London Calling Stats

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
101Walterton
The Best

London Calling Stats

Post by 101Walterton »

Here are the stats from the recent survey in the top 5 thread.
5 points for first choice, 4 for second etc..

London Calling (54)
Rudie Can’t Fail (53)
Clampdown (44)
Spanish Bombs (23)
Death Or Glory (23)
Lost In The Supermarket (14)
Guns Of Brixton (13)
I’m Not Down (9)
Hateful (5)
The Card Cheat (5)
Wrong E’m Boyo (4)
Jimmy Jazz (3)
Revolution Rock (3)
Koka Kola (2)
The Right Profile (1)
Four Horsemen (1)

0 Votes for:
Brand New Cadillac
Lovers Rock
Train In Vain

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: London Calling Stats

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 6:16pm
Here are the stats from the recent survey in the top 5 thread.
5 points for first choice, 4 for second etc..

London Calling (54)
Rudie Can’t Fail (53)
Clampdown (44)
Spanish Bombs (23)
Death Or Glory (23)
Lost In The Supermarket (14)
Guns Of Brixton (13)
I’m Not Down (9)
Hateful (5)
The Card Cheat (5)
Wrong E’m Boyo (4)
Jimmy Jazz (3)
Revolution Rock (3)
Koka Kola (2)
The Right Profile (1)
Four Horsemen (1)

0 Votes for:
Brand New Cadillac
Lovers Rock
Train In Vain
In yet another example of me not being wrong, my five choices are currently in the top five. Also see BNC with 0 votes.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

I very nearly threw Train In Vain into my top 5 as it is a perfect song. Shame to see it on zero votes.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Not sure if I was more surprised how clear the top 5 would be or that Death Or Glory was in the breakaway group?

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 6:53pm
Not sure if I was more surprised how clear the top 5 would be or that Death Or Glory was in the breakaway group?
DoG is an immense song. It would be great in a simple verse/chorus song form but it takes in all these mad twists and turns. Topper's playing on the first breakdown is ridiculously good. The build up at the end to the last chorus is amazing. Upper echelon Clash song for me.

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

101Walterton wrote:
Quite surprised by that myself. I agree with 4 of the top 5 but would swap Death or Glory for Guns of Brixton.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 7:01pm
101Walterton wrote:
DoG is an immense song. It would be great in a simple verse/chorus song form but it takes in all these mad twists and turns. Topper's playing on the first breakdown is ridiculously good. The build up at the end to the last chorus is amazing. Upper echelon Clash song for me.
I love the song just didn’t think it would make the breakaway top 5 before LITS (my choice), GOB or even TIV or some of the other songs often discussed.

Heston

Post by Heston »

FarawayTowns wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 7:08pm
101Walterton wrote:
Quite surprised by that myself. I agree with 4 of the top 5 but would swap Death or Glory for Guns of Brixton.
Joe and Mick should have sang Brixton. Yeah, Paul puts in his one decent Clash vocal, but in reality it was too good a song for Ringo-style appeasement.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 7:19pm
Heston wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 7:01pm
101Walterton wrote:
I love the song just didn’t think it would make the breakaway top 5 before LITS (my choice), GOB or even TIV or some of the other songs often discussed.
LITS is a great song and would probably land at 7 or 8 for me. I tend to mark it down for petering out a bit near the end. Always felt it should have had one last verse from Mick rather than the repeated chorus for a minute. Minor gripe though, an utterly fantastic song.

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

Heston wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 7:21pm
FarawayTowns wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Joe and Mick should have sang Brixton. Yeah, Paul puts in his one decent Clash vocal, but in reality it was too good a song for Ringo-style appeasement.
It's a very good point however Paul's vocals made it sound unique and imho added a certain edginess to it.

Heston

Post by Heston »

FarawayTowns wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 7:32pm
Heston wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
It's a very good point however Paul's vocals made it sound unique and imho added a certain edginess to it.
Fair comment.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

FarawayTowns wrote:
Heston wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I’m somewhere between the 2 viewpoints I can't decide?

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 7:46pm
FarawayTowns wrote:
Heston wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
If Joe and Mick had sang on the released version and Paul's version was later released as a demo, it would be a curio and nothing more. You surely get your A list performers for the A list songs. The Crooked Beat and Red Angel Dragnet were expendable songs, Brixton wasn't. It's like letting Ringo sing Hey Jude.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 7:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Heston wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:

If Joe and Mick had sang on the released version and Paul's version was later released as a demo, it would be a curio and nothing more. You surely get your A list performers for the A list songs. The Crooked Beat and Red Angel Dragnet were expendable songs, Brixton wasn't. It's like letting Ringo sing Hey Jude.
Problem is of course we will never know.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 8:26pm
Heston wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 7:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
Heston wrote:

Problem is of course we will never know.
"Mick's attic"