Sandinista as a double

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Sandinista as a double

Post by white man »

Flu, you say. In late Feb last year. :shifty:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:37pm
Haha, it could well have been the old 'rona but probably too early. I'm double jabbed now so I'm starting to relax a bit.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

eumaas was the first person I saw to call it the rona. Probability a multi-person simultaneous idea, but I think he really was the first to get there.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Heston wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:46pm
white man wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:37pm
Haha, it could well have been the old 'rona but probably too early. I'm double jabbed now so I'm starting to relax a bit.
Me too. Got my second April 1st. Gives you a little peace of mind

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

Well done, John. Works for me just fine!
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Heston wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 4:11pm
There's a few other things edited here and there to try and make the whole album sound a bit more commercial, I was kind of putting myself in Glyn Johns' shoes when he heard Rat Patrol.
Really like this S! = 2LP as Glyn would approach it vs just 24 of your fav songs. It's kindred to what CBS did with Sandinista Now! - that tracklist being tailored to AOR programmers for airplay. Your clean-up is definitely in spirit with a rescue job.

Ive tried to re-sequence S! so many times that Im only happy with it as a triple - a full director's cut of the prolific madness that year. A 2LP would fall victim to a song-by-song comparison to LC. Likewise, there is no 12 song sequence that out performs LC as a single. Maybe they could have done it as a double with a follow-up remixes/versions album that includes TIRC. But that probably wasn't standard practice back in '81.
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

Heston

Post by Heston »

YoungParisians wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:35pm
Heston wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 4:11pm
There's a few other things edited here and there to try and make the whole album sound a bit more commercial, I was kind of putting myself in Glyn Johns' shoes when he heard Rat Patrol.
Really like this S! = 2LP as Glyn would approach it vs just 24 of your fav songs. It's kindred to what CBS did with Sandinista Now! - that tracklist being tailored to AOR programmers for airplay. Your clean-up is definitely in spirit with a rescue job.

Ive tried to re-sequence S! so many times that Im only happy with it as a triple - a full director's cut of the prolific madness that year. A 2LP would fall victim to a song-by-song comparison to LC. Likewise, there is no 12 song sequence that out performs LC as a single. Maybe they could have done it as a double with a follow-up remixes/versions album that includes TIRC. But that probably wasn't standard practice back in '81.
Yeah I ejected songs I like over stuff I left on, but it was about making it commercial as possible. For example I much prefer Lose This Skin and Living In Fame to Junco Partner but I wanted it to sound every bit like a Clash record.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

DrStrangepork
Corner Soul

Post by DrStrangepork »

YoungParisians wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:35pm
Yeah, same. I tried recently to trim the album down, just to see if I could, and listened to it several times to figure out which songs would get axed. Realized that there's only one song out of the 36 that I don't like — the Kidz Bop version of Career Opportunities. Cute tune, but the joke wore thin after the first listen. Other than that one, there's nothing else on the record that I could live without hearing, which is pretty incredible to say about a 36-song, two-and-a-half hour record. So I ended up creating a slightly altered track sequence, with Career Opportunities snipped, The Street Parade in its place, and I added Stop the World to side 5 (never understood why it was cut), between Mensforth and Junkie Slip.

Heston

Post by Heston »

dave202 wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:12pm
Heston wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:05pm
dave202 wrote:
03 May 2021, 1:39pm
I missed this first time around and have just listened to it for the first time. A belated thanks John, especially the edits which make sense. Any chance of posting this as individual tracks as a download?
I have some time through the week and I will try mate. I sequenced it on my digital recorder and have since deleted it to free up space. But I can have a go at splitting the tracks from the Soundcloud files.
Thanks, that would be great, but don't go out of your way.
Should have it sorted this week Dave, I'm nearly there with it.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Better late than never but I finally got round to splitting the tracks for this. This is for Dave or anyone else who wants to check it out. I love Sandinista! as released but this was a bit of a challenge to myself to see if I could get a more commercial album out of it using edits and a more user-friendly running order. My choices for side one, for example, seek to reel you in rather than alienate you. And The Street Parade was always the obvious album closer.

I used the Sound System versions except for Mag 7 which is the single mix from "The Singles." I also applied some mastering and EQ across all the tracks.

Here is my tracklisting again with editing info...

Disc One
The Magnificent Seven - Rather than the reverb-drenched album version I used the crisper single mix but edited in the acappella intro from the Magnificent Dance. I also shortened the instrumental intro and added some delay to Joe's vocal
Up In Heaven (Not Only Here) - Edited out the train noises near the end but kept the original fade
Corner Soul
The Leader
One More Time
Charlie Don't Surf
Somebody Got Murdered
The Call Up
Hitsville UK
The Equaliser - Removed the dub intro
Let's Go Crazy - Got rid of the "market seller" spoken intro and outro
Something About England

Disc Two
Police On My Back
Kingston Advice
The Sound of the Sinners - Removed the reprise-style ending
Ivan Meets G.I. Joe
Version City - Took out the speaking intro and outro
Broadway - Lost the kiddy vocal at the end
Washington Bullets
Midnight Log
Junco Partner
Rebel Waltz
If Music Could Talk - Mainly used the left channel but sometimes used both channels for instrumental passages
The Street Parade

Disc One...https://www.filefactory.com/file/eecvy5 ... %20One.rar

Disc Two...https://www.filefactory.com/file/3qynsw ... %20Two.rar

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Hard to argue with. Can't wait to listen.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 10:44pm
Not sure I agree with these changes:

Up In Heaven (Not Only Here) - Edited out the train noises near the end but kept the original fade

But cool with these changes:
The Magnificent Seven - Rather than the reverb-drenched album version I used the crisper single mix but edited in the acappella intro from the Magnificent Dance. I also shortened the instrumental intro and added some delay to Joe's vocal
If Music Could Talk - Mainly used the left channel but sometimes used both channels for instrumental passages
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
Downloading the first half now, can't wait to give it a listen. Thanks Heston!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 9:34am
Heston wrote:
Not sure I agree with these changes:

But cool with these changes:
Yeah I quite like the guy talking at the start of Let's Go Crazy but for this exercise I just wanted to hear it as a bunch of songs without any distractions.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »