The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Post by matedog »

Updated what I could on London Calling including some of the credits. Any more info would be appreciated. Does anyone have a timeline for the Vanilla Tapes? I skimmed Route 19 and only found that the demos extended into early July (79), but I'm not sure when they started. I'm reluctant to include demo sessions as those are even harder to track down, but these have an official release and seem like they should be easy to pin down.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

FarawayTowns wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 7:35pm
Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 5:18pm
FarawayTowns wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 4:24pm
WestwayKid wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 3:41pm
FarawayTowns wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 3:07pm
Hi

Long time Clash fan here finally decided to take the plunge and join after viewing the board for years.

A little bit of information about Broadway.
According to a note written by Paul Simonon in the London Calling scrapbook Broadway was recorded along with Bankrobber, Shepherds Delight and Rockers Galore in early Feb 1980 in Manchester. Although slightly confusingly Paul says it was in Strawberry Studio but every other reference say it was Pluto.
First of all, welcome! Secondly, I'm wondering if Paul is not remembering it correctly?
Thanks. I think that you are correct regarding the studio as Paul initially wrote ' Some studio in Manchester' and above it he has written 'Strawberry Studio' . As the letter was handwritten by Paul in early 1980 less reason to doubt what was recorded.
Is this part of a diary entry included in the scrapbook?

It's more like a report / letter. Also just read on the following page a report from Joe where he also writes 'Pluto studios, Manchester the group recorded Bankrobber, On Broadway and Mikey toasted Bankrobber to come up with a Rockers on a UK tour'. So it seems pretty conclusive that Broadway was recorded at the same time as Bankrobber. I guess this makes Broadway a strong contender for being the first Sandinista track that they recorded or even wrote?
That is pretty persuasive, I'd say. The common story from most of the sources is that the New York recording sessions in April inspired Joe to write Broadway and that it was likely recorded at Wessex in August. Baker apparently has an anecdote about it in the Clash on Broadway box. That being said, none of that is definitive and having two fairly contemporaneous accounts from Joe and Paul seem more persuasive. Furthermore, I believe Paul has cowriting credits on this track and he wasn't around for the April sessions (he could have contributed to the writing during the recording process in August, so this isn't definitive either).

Still, I think Passion notes that Shepherd's Delight was recorded as well. I'll leave that until I hear something otherwise.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

matedog wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 11:51am
FarawayTowns wrote:
Kory wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

First of all, welcome! Secondly, I'm wondering if Paul is not remembering it correctly?
Thanks. I think that you are correct regarding the studio as Paul initially wrote ' Some studio in Manchester' and above it he has written 'Strawberry Studio' . As the letter was handwritten by Paul in early 1980 less reason to doubt what was recorded.

It's more like a report / letter. Also just read on the following page a report from Joe where he also writes 'Pluto studios, Manchester the group recorded Bankrobber, On Broadway and Mikey toasted Bankrobber to come up with a Rockers on a UK tour'. So it seems pretty conclusive that Broadway was recorded at the same time as Bankrobber. I guess this makes Broadway a strong contender for being the first Sandinista track that they recorded or even wrote?
That is pretty persuasive, I'd say. The common story from most of the sources is that the New York recording sessions in April inspired Joe to write Broadway and that it was likely recorded at Wessex in August. Baker apparently has an anecdote about it in the Clash on Broadway box. That being said, none of that is definitive and having two fairly contemporaneous accounts from Joe and Paul seem more persuasive. Furthermore, I believe Paul has cowriting credits on this track and he wasn't around for the April sessions (he could have contributed to the writing during the recording process in August, so this isn't definitive either).

Still, I think Passion notes that Shepherd's Delight was recorded as well. I'll leave that until I hear something otherwise.
And you can still smell the fog of weed when the wind's right.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Kory wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Where do people get these songwriting credits from? They aren't in the liner notes are they?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 5:02pm
matedog wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Kory wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:

Where do people get these songwriting credits from? They aren't in the liner notes are they?
One of the books (I think Route 19) went into detail about the credits. But more thoroughly, there is a Clash songbook that Heston has referenced that has very detailed (and occasionally interesting) songwriting credits for S! and CR.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 5:15pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Kory wrote:

One of the books (I think Route 19) went into detail about the credits. But more thoroughly, there is a Clash songbook that Heston has referenced that has very detailed (and occasionally interesting) songwriting credits for S! and CR.
Yes, I have the Complete Chord Songbook which has the real writing credits from the publishers, not the "The Clash" facade which was used on the back covers of the albums. I can try and get a full list up here at some point if anyone is interested.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Broadway was written by Strummer/Jones/Simonon.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 5:53pm
Broadway was written by Strummer/Jones/Simonon.
Simonon should have taken lead vocals.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 5:52pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:

Yes, I have the Complete Chord Songbook which has the real writing credits from the publishers, not the "The Clash" facade which was used on the back covers of the albums. I can try and get a full list up here at some point if anyone is interested.
Yes, I'm quite interested in that, and we could have a CK-esque "who did what" debate as to what section was written by whom.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 8:45pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:

Yes, I'm quite interested in that, and we could have a CK-esque "who did what" debate as to what section was written by whom.
I'll try and get on it over the weekend mate.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 8:46pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

I was surprised when somebody mentioned that Paul had a hand in Rebel Waltz. I wonder if he just didn't realize he was playing in 3/4.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 8:58pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

I was surprised when somebody mentioned that Paul had a hand in Rebel Waltz. I wonder if he just didn't realize he was playing in 3/4.
How do we know it was bassline he was credited for? It may have been lyrics and/or vocal melody.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:

I'd certainly be interested As a non-musician I'd never even look at that book, so was unaware of the details it must hold.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 3:07am
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

How do we know it was bassline he was credited for? It may have been lyrics and/or vocal melody.
I guarantee it wasn't the vocal melody.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 2:03pm
Heston wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 3:07am
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

I guarantee it wasn't the vocal melody.
And the only lyrics we know he wrote for sure is GOB right? Broadway's lyrics seem a bit more...advanced than a song about movie that Paul likes.