The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Clash Studio Logs/Sessionography

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 10:57am
So it's very possible that the more Ska sounding version of "Pressure Drop" remixed by Bill Price for inclusion on the "Black Market Clash" 10" is this version.

Also that WMiHP is the version later released as the RAR version. It would make sense as this version contains the older lyrics "millions of Yen down Japan way".

And "The Prisoner (Alt. Mix)" also from this session. The version I have which is listed as being from "Oct-Nov'77" is this version. It has a different guitar riff finale more in keeping with what was played live in '77.

Leaving the only track not released from this session officially or on bootleg to be the Lee Perry mix of "Complete Control".

I don’t have more specific info, but on a cassette Mick gave me that same alternate mix of The Prisoner is right after an alternate mix of Clash City Rockers. It’s possible they were recorded at the same time or, perhaps more likely, remixed at the same time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 5:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
So it's very possible that the more Ska sounding version of "Pressure Drop" remixed by Bill Price for inclusion on the "Black Market Clash" 10" is this version.

Also that WMiHP is the version later released as the RAR version. It would make sense as this version contains the older lyrics "millions of Yen down Japan way".

And "The Prisoner (Alt. Mix)" also from this session. The version I have which is listed as being from "Oct-Nov'77" is this version. It has a different guitar riff finale more in keeping with what was played live in '77.

Leaving the only track not released from this session officially or on bootleg to be the Lee Perry mix of "Complete Control".

I don’t have more specific info, but on a cassette Mick gave me that same alternate mix of The Prisoner is right after an alternate mix of Clash City Rockers. It’s possible they were recorded at the same time or, perhaps more likely, remixed at the same time.
That's very interesting indeed. On all the bootlegs and listings I have it states Oct' - Nov' '77 the date of the "Clash City Rockers" session.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
I remember how wild it was listening to the SMBC version of Prisoner on headphones the first time and finding it still has that guitar riff at the end, it's just buried under the louder solo.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 2:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I remember how wild it was listening to the SMBC version of Prisoner on headphones the first time and finding it still has that guitar riff at the end, it's just buried under the louder solo.
Yep that's it. On this earlier take/mix it's reversed you can hear that guitar solo buried under the riff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 11:18am
dave202 wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 10:42am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 9:57am
Heston wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 8:20am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 6:51am

Yep that "Judgement Day" backing vocal is Mick.
I think River means the vocal harmony on the chorus, "after all this time etc", I'm sure I once read it was Topper.

And I thought the "judgement day" bits were Den Hegarty from Darts? Mick may also have backed those bits up as they are harmonised, but the very low part sounds too deep for Mick's tenor voice.
Ahh yep gotcha.. the harmonised "judgement day" do indeed sound like Mick and Den to my ears. And those backing vocals on the "after all this time" do indeed sound like Topper. It's not Tymon as there is no wavering in the vocal.

Here's a quick remix where you can hear those high vocals more clearly.
https://mega.nz/file/wlomVLKS#yiqM2HAih ... Kj3FIFJWo0
Drat! I missed this. Can someone post it again?
Not worth it Dave. It's not anything you would want to keep. Just a quick knock up to empathize the vocal. Not a good mix for keeping as I only did it to hear the vocal.

I didn't even keep it myself as it's a throwaway mix. You've missed nothing.
Can hear it a little better here:

I never noticed the drum flub up about 1:36.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

matedog wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 7:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I think River means the vocal harmony on the chorus, "after all this time etc", I'm sure I once read it was Topper.

And I thought the "judgement day" bits were Den Hegarty from Darts? Mick may also have backed those bits up as they are harmonised, but the very low part sounds too deep for Mick's tenor voice.
Ahh yep gotcha.. the harmonised "judgement day" do indeed sound like Mick and Den to my ears. And those backing vocals on the "after all this time" do indeed sound like Topper. It's not Tymon as there is no wavering in the vocal.

Not worth it Dave. It's not anything you would want to keep. Just a quick knock up to empathize the vocal. Not a good mix for keeping as I only did it to hear the vocal.

Never really paid that much attention to the backing harmony on the chorus, but listening to that it does sound more tymony that toppery to me tbh. Maybe even Ellen. Could be wrong though, very difficult to be sure.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 8:05pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Never really paid that much attention to the backing harmony on the chorus, but listening to that it does sound more tymony that toppery to me tbh. Maybe even Ellen. Could be wrong though, very difficult to be sure.
Surely that shoul be "elleny". ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I think that "drum flub" is more a case of the software used for the extraction. Often it creates distortions.

I still think those bv's are Topper.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 6:22am
Low Down Low wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 8:05pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:

Surely that shoul be "elleny". ;)
Ah...indeedy ;)

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 6:28am
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I think that "drum flub" is more a case of the software used for the extraction. Often it creates distortions.

Agreed it still sounds like Topper to me.

I think the hits are actually a little off after relistening to the regular version. SoS is very weirdly mixed. The backing vocals (not Topper's harmonies, the "judgement day" parts) are by far the loudest in the mix, even louder than Joe. The drums are super low. Sounds like bass, piano, and acoustic guitar otherwise. No wonder it sounded so different live.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 12:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:

I think the hits are actually a little off after relistening to the regular version. SoS is very weirdly mixed. The backing vocals (not Topper's harmonies, the "judgement day" parts) are by far the loudest in the mix, even louder than Joe. The drums are super low. Sounds like bass, piano, and acoustic guitar otherwise. No wonder it sounded so different live.
Another reason it sounded so different live was because they dropped the key by 5 steps.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:

Yeah the uploader might not have checked the speed adjustment against a digital source.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 12:59pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Another reason it sounded so different live was because they dropped the key by 5 steps.
Sounds like it goes from D on the record to A live?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 3:17pm
Heston wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 12:59pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

Sounds like it goes from D on the record to A live?
Correct. Kind of the opposite to Spanish Bombs which goes from A on the record to D live.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

I fleshed out the Sandinista and Combat Rock sessions based on info from Clash FAQ including what songs Norman Watt Roy played on. I think I captured all of Marky's notes from previous posts on this thread for these sessions.

I still have to review the 77/78 comments from Marky.