The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Post by Marky Dread »

River wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 6:34am
With Tymon just brought up, something I've been curious about recently. Who does the high backing vocals on "The Sound of the Sinnners" ? During the choruses, there's the vocal going along with Joe that certainly doesn't sound like Mick to my ears at least. I've at this point guessed it's either some studio musician who didn't get the credit, or it's Tymon's voice. I've been more inclined to think it's Tymon because it seems to fit a bit more to how he sings.
Yep that "Judgement Day" backing vocal is Mick.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 6:51am
River wrote:
With Tymon just brought up, something I've been curious about recently. Who does the high backing vocals on "The Sound of the Sinnners" ? During the choruses, there's the vocal going along with Joe that certainly doesn't sound like Mick to my ears at least. I've at this point guessed it's either some studio musician who didn't get the credit, or it's Tymon's voice. I've been more inclined to think it's Tymon because it seems to fit a bit more to how he sings.
I think River means the vocal harmony on the chorus, "after all this time etc", I'm sure I once read it was Topper.

And I thought the "judgement day" bits were Den Hegarty from Darts? Mick may also have backed those bits up as they are harmonised, but the very low part sounds too deep for Mick's tenor voice.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 8:20am
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:
I think River means the vocal harmony on the chorus, "after all this time etc", I'm sure I once read it was Topper.

And I thought the "judgement day" bits were Den Hegarty from Darts? Mick may also have backed those bits up as they are harmonised, but the very low part sounds too deep for Mick's tenor voice.
I posed this question years ago and I think Rattie confirmed it but I think it was solely based on his ears not any kind of interview or more definitive source. That being said, it sounds more like Topper than Tymon to me with the caveat that my ears are pretty bad at picking out harmonies.

The Hegarty bit also makes sense since he does the spoken word outro and I believe he did the low harmony on the Israelites cover too.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:

Ahh yep gotcha.. the harmonised "judgement day" do indeed sound like Mick and Den to my ears. And those backing vocals on the "after all this time" do indeed sound like Topper. It's not Tymon as there is no wavering in the vocal.

Here's a quick remix where you can hear those high vocals more clearly.
https://mega.nz/file/wlomVLKS#yiqM2HAih ... Kj3FIFJWo0

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 9:57am
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:

Ahh yep gotcha.. the harmonised "judgement day" do indeed sound like Mick and Den to my ears. And those backing vocals on the "after all this time" do indeed sound like Topper. It's not Tymon as there is no wavering in the vocal.

Nice. And yeah, that still sounds like Topper. Particularly the lack of vibrato as you noted.

I had to let the song keep going because that second verse is one of my favorite Joe moments where his vocal just keeps getting more unhinged as the verse progresses.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 1:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:

Nice. And yeah, that still sounds like Topper. Particularly the lack of vibrato as you noted.

I had to let the song keep going because that second verse is one of my favorite Joe moments where his vocal just keeps getting more unhinged as the verse progresses.
Yeah that's terrific.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 1:44pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah that's terrific.
All very interesting! I had read at the beginning of the thread that Topper was singing on it, but I just assumed it was the "judgement day" stuff. Topper's not too bad a singer in all honesty, he's clearly got a decent bit of range singing that high above Joe. And agreed on Joe's delivery, love his voice cracking on "raining from the sky"

Heston

Post by Heston »

River wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 1:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeah that's terrific.
All very interesting! I had read at the beginning of the thread that Topper was singing on it, but I just assumed it was the "judgement day" stuff. Topper's not too bad a singer in all honesty, he's clearly got a decent bit of range singing that high above Joe. And agreed on Joe's delivery, love his voice cracking on "raining from the sky"
I've said it on here before, Topper was probably technically the best singer in the band. But Joe and Mick's voices just oozed much more personality and passion.

And yes, he had decent range. He goes pretty high on the live version of Ivan where they added a key change to the chorus that wasn't on the record.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Heston wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 2:32pm
River wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah that's terrific.
I've said it on here before, Topper was probably technically the best singer in the band. But Joe and Mick's voices just oozed much more personality and passion.

And yes, he had decent range. He goes pretty high on the live version of Ivan where they added a key change to the chorus that wasn't on the record.
Love the key change they'd do for live Ivan. I've always had a soft spot for the song, and that key change is the best thing they added to it. Makes it way more interesting.

Heston

Post by Heston »

River wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 4:55pm
Heston wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 2:32pm
River wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

Yeah that's terrific.

Love the key change they'd do for live Ivan. I've always had a soft spot for the song, and that key change is the best thing they added to it. Makes it way more interesting.
Agreed. The Amsterdam version rocks hard.

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:

Thanks for this! I always wondered who was doing backing on this song since it didn’t really sound like Mick to me so I’ll have to listen later to see if I can hear him in there.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 4:54pm
This is a useful book for reference.
My copy arrived today. Just skimmed some of the Combat Rock stuff and it looks like it fills in some of the blanks nicely. No contradictions yet, but I'm sure we'll find some.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 7:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
My copy arrived today. Just skimmed some of the Combat Rock stuff and it looks like it fills in some of the blanks nicely. No contradictions yet, but I'm sure we'll find some.
I may splash out on this. Please give a review when finished.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 7:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Still waiting on mine, should be here by next week. I'm almost through reading "Move Up Starsky", so the timing will be good.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 5:44pm
The book states an early take of "Pressure Drop" "The Prisoner" and an embryonic "(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais" were also recorded at the two sessions with Lee "Scratch" Perry in August '77.

This adds more mystery. Maybe "Pressure Drop" and "The Prisoner" were recorded with Lee Perry but it seems odd that we have never heard the dub mix of "Complete Control" from the same session. Surely the band kept a copy of the mix. Maybe it was these two versions that were reworked later at the Marquee sessions for the B-sides.

The book states that Lee Perry completed the dub mix. The band are said to have respected the mix but wanted a heavier punk sound for the track. So Mick and Mickey remixed it for the single release.
I added these to the Lee Perry session with the caveat of "unreleased." I also added Gary Barnacle to City of the Dead. No sure how I missed that. Updating as I go through the book.