The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Post by Marky Dread »

daveddd111 wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 6:12am
So....who's going to put all the tracks together in chronological order and upload them somewhere? :-)
Sony.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

This is an amazing thread. Book-worthy. Thank you @matedog for the work.

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Looking back at the pages I reviewed this fundamental topic, thanks again matedog :mrgreen:
Music is the only thing that matters

Gimmix
Corner Soul

Post by Gimmix »

matedog wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 12:58am
Okay, here's the work in progress studio log/sessionography.
<massive snip />
Interesting stuff, thanks for putting all that info together in one place :cool:

Cheers, Gimmix.

InthePouringRain
Corner Soul

Post by InthePouringRain »

Just an addition: since Charlie Don't Surf was debuted live at around the same time as Somebody Got Murdered, in April/May 1980, it would make sense that the former was also recorded during the August/September Wessex sessions as Somebody Got Murdered. Just a guess, but would align with the fact that it sounds like Paul playing the bass on it, and that it only has Mickey Gallagher on the organ as an additional musician.

Also, is there the possibility that Hitsville UK was recorded during the Spirit of St. Louis sessions?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

InthePouringRain wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:18pm
Just an addition: since Charlie Don't Surf was debuted live at around the same time as Somebody Got Murdered, in April/May 1980, it would make sense that the former was also recorded during the August/September Wessex sessions as Somebody Got Murdered. Just a guess, but would align with the fact that it sounds like Paul playing the bass on it, and that it only has Mickey Gallagher on the organ as an additional musician.

Also, is there the possibility that Hitsville UK was recorded during the Spirit of St. Louis sessions?
I'd be very surprised if Paul turned out to be on Hitsville. That line has some articulation that really doesn't sound like him. It looks like NWR was on the Foley album, so that scans to me. SGM does sound like Paul, but I'm a bit dubious about CDS—the articulation, again, doesn't really sound like him but I could be wrong.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 5:36pm
InthePouringRain wrote:

I'd be very surprised if Paul turned out to be on Hitsville. That line has some articulation that really doesn't sound like him. It looks like NWR was on the Foley album, so that scans to me. SGM does sound like Paul, but I'm a bit dubious about CDS—the articulation, again, doesn't really sound like him but I could be wrong.
Whilst you may be correct Kory. I will point out that Paul played the bass lines to CDS brilliantly live.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 6:12pm
Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 5:36pm
InthePouringRain wrote:

Whilst you may be correct Kory. I will point out that Paul played the bass lines to CDS brilliantly live.
Yeah, they are good, but it's because we have those live recordings that I make that consideration. We have recordings of Paul definitely playing those lines (again, quite well), vs. a recorded version that by comparison sounds like another player.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I thought CDS was one of the songs we knew Norman played on. I think it was documented.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 9:10pm
I thought CDS was one of the songs we knew Norman played on. I think it was documented.
Has there been an official list of who plays on what?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 6:39am
Heston wrote:
No but I remember him identifying it as one he played on in an interview.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 7:11am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 6:39am
Heston wrote:
No but I remember him identifying it as one he played on in an interview.
Yeah I wasn't questioning that he plays on it. As a Clash fan it occurs to me none of us lost out by having Norman Watt-Roy play on Clash songs. He is by far the best bass player I have ever seen and I've seen a fair few.

Just think it would be cool if we could piece together from stuff like interviews etc who played on what. I know Matey is great at collating this stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

I was under the impression that Norman Watt-Roy was the bass player on most of Sandinista! because of Paul filming "Ladies and Gentleman, The Fabulous Stains".
Of course I have no idea how much or which songs.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

The Sessionography is the best I could muster for Sandinista and I got a lot further than I thought I would. Still, not a lot of recording information on Charlie.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 1:04am
The Sessionography is the best I could muster for Sandinista and I got a lot further than I thought I would. Still, not a lot of recording information on Charlie.
Cheers Andrew.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia