Bernie Rhodes' on a CTC retrospective

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Bernie Rhodes' on a CTC retrospective

Post by Marky Dread »

I've already got the tapes. Shhhh don't tell Bernie.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I would be happy with cleaned up version of the demos. I've long felt that there are some decent songs buried under Bernie's excess and in my opinion the Lucky 8 demos bear that out. It's obviously not their best material, but the quartet of Joe, Paul, Nick and Pete could have been good.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 4:34pm
I would be happy with cleaned up version of the demos. I've long felt that there are some decent songs buried under Bernie's excess and in my opinion the Lucky 8 demos bear that out. It's obviously not their best material, but the quartet of Joe, Paul, Nick and Pete could have been good.
Whilst they will never be "The Clash" to me with no Mick or Topper. I do agree that they are some half decent songs under the quagmire.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnSimonBeverly
Dirty Punk

Post by JohnSimonBeverly »

Kory wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 2:15pm
Dave Goodman was behind Spunk.
The recording, yes – but I've always been under the impression that McLaren was behind the release.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 5:22pm
Kory wrote:
The recording, yes – but I've always been under the impression that McLaren was behind the release.
That's my understanding, too. He was in full game-playing mode and believed he'd been outmanoeuvred by Virgin, so he secretly licensed other songs to Barclay to create an alternate Bollocks album to compete/undercut the Virgin album.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 5:35pm
JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
Kory wrote:
That's my understanding, too. He was in full game-playing mode and believed he'd been outmanoeuvred by Virgin, so he secretly licensed other songs to Barclay to create an alternate Bollocks album to compete/undercut the Virgin album.
No Malcolm did not secretly licence "other songs" to Barclay in France. He had licenced "the" songs to Barclay so they could release "Bollocks" on import ahead of the Virgin release.

Goodman was behind the "Spunk" release Malcolm had even said this himself. Of course he loved the idea. But the truth was it was Dave who released it via the Lyntone press which used to do flexi discs. Goodman was annoyed when he didn't get his credit for his recording of "I Wanna Be Me" on the first batch of the Anarchy 7". He was already pissed off that after all the Anarchy attempts with the band E M.I. then chose Chris Thomas to produce the single. Then when he saw how he had been written out of history with E.M.I printing Thomas with credit for the B-side it was the final straw. So he put out "Sounk". I do however believe Malcolm jumped on the bandwagon and was responsible for "Indecent Exposure" the live at Burton on Trent gig.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
Kory wrote:
No Malcolm did not secretly licence "other songs" to Barclay in France. He had licenced "the" songs to Barclay so they could release "Bollocks" on import ahead of the Virgin release.

Goodman was behind the "Spunk" release Malcolm had even said this himself. Of course he loved the idea. But the truth was it was Dave who released it via the Lyntone press which used to do flexi discs. Goodman was annoyed when he didn't get his credit for his recording of "I Wanna Be Me" on the first batch of the Anarchy 7". He was already pissed off that after all the Anarchy attempts with the band E M.I. then chose Chris Thomas to produce the single. Then when he saw how he had been written out of history with E.M.I printing Thomas with credit for the B-side it was the final straw. So he put out "Sounk". I do however believe Malcolm jumped on the bandwagon and was responsible for "Indecent Exposure" the live at Burton on Trent gig.
Huh, well, that's a much more boring account. It would have been more clever that McLaren was working a sneakier scheme, but instead it's a more pedestrian form of revenge. Rats.

Is it just your gut re. Indecent Exposure, or do you have outside evidence? McLaren seems as good a candidate (who was the soundman for their shows?) so why not.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
Kory wrote:
I was just making fun of Marky’s double post
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 3:03am
JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
Kory wrote:
Double posts are serious business.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 7:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
Kory wrote:

Huh, well, that's a much more boring account. It would have been more clever that McLaren was working a sneakier scheme, but instead it's a more pedestrian form of revenge. Rats.

Is it just your gut re. Indecent Exposure, or do you have outside evidence? McLaren seems as good a candidate (who was the soundman for their shows?) so why not.
Yes just a gut feeling. I just think was too soon after "Spunk" for another Goodman risk. But as he and Kim Thraves were doing the sound it's possible. Malcolm was great at getting in on the act. Goodman had all the tapes (masters) hence all those dodgy 80s releases.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 6:47am
Kory wrote:
JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
Kory wrote:
The only thing better than getting your point across is getting it across twice ;)

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

I think it's better to imagine what these outtakes and demos might sound like than to actually hear them. It would be nice to hear the sessions Do it Now and SMR were culled from but 35 years on it would be a bit anticlimactic.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 8:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 6:47am
Kory wrote:
JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
Kory wrote:
The only thing better than getting your point across is getting it across twice ;)
Seriously serious. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 1:33pm
I think it's better to imagine what these outtakes and demos might sound like than to actually hear them. It would be nice to hear the sessions Do it Now and SMR were culled from but 35 years on it would be a bit anticlimactic.
A vivid imagination. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnSimonBeverly
Dirty Punk

Post by JohnSimonBeverly »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 3:19pm
I've already got the tapes. Shhhh don't tell Bernie.
It's Ber-NAAARD!!!