Post by FarawayTowns »

Hi

Long time Clash fan here finally decided to take the plunge and join after viewing the board for years.

A little bit of information about Broadway.
According to a note written by Paul Simonon in the London Calling scrapbook Broadway was recorded along with Bankrobber, Shepherds Delight and Rockers Galore in early Feb 1980 in Manchester. Although slightly confusingly Paul says it was in Strawberry Studio but every other reference say it was Pluto.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

FarawayTowns wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 3:07pm
Hi

Long time Clash fan here finally decided to take the plunge and join after viewing the board for years.

According to a note written by Paul Simonon in the London Calling scrapbook Broadway was recorded along with Bankrobber, Shepherds Delight and Rockers Galore in early Feb 1980 in Manchester. Although slightly confusingly Paul says it was in Strawberry Studio but every other reference say it was Pluto.
First of all, welcome! Secondly, I'm wondering if Paul is not remembering it correctly?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 2:08pm
Excellent work!

The Junco entry contradicts CK's CCR guess that Paul didn't play on it, which I can see because of the glissandos on the first beat of the bassline. But who knows, maybe he was getting better.
Mick?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 3:42pm
Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 2:08pm
Excellent work!

The Junco entry contradicts CK's CCR guess that Paul didn't play on it, which I can see because of the glissandos on the first beat of the bassline. But who knows, maybe he was getting better.
Mick?
Likely, if not Paul, but I also think that if they let Paul play on anything it would be the reggae bits.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

WestwayKid wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 3:41pm
FarawayTowns wrote:
Hi

First of all, welcome! Secondly, I'm wondering if Paul is not remembering it correctly?
Thanks. I think that you are correct regarding the studio as Paul initially wrote ' Some studio in Manchester' and above it he has written 'Strawberry Studio' . As the letter was handwritten by Paul in early 1980 less reason to doubt what was recorded.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

FarawayTowns wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 4:24pm
WestwayKid wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Hi

Thanks. I think that you are correct regarding the studio as Paul initially wrote ' Some studio in Manchester' and above it he has written 'Strawberry Studio' . As the letter was handwritten by Paul in early 1980 less reason to doubt what was recorded.
Is this part of a diary entry included in the scrapbook?

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:18pm
FarawayTowns wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Hi

It's more like a report / letter. Also just read on the following page a report from Joe where he also writes 'Pluto studios, Manchester the group recorded Bankrobber, On Broadway and Mikey toasted Bankrobber to come up with a Rockers on a UK tour'. So it seems pretty conclusive that Broadway was recorded at the same time as Bankrobber. I guess this makes Broadway a strong contender for being the first Sandinista track that they recorded or even wrote?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

FarawayTowns wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 7:35pm
Kory wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Hi

It's more like a report / letter. Also just read on the following page a report from Joe where he also writes 'Pluto studios, Manchester the group recorded Bankrobber, On Broadway and Mikey toasted Bankrobber to come up with a Rockers on a UK tour'. So it seems pretty conclusive that Broadway was recorded at the same time as Bankrobber. I guess this makes Broadway a strong contender for being the first Sandinista track that they recorded or even wrote?
Great info, cheers.

I always thought Broadway was a bit of a steal from Walking On the Moon by the Police which would date it as written late 79. It may have been an innocent coincidence though!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 7:46pm
FarawayTowns wrote:
Kory wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Great info, cheers.

I always thought Broadway was a bit of a steal from Walking On the Moon by the Police which would date it as written late 79. It may have been an innocent coincidence though!
One of the Police's worst songs, and that's saying a lot.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 8:01pm
Heston wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Kory wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:

Great info, cheers.

I remember hearing it for the first time on John Peel and being blown away.
Benefitted by being released during 2 Tone explosion in November 1979

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Kory wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:

Great info, cheers.

I like it musically but Sting's over reaching Bob Marley impersonation kills it stone dead.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 8:20pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Kory wrote:

Great info, cheers.

I say this as someone who likes most of Zenyatta and half each of Outlandos and Reggatta, the song just doesn't do much for me when actual reggae exists.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 8:33pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 8:20pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:

Great info, cheers.

I say this as someone who likes most of Zenyatta and half each of Outlandos and Reggatta, the song just doesn't do much for me when actual reggae exists.
I get that and it doesn’t do much for me now but when it first came out it sounded different.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Did the Clash ever officially record Althea & Donna's "Uptown Top Ranking" and Desmond Dekker's "The Israelites"? I think the former was to be a Peel session and the latter on a UK TV show?
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

YoungParisians wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 9:49am
Did the Clash ever officially record Althea & Donna's "Uptown Top Ranking" and Desmond Dekker's "The Israelites"? I think the former was to be a Peel session and the latter on a UK TV show?
As far as I know, Israelites was performed once on Alright Now in 1979. Heston posted the footage not too long ago:

I'm keeping live appearances separate because that'll be a whole massive separate endeavor that bmc has covered far more thoroughly than I ever would.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.