Bernie Rhodes' on a CTC retrospective

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Bernie Rhodes' on a CTC retrospective

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 2:12am
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 3:19pm
I've already got the tapes. Shhhh don't tell Bernie.
It's Ber-NAAARD!!!
I'm in Bernie's inner CiRCle$%#@!**¥₩🤡😈👽😳😱😨😠😇🤢🤕🤒👺💀👹👿😵😧🇦🇨🇦🇩🇦🇪🇦🇫🇦🇬🇦🇮🇦🇮🇦🇺🇦🇹🇦🇸🇦🇷🇦🇶🇦🇴🇦🇲🇦🇼🇦🇽🇦🇿🇧🇦🇧🇧🇧🇩🇧🇪🇧🇲🇧🇱🇧🇯🇧🇮🇧🇭🇧🇬🇧🇫🇧🇳🇧🇾🇨🇭🇨🇮🇧🇿🇧🇿🇨🇺🇨🇷🇨🇻🇨🇰🇨🇦🇧🇶🇧🇷🇨🇨🇨🇱🇨🇼🇨🇽🇨🇲🇨🇩🇧🇸🇧🇹🇨🇫🇨🇳🇨🇾🇨🇿🇨🇴🇨🇬🇧🇼🇬🇬🇫🇴🇪🇸🇩🇴🇩🇲🇪🇷🇬🇫🇬🇪🇫🇰🇩🇰🇩🇯🇬🇩🇬🇧🇬🇭🇪🇺🇩🇴🇪🇪🇮🇹🍺🍩🎈🎯♣️🃏🀄🎴🐵🐵🐵🦊🦊🐽🐽🐮🐯🐽🐯🐶🦌🐖🐗🦌🦍🐱🐎🐎🐷🐄🐴🦊🐏🦁🐩🐃🐆🐧🎷...☎️

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
It's Ber-NAAARD!!!
That's making me think of how the Joker says Mur - RAY.

JohnSimonBeverly
Dirty Punk

Post by JohnSimonBeverly »

Julien Temple praising Clash II:

Interviewer: "At the same time, at some point after those albums they did become just another rock band, didn't they? Certainly their late albums were pretty bad. It's painful for someone who was a fan to see that footage where Joe is trying to keep the band together with a whole new cast of characters, after he had fired Mick. What made him want to do that?

Julien Temple: "He was so signed up to the idea of the Clash as an instrument of change. He became more radical and more kind of preachy, with the last version of the band. I'm someone who is very interested in the second version of the Clash, frankly. I'm not the person to do it, but I think there should be a film about just that. I love some of the live shows I've got on bootleg tapes of that band. The album, where Bernie Rhodes snuck on all these synthesized drums and football chants, has a horrible aspect overlaid on it, but some of those songs are fucking great. I wouldn't close the door on that band."

I hadn't seen this interview before, but it's a great read.

https://www.salon.com/2007/11/01/strummer/
Last edited by JohnSimonBeverly on 04 Feb 2020, 2:26am, edited 1 time in total.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 2:38pm
Julian Temple praising Clash II:

"At the same time, at some point after those albums they did become just another rock band, didn't they? Certainly their late albums were pretty bad. It's painful for someone who was a fan to see that footage where Joe is trying to keep the band together with a whole new cast of characters, after he had fired Mick. What made him want to do that?

He was so signed up to the idea of the Clash as an instrument of change. He became more radical and more kind of preachy, with the last version of the band. I'm someone who is very interested in the second version of the Clash, frankly. I'm not the person to do it, but I think there should be a film about just that. I love some of the live shows I've got on bootleg tapes of that band. The album, where Bernie Rhodes snuck on all these synthesized drums and football chants, has a horrible aspect overlaid on it, but some of those songs are fucking great. I wouldn't close the door on that band."

I've seen a lot of bands and a lot of shows. But i never saw a more cathartic and shamanic performance than Joe put on at those Clash II shows. Even after all these years.

JohnSimonBeverly
Dirty Punk

IkarisOne wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 1:14am

I've seen a lot of bands and a lot of shows. But i never saw a more cathartic and shamanic performance than Joe put on at those Clash II shows. Even after all these years.
I agree that some of those shows (perhaps even the majority) were great. The Barrowlands gig stands out to me from all the live tapes I've heard. Sadly I only saw them in '85, where they seemed to have lost the fire.

Which shows did you see?

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 2:25am
IkarisOne wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 1:14am

I agree that some of those shows (perhaps even the majority) were great. The Barrowlands gig stands out to me from all the live tapes I've heard. Sadly I only saw them in '85, where they seemed to have lost the fire.

Which shows did you see?
Worcester and Providence. The latter was just total mayhem and the former was a brutal, relentless, and well-oiled engine of doom

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 2:38pm
Julien Temple praising Clash II:

Interviewer: "At the same time, at some point after those albums they did become just another rock band, didn't they? Certainly their late albums were pretty bad. It's painful for someone who was a fan to see that footage where Joe is trying to keep the band together with a whole new cast of characters, after he had fired Mick. What made him want to do that?

Julien Temple: "He was so signed up to the idea of the Clash as an instrument of change. He became more radical and more kind of preachy, with the last version of the band. I'm someone who is very interested in the second version of the Clash, frankly. I'm not the person to do it, but I think there should be a film about just that. I love some of the live shows I've got on bootleg tapes of that band. The album, where Bernie Rhodes snuck on all these synthesized drums and football chants, has a horrible aspect overlaid on it, but some of those songs are fucking great. I wouldn't close the door on that band."

I agree. Some of those songs (not all) deserve a better fate than shoddy production values and value priced German synths.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JohnSimonBeverly
Dirty Punk

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:

Which shows did you see?
IkarisOne wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 3:06am
Worcester and Providence. The latter was just total mayhem and the former was a brutal, relentless, and well-oiled engine of doom
I need to give them a listen if they're out there. I just listened to the Hofstra University 1984 show for the first time, and it's just incredible. I hope I can find it in FLAC somewhere so I can remaster it.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 9:29pm
JohnSimonBeverly wrote:

Which shows did you see?
IkarisOne wrote:
I need to give them a listen if they're out there. I just listened to the Hofstra University 1984 show for the first time, and it's just incredible. I hope I can find it in FLAC somewhere so I can remaster it.
Worcester was very much like Hofstra but not quite as chaotic. That version of Career on Hofstra is insane.

I think there might have been a method to Bernie's madness when it came to Pete because the more Bernie pissed him off the more thermonuclear his playing became.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 1:41pm
JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 9:29pm
JohnSimonBeverly wrote:

Which shows did you see?
IkarisOne wrote:
Worcester was very much like Hofstra but not quite as chaotic. That version of Career on Hofstra is insane.

I think there might have been a method to Bernie's madness when it came to Pete because the more Bernie pissed him off the more thermonuclear his playing became.
I think Pete is vastly underrated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnSimonBeverly
Dirty Punk

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 2:55pm

I totally agree, his playing was consistently fantastic. For some reason, the playing by the entire band seems to have become more uninspired and blunt as they went on – perhaps as a result of Bernie and Cosmo's destructive putting down of the new members and the communist self-criticism interrogation sessions nonsense.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 3:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 2:55pm

I totally agree, his playing was consistently fantastic. For some reason, the playing by the entire band seems to have become more uninspired and blunt as they went on – perhaps as a result of Bernie and Cosmo's destructive putting down of the new members and the communist self-criticism interrogation sessions nonsense.
When i saw them in Brixton i thought they showed some real promise. That there was life in the band after Mick and Topper and I don't say that lightly because I'm a huge Mick admirer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnSimonBeverly
Dirty Punk

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 3:21pm
When i saw them in Brixton i thought they showed some real promise. That there was life in the band after Mick and Topper and I don't say that lightly because I'm a huge Mick admirer.
I'm also very much a fan of Mick Jones, but I find most of the shows he played with The Clash from Sandinista! and onwards painful to listen to, because he's so stoned and unfocused. I can totally see why it eventually drove Joe crazy.

Which Brixton show did you see?

All the Brixton recordings I've heard sound like they were really good shows. I only saw the band in 1985, and it felt to me like they had lost the spark by then. Then again that was at the huge Roskilde Festival, so not exactly ideal circumstances.

From the Clash II recordings I've heard, my favorite this far is the Hofstra show – not only is the entire band super tight and energetic and Joe totally on fire, much more nuanced playing than previously, when many shows had a much more blunt, less inspired approach - especially Nick's guitar playing.

From the Clash II shows available, which are your favorites?

(You don't happen to have Worcester and Hofstra in FLAC?)

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

laxman wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 7:51am
JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
It's Ber-NAAARD!!!
That's making me think of how the Joker says Mur - RAY.
The defining moment of the movie for me. Showed off his new found(killer) confidence. He wasn't a nobody anymore.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 7:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 3:21pm
I'm also very much a fan of Mick Jones, but I find most of the shows he played with The Clash from Sandinista! and onwards painful to listen to, because he's so stoned and unfocused. I can totally see why it eventually drove Joe crazy.

Which Brixton show did you see?

All the Brixton recordings I've heard sound like they were really good shows. I only saw the band in 1985, and it felt to me like they had lost the spark by then. Then again that was at the huge Roskilde Festival, so not exactly ideal circumstances.

From the Clash II recordings I've heard, my favorite this far is the Hofstra show – not only is the entire band super tight and energetic and Joe totally on fire, much more nuanced playing than previously, when many shows had a much more blunt, less inspired approach - especially Nick's guitar playing.

From the Clash II shows available, which are your favorites?

(You don't happen to have Worcester and Hofstra in FLAC?)
Its on the megalist