The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 6:14am
matedog wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 1:04am
The Sessionography is the best I could muster for Sandinista and I got a lot further than I thought I would. Still, not a lot of recording information on Charlie.
Cheers Andrew.
I double checked Passion is a Fashion and RLGIT and got nothing.

I maybe erroneously assume that NWR and Gallagher were a packaged deal on Sandinista! so I thought maybe presence of Gallagher would confirm NWR. I gave Charlie a listen and it definitely has keys/organ, but it's really hard for me to tell if it's Joe/Mick or Mickey. So basically, I'm grasping for clues on the NWR/Paul thing and am coming up empty handed.

Kory's input is probably the best we got, but he even isn't conclusive about it. The bass part sounds distinct but not as virtuosic as Call Up or Lightning. So who knows? I guess asking Paul or NWR would be a good way to go, especially if they are on social media which of course they aren't. Likely they'd just say something like, "oh I don't remember that time very well so I don't remember if I played on this song that you love."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 2:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 6:14am
matedog wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 1:04am
The Sessionography is the best I could muster for Sandinista and I got a lot further than I thought I would. Still, not a lot of recording information on Charlie.
Cheers Andrew.
I double checked Passion is a Fashion and RLGIT and got nothing.

I maybe erroneously assume that NWR and Gallagher were a packaged deal on Sandinista! so I thought maybe presence of Gallagher would confirm NWR. I gave Charlie a listen and it definitely has keys/organ, but it's really hard for me to tell if it's Joe/Mick or Mickey. So basically, I'm grasping for clues on the NWR/Paul thing and am coming up empty handed.

Kory's input is probably the best we got, but he even isn't conclusive about it. The bass part sounds distinct but not as virtuosic as Call Up or Lightning. So who knows? I guess asking Paul or NWR would be a good way to go, especially if they are on social media which of course they aren't. Likely they'd just say something like, "oh I don't remember that time very well so I don't remember if I played on this song that you love."
Yeah I guess it's all so long ago and only fools like us really care about this stuff. Listening again to the track earlier I'm with Kory that it doesn't sound like Paul. I played a couple of live versions and there is a distinct difference in the feel to the album version.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I wish I could remember where I saw it in print that Norman played on CDS.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 3:26pm
The Beano?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 3:47pm
Heston wrote:
The Beano?
Whizzer and Chips I think!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 3:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
The Beano?
:mrgreen: Quality!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
The Beano?
I met Norman in a pub about 10 minutes walk from The Beano's office once, and never thought to ask.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
The Beano?
This is where I need the UK/US translator.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 6:59pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
The Beano?
This is where I need the UK/US translator.
Both are children's comics.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JChampion wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 10:48pm
I was under the impression that Norman Watt-Roy was the bass player on most of Sandinista! because of Paul filming "Ladies and Gentleman, The Fabulous Stains".
Of course I have no idea how much or which songs.
The sessionography at the beginning of this thread is a damn fine record of all we know at this point. But basically the rule of thumb is, if it's one of the more complicated songs, it's probably not Paul.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 5:27pm
JChampion wrote:
I was under the impression that Norman Watt-Roy was the bass player on most of Sandinista! because of Paul filming "Ladies and Gentleman, The Fabulous Stains".
The sessionography at the beginning of this thread is a damn fine record of all we know at this point. But basically the rule of thumb is, if it's one of the more complicated songs, it's probably not Paul.
What are assumed/confirmed to be NWR? Wikipedia has a specific list: Mag 7, Call Up, Lose This Skin, and Lightning Strikes. Those all seem likely, but I don't know where that comes from. Anything else we suspect is NWR? Other than CDS.

matedog

Post by matedog »

I emailed Pat Gilbert asking him because why not? He responded about the Style Scott info, so maybe he'll know something.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 6:07pm
Kory wrote:
JChampion wrote:
What are assumed/confirmed to be NWR? Wikipedia has a specific list: Mag 7, Call Up, Lose This Skin, and Lightning Strikes. Those all seem likely, but I don't know where that comes from. Anything else we suspect is NWR? Other than CDS.
Something is nagging in the back of my mind that I've read he plays on Something About England as well. Where I've read this - again - I'm not sure. First edition of LGiT?

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 6:16pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
JChampion wrote:
Something is nagging in the back of my mind that I've read he plays on Something About England as well. Where I've read this - again - I'm not sure. First edition of LGiT?
Just reread Passion is a Fashion excerpt I cited and it corroborates "half a dozen tracks" in the April Electric Lady sessions:
The Call Up
The Magnificent Seven
Lightning Strikes
Every Little Bit Hurts
Lose This Skin
Stop the World

The assumption is they didn't play the Wessex sessions later that summer.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 6:25pm
Heston wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 6:16pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
JChampion wrote:
Just reread Passion is a Fashion excerpt I cited and it corroborates "half a dozen tracks" in the April Electric Lady sessions:
The Call Up
The Magnificent Seven
Lightning Strikes
Every Little Bit Hurts
Lose This Skin
Stop the World

The assumption is they didn't play the Wessex sessions later that summer.
I think it's highly likely NWR is on Hitsville, Look Here, and One More Time. I might be convinced on SAE, but I have a pet theory that Mick just played bass on all the songs he had vocals on, to save studio time if nothing else.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc