Bernie Rhodes' on a CTC retrospective

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
JohnSimonBeverly
Dirty Punk

Re: Bernie Rhodes' on a CTC retrospective

Post by JohnSimonBeverly »

Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 4:28pm
Just read both these interviews and they were really damn good and somewhat revelatory. Nice to see them not getting the same old questions and having to tell the same old stories over and over again.
Right? I thought they were both really good, too. Nice to see professional, knowledgeable journalists who both care about the subject matter, know their history, and are able to put the interviewees at ease and get to the personal, interesting stuff. Somewhat of a rarity these days...

So I'm guessing Bern-ARD must be referring to MJ being the one standing in the way of any Clash II-related releases, as PS seems eager to correct the narrative and would hardly be opposed to let the songs get a new chance to be properly heard.

While I didn't think much of them at the time, looking back and listening to Clash II shows now I can enjoy them and respect JS and PS for achieving what they were after (even if they overdid it, especially at first) – a tighter, more focused, back-to-basics and more energetic Clash, after the drug-fueled, wandering erraticness of the late MJ-era band.

Either way – I'm glad you enjoyed the interviews!

Here's another one I enjoyed:
PS: “– But then again, after Mick left, we had a pretty good time. We did loads of shows around America with these new guys, and we did the ‘Busking Tour’ which was really exciting [in May 1985, The Clash hitchhiked and busked around the north of England, at one point following Clash-copyists The Alarm from gig to gig]. Why did we choose the Alarm? Why not? Just to wind them up, really. It was just being playful. We didn’t ever speak to them – they were probably very pissed off. Their bouncers were trying to get rid of us, red paint was chucked at us – it just made it more exciting. It was the last thing we should have done, really, but we had a lot of fun – it was as exciting as the Anarchy tour. You didn’t know where you were going to go next or what was gonna happen and I really enjoyed that.

PS “– I think the last show we played was probably in Greece at some festival and that was really great. We had three guitars by that point, so it gave me a bit more space in some ways. I’d been practising break-dancing for some reason and in the middle of The Magnificent 7, I took the bass off and started spinning around. We were just so comfortable on stage by that point, it didn’t matter – it just mattered that people got a good show.”
https://www.loudersound.com/features/th ... t-the-band

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 6:08pm
Kory wrote:
Just read both these interviews and they were really damn good and somewhat revelatory. Nice to see them not getting the same old questions and having to tell the same old stories over and over again.
Right? I thought they were both really good, too. Nice to see professional, knowledgeable journalists who both care about the subject matter, know their history, and are able to put the interviewees at ease and get to the personal, interesting stuff. Somewhat of a rarity these days...

So I'm guessing Bern-ARD must be referring to MJ being the one standing in the way of any Clash II-related releases, as PS seems eager to correct the narrative and would hardly be opposed to let the songs get a new chance to be properly heard.

While I didn't think much of them at the time, looking back and listening to Clash II shows now I can enjoy them and respect JS and PS for achieving what they were after (even if they overdid it, especially at first) – a tighter, more focused, back-to-basics and more energetic Clash, after the drug-fueled, wandering erraticness of the late MJ-era band.

PS: “– But then again, after Mick left, we had a pretty good time. We did loads of shows around America with these new guys, and we did the ‘Busking Tour’ which was really exciting [in May 1985, The Clash hitchhiked and busked around the north of England, at one point following Clash-copyists The Alarm from gig to gig]. Why did we choose the Alarm? Why not? Just to wind them up, really. It was just being playful. We didn’t ever speak to them – they were probably very pissed off. Their bouncers were trying to get rid of us, red paint was chucked at us – it just made it more exciting. It was the last thing we should have done, really, but we had a lot of fun – it was as exciting as the Anarchy tour. You didn’t know where you were going to go next or what was gonna happen and I really enjoyed that.

PS “– I think the last show we played was probably in Greece at some festival and that was really great. We had three guitars by that point, so it gave me a bit more space in some ways. I’d been practising break-dancing for some reason and in the middle of The Magnificent 7, I took the bass off and started spinning around. We were just so comfortable on stage by that point, it didn’t matter – it just mattered that people got a good show.”
Funny, I've heard it a lot, but I've never thought The Alarm sounded much like The Clash at all, where do you think people get that from?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

AudioAmmunition
Dirty Punk

Post by AudioAmmunition »

Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 8:22pm
Funny, I've heard it a lot, but I've never thought The Alarm sounded much like The Clash at all, where do you think people get that from?
Perhaps visually in their dress style rather than musically. I did hear, I think, Mike Peters saying that 68 Guns was inspired by I Fought The Law. The band were joking about Topper's 6 drum beats (after "robbing people with a 6 gun") and said "what if there had been 68 guns"

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

AudioAmmunition wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 7:02am
Kory wrote:
Perhaps visually in their dress style rather than musically. I did hear, I think, Mike Peters saying that 68 Guns was inspired by I Fought The Law. The band were joking about Topper's 6 drum beats (after "robbing people with a 6 gun") and said "what if there had been 68 guns"
Didnt know that. I never heard the musical connection either but no question The Alarm were heavily inspired by the Clash. I'm thinking a good bit of it was just media hype, someone had to take on the Clash mantle and for a time it was decided that would be The Alarm because they kind of looked the part. Dunno if thats entirely correct, just my dim memory of it.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

AudioAmmunition wrote:
The band were joking about Topper's 6 drum beats (after "robbing people with a 6 gun") and said "what if there had been 68 guns"
I've got to admit, it took me way too long to realise he was literally mimicking the sound of someone shooting a revolver 6 times.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

oliver wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 10:47am
AudioAmmunition wrote:
The band were joking about Topper's 6 drum beats (after "robbing people with a 6 gun") and said "what if there had been 68 guns"
I've got to admit, it took me way too long to realise he was literally mimicking the sound of someone shooting a revolver 6 times.
After Tommy Gun, it was kind of his trademark, eh?

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 2:04pm
oliver wrote:
AudioAmmunition wrote:
The six snare shots in IFtL weren't Toppers idea, it was on the original Bobby Fuller Four single (which Topper supposedly hated and initially said he wouldn't play).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Kory wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 2:04pm
oliver wrote:
AudioAmmunition wrote:
Wait... TG as well?!?
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 11:45am
Given how subversive Bernie likes to consider himself, leaking them would be his own way of asserting their value to his conception of the band, against that of the band themselves, the music press, and music industry. McLaren would have pulling all kinds shady games to muddle the story.
He could release it just like McLaren released "Spunk".
Dave Goodman was behind Spunk.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Given how subversive Bernie likes to consider himself, leaking them would be his own way of asserting their value to his conception of the band, against that of the band themselves, the music press, and music industry. McLaren would have pulling all kinds shady games to muddle the story.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 6:08pm
Kory wrote:

I think The Alarm do sound a bit like The Clash around the era of the CoL EP. Gates of the West with the harmonica and acoustic guitar are very much part of The Alarms sound. It was nice when Joe admitted much later that he always liked them and looked forward to their next releases.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

somebody needs to go and physically rob the tapes from Bernie's house.* it's the only way to make sure we all end up winners.

*note, for legal purposes let me state that this i am making a joke. it would not, in fact, be completely awesome and cool for someone to go into bernie rhodes' house and steal all his clash tapes. it would be wrong and, most importantly, if someone did that i WOULD NOT be guilty of conspiracy because i am VERY ASSUREDLY telling you that I am kidding about what a great and necessary thing this would be for someone to do. Kidding. Really.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

again: theft, the coolest of all crimes, would be wrong even if were to do something as obviously socially beneficial as liberating the ctc tapes from a megalomaniacal asshat. so (don't) do it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My understanding is that, per the current GOP, any crimes are kosher as long as you believe them to be in the country's best interest. So, clearly, stealing Bernie's tapes would be okee dokee.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft