The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 12:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 11:13am
matedog wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 10:36am
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 10:22am
As Heston says above.

Here are some addresses and info that might help.

Marcus Music, Kensington Gardens Square, London.

Ear Studios, The People's Hall, Frestonia, London.

Glyn Johns Garden Studio, Warnford, Hampshire.
Thanks guys. I'll assume M2S was from the Ear Studios sessions and revise accordingly.
Silly question but you are aware of this site?

https://clash.fandom.com/wiki/Midnight_To_Stevens
I contributed to that site a loooooong time ago, so I was aware, but totally forgot about it. Looks pretty thorough too. Those dates are great too.
😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

matedog wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 9:53am
Just noticed this on the COB wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_on_Broadway) for Midnight to Stevens:
"recorded at People's Hall, Frestonia, London in 1981"

That doesn't match up with any of the locations on the sessionography. Anyone have a COB booklet handy to see if there is more information on this? I'm showing there was the Marcus Music sessions in April 81 and Ear Studios in September 81 (I believe both are London) before the Electric lady/NYC sessions.
"The lost track, everyone had forgotten about it.I had no idea when I heard it again, for the first time last week what I was going to sing next. I remember the mobile setting up in The People's Hall and I remember doing some demos, but I don't remember recording 'Midnight To Stevens' at all."
--Joe in COB booklet.

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

matedog wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 2:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 6:14am
matedog wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 1:04am
The Sessionography is the best I could muster for Sandinista and I got a lot further than I thought I would. Still, not a lot of recording information on Charlie.
Cheers Andrew.
I double checked Passion is a Fashion and RLGIT and got nothing.

I maybe erroneously assume that NWR and Gallagher were a packaged deal on Sandinista! so I thought maybe presence of Gallagher would confirm NWR. I gave Charlie a listen and it definitely has keys/organ, but it's really hard for me to tell if it's Joe/Mick or Mickey. So basically, I'm grasping for clues on the NWR/Paul thing and am coming up empty handed.

Kory's input is probably the best we got, but he even isn't conclusive about it. The bass part sounds distinct but not as virtuosic as Call Up or Lightning. So who knows? I guess asking Paul or NWR would be a good way to go, especially if they are on social media which of course they aren't. Likely they'd just say something like, "oh I don't remember that time very well so I don't remember if I played on this song that you love."
"I got a call, come over to Electric Lady Studios in New York and bring Norman Watt-Roy with you. Paul's away making a film, we need a bass player. We spent five days there...It was some sort of experiment in recording where you go into a studio with all the pressure on you, without any material!...The mood was great, very creative, very instant."
Mickey Gallagher in COB booklet

Aside from giving a time-box on NWR, this quote might also be taken to indicate that any Sandinista song played live prior to this session would not have been worked on.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

marxwallace wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 6:03pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
The Sessionography is the best I could muster for Sandinista and I got a lot further than I thought I would. Still, not a lot of recording information on Charlie.
Cheers Andrew.

I maybe erroneously assume that NWR and Gallagher were a packaged deal on Sandinista! so I thought maybe presence of Gallagher would confirm NWR. I gave Charlie a listen and it definitely has keys/organ, but it's really hard for me to tell if it's Joe/Mick or Mickey. So basically, I'm grasping for clues on the NWR/Paul thing and am coming up empty handed.

Kory's input is probably the best we got, but he even isn't conclusive about it. The bass part sounds distinct but not as virtuosic as Call Up or Lightning. So who knows? I guess asking Paul or NWR would be a good way to go, especially if they are on social media which of course they aren't. Likely they'd just say something like, "oh I don't remember that time very well so I don't remember if I played on this song that you love."
"I got a call, come over to Electric Lady Studios in New York and bring Norman Watt-Roy with you. Paul's away making a film, we need a bass player. We spent five days there...It was some sort of experiment in recording where you go into a studio with all the pressure on you, without any material!...The mood was great, very creative, very instant."

Aside from giving a time-box on NWR, this quote might also be taken to indicate that any Sandinista song played live prior to this session would not have been worked on.
Somebody Got Murdered is really the only thing played prior to the NY sessions. That droning acid trip Charlie they played once doesn’t really count because it’s sooo different.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

matedog wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 7:26pm
marxwallace wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Cheers Andrew.

Somebody Got Murdered is really the only thing played prior to the NY sessions. That droning acid trip Charlie they played once doesn’t really count because it’s sooo different.
What show was that?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

marxwallace wrote:
03 May 2021, 11:57am
matedog wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 7:26pm
marxwallace wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Cheers Andrew.

What show was that?
1980-05-24:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

I am always amazed by this monumental sessionography, a doubt: in the session of April 7-April 20 at Electric Lady (New York) there is no lack of Tymon Dogg - violin, vocal?
Music is the only thing that matters

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Narrowing down the dates they were in Marquee studios in 1978...
marquee1.jpg
marquee2.jpg
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

marquee3.jpg
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 8:59pm

marquee1.jpg

marquee2.jpg
Very cool, where did you happen to find these Heston?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston

Post by Heston »

Sparky wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 9:18pm
Heston wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 8:59pm

marquee1.jpg

marquee2.jpg
Very cool, where did you happen to find these Heston?
Clash City Collectors page on FB.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 9:00pm
marquee3.jpg
I think the March dates are for the first takes early versions.

The record label states June. So it's fair to assume they went back and reworked the tracks. You can clearly hear extra instruments in the final mixes.
Attachments
the-clash-tommy-gun-1978-4.jpg
the-clash-tommy-gun-1978-4.jpg (222.12 KiB) Viewed 1718 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 5:31am
Heston wrote:
marquee3.jpg

The record label states June. So it's fair to assume they went back and reworked the tracks. You can clearly hear extra instruments in the final mixes.
SBMC has all the songs from the Marquee sessions as being recorded in March, except 1-2 Crush On You, which they have down as March and "possibly June."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 10:11am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
marquee3.jpg

SBMC has all the songs from the Marquee sessions as being recorded in March, except 1-2 Crush On You, which they have down as March and "possibly June."
Yeah I think the "June" date is just plain wrong. I was just showing the label to highlight that record companies rarely have a clue.

1-2 Crush on You
Pressure Drop
The Prisoner
Clash City Rockers

Had all been recorded in late October/early November '77.

Then the March '78 Marquee session.
(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais (RAR version) Though I think the later version recorded at Basing Street Studio used the same backing track.
The Prisoner
Pressure Drop
Time Is Tight

I think "The Prisoner", "Pressure Drop" and "1-2 Crush on You" were the same late '77 takes with overdubs/mixing done in March for their respective B-side takes.

"Time Is Tight" was later remixed at Wessex Sound Studio in August '79.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 11:16am
Heston wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 10:11am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
marquee3.jpg

Yeah I think the "June" date is just plain wrong. I was just showing the label to highlight that record companies rarely have a clue.

1-2 Crush on You
Pressure Drop
The Prisoner
Clash City Rockers

Had all been recorded in late October/early November '77.

Then the March '78 Marquee session.
(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais (RAR version) Though I think the later version recorded at Basing Street Studio used the same backing track.
The Prisoner
Pressure Drop
Time Is Tight

I think "The Prisoner", "Pressure Drop" and "1-2 Crush on You" were the same late '77 takes with overdubs/mixing done in March for their respective B-side takes.

"Time Is Tight" was later remixed at Wessex Sound Studio in August '79.
Plenty for Matey to sift through then. ;)