The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 12:03am
Okay, Passion is a Fashion says March along with the other songs, Complete Control says February. Page 263 of Return of Last Gang says "WMHP had already been recorded at CBS Studios with Mick producing, but the band still needed a b-side. In March, a few evening sessions were booked at Marquee Studio...(goes on to talk about the March tracks).

Since it's two sources to one, I'm going to keep WMHP as its own session in February but make a note about the discrepancy.
So that means the first vocal take (RAR version) is from Feb CBS and the second vocal take (Single Version) from the Marquee sessions.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 5:11am
matedog wrote:
Okay, Passion is a Fashion says March along with the other songs, Complete Control says February. Page 263 of Return of Last Gang says "WMHP had already been recorded at CBS Studios with Mick producing, but the band still needed a b-side. In March, a few evening sessions were booked at Marquee Studio...(goes on to talk about the March tracks).

Since it's two sources to one, I'm going to keep WMHP as its own session in February but make a note about the discrepancy.
So that means the first vocal take (RAR version) is from Feb CBS and the second vocal take (Single Version) from the Marquee sessions.
I also think so. Personally I find two distinct sessions more logical, one for A-side (February) another for possible B-side (march), and probably in the March session some overdubbing on WMHP (new vocal).
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 5:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 5:11am
matedog wrote:

I also think so. Personally I find two distinct sessions more logical, one for A-side (February) another for possible B-side (march), and probably in the March session some overdubbing on WMHP (new vocal).
No I think the A-side vocal is the one from the Marquee the later vocal. The earlier vocal (CBS possibly?) the (RAR) one has the line about "dollars /USA yen down Japan way" which was changed for the single. It's also been mentioned there were 3/4 different versions. My personal feelings are that both the RAR & the A-side were recorded at the Marquee sessions.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Did I say Casbah? I meant KYR. But they might have done more. Generally, I think the RPFFB vocals are weak.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 3:08pm
Did I say Casbah? I meant KYR. But they might have done more. Generally, I think the RPFFB vocals are weak.
Agreed to a point. They nailed Casbah and Straight To Hell, and I think Sean Flynn is a decent vocal by Joe.

The biggest difference was Ghetto Defendant, which goes from being one of Joe's worst ever vocals on RP to one of his best on CR. Maybe Glyn should have re-recorded them all.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

"Time is Tight" was released only in the remix version, but is the original mix available? And where can I find it?
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 3:23am
"Time is Tight" was released only in the remix version, but is the original mix available? And where can I find it?
No is the answer. It was originally released on "Black Market Clash" but it was remixed by Bill Price at Wessex Sound in '79. Then there is the version I partly remixed and remastered.

The track had sat in the vault until the BMC release. I think it was Kosmo who had said if they had realised it was in the vault that we wouldn't have got "Train in Vain" because it was initially said to be for a flexi disc for the NME and they would've used "Time Is Tight".

It should be noted that "Pressure Drop" on the Black Market Clash 10" is also remixed by Bill Price making it slightly different to the original B-side.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

evair
Dirty Punk

Post by evair »

What a great topic!
The greatest legacy he leaves is that he made a generation of people think for themselves. He didnt quite manage to change the world but he changed the way people looked at it. It's a sad day - but what a life

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

evair wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 2:30pm
What a great topic!
'bout time, huh?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

evair wrote:
What a great topic!
Welcome back long time no see!!!!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 4:27pm
evair wrote:
What a great topic!
Welcome back long time no see!!!!
Ditto. How's Blumenau?
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

daveddd111
Corner Soul

Post by daveddd111 »

So....who's going to put all the tracks together in chronological order and upload them somewhere? :-)

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

If you could load all info onto dates and make it a calendar to stick on the wall (e.g., January 1: Clash records White Riot Rehearsal Rehearsals 1976; Joe Strummer places burning bag of dog crap on Bernie's doormat, 1985) or something similar, I'd buy a copy!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

If you could load all info onto dates and make it a calendar to stick on the wall (e.g., January 1: Clash records White Riot Rehearsal Rehearsals 1976; Joe Strummer places burning bag of dog crap on Bernie's doormat, 1985) or something similar, I'd buy a copy!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

gkbill wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 4:23pm
Hello,

I'm picturing a large, wall sized poster!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble