London Calling Stats

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: London Calling Stats

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 8:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 8:26pm
Heston wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 7:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 7:46pm
FarawayTowns wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 7:32pm

It's a very good point however Paul's vocals made it sound unique and imho added a certain edginess to it.
I’m somewhere between the 2 viewpoints I can't decide?
If Joe and Mick had sang on the released version and Paul's version was later released as a demo, it would be a curio and nothing more. You surely get your A list performers for the A list songs. The Crooked Beat and Red Angel Dragnet were expendable songs, Brixton wasn't. It's like letting Ringo sing Hey Jude.
Problem is of course we will never know.
"Mick's attic"
Heston, the ladder!!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Ok here is my decider, imagine if Paul had sang Bankrobber?

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Strange how this has panned out given RCF knocked LC out in the survivor polls. Like I said before though, what a fantastic album.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I don't know if Mick's vocal forte is the threatening machismo of Guns of Brixton. Yes, he would have sang it better but would he have been the best fit for the song?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 9:38am
I don't know if Mick's vocal forte is the threatening machismo of Guns of Brixton. Yes, he would have sang it better but would he have been the best fit for the song?
For real. Maybe joe could do it justice, but given the lyrical content, Paul was appropriate.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
I meant Mick on the high harmonies. The lead vocal would obviously have been Joe's job.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Heston wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 9:45am
Silent Majority wrote:
I meant Mick on the high harmonies. The lead vocal would obviously have been Joe's job.
I'm probably showing a lack of imagination, but I still don't know if Strummer taking the vocals into three dimensions would have served the lyrics. What existing Joe performance do you see Guns being close to?

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

In need of an iron, but suitable to the current discussion, this is the t shirt I'm wearing today
IMG_20200411_155238.jpg

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 10:48am
Heston wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 9:45am
Silent Majority wrote:
I'm probably showing a lack of imagination, but I still don't know if Strummer taking the vocals into three dimensions would have served the lyrics. What existing Joe performance do you see Guns being close to?
Well London Calling similarly operates on about 3 notes vocally and Joe makes some job of that.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I think joe could have done a good job on gob but glad paul got the job. It's one thing i like about the clash, joe is vocally the go to guy but mick was an excellent lead vocal man too, on top of being one of great backing vocalists ever imo, and paul and even topper got their go too. Same with pogues - shane obviously the main man, but Terry, Spider and Phil could step up too if needed. Just meant their range was that bit greater.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 11:34am
I think joe could have done a good job on gob but glad paul got the job. It's one thing i like about the clash, joe is vocally the go to guy but mick was an excellent lead vocal man too, on top of being one of great backing vocalists ever imo, and paul and even topper got their go too. Same with pogues - shane obviously the main man, but Terry, Spider and Phil could step up too if needed. Just meant their range was that bit greater.
All excellent points, though I must say Mick is one of my top singers ever, not just harmony/bv's - actually prefer him to Joe (probably cuz my vocal range matches Mick's so it's easier to sing along; Joe was just so OUT THERE. Which, of course, makes him one of the greatest ever as well).

Re: the Pogues - Phil had a truly great voice: check out "Lorelei" with Kirsty MacColl from 'Peace & Love', or any versions of him singing his "Thousands Are Sailing" or "Faithful Departed", which Christy Moore covered and popularized so well with Moving Hearts. Damn but Phil was an extraordinary songwriter and musician/singer. Shane who? :approve: ;)
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

muppet hi fi wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 1:24pm
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 11:34am
All excellent points, though I must say Mick is one of my top singers ever, not just harmony/bv's - actually prefer him to Joe (probably cuz my vocal range matches Mick's so it's easier to sing along; Joe was just so OUT THERE. Which, of course, makes him one of the greatest ever as well).

Re: the Pogues - Phil had a truly great voice: check out "Lorelei" with Kirsty MacColl from 'Peace & Love', or any versions of him singing his "Thousands Are Sailing" or "Faithful Departed", which Christy Moore covered and popularized so well with Moving Hearts. Damn but Phil was an extraordinary songwriter and musician/singer. Shane who? :approve: ;)
True, i wouldnt be painting mick as mere backing singer, all told he's got 4 leads on LC with a 50/50 on rudie too which is a lot.

Funny you should mention Moving Hearts. Caught an hour special on radio couple of weeks back marking 35 years since their great album The Storm. Such a fantastic and influential band.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

It was Mick’s vocals backing / leading / call and response to Joe which made the Clash stand out from everybody for else, for me.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Now London calling album is so good that 90% of the album could be in any order for me and I wouldn't disagree with the song rating at all.

I do see however why Lovers Rock would get no points but Train in Vain ???? and Band New Cadillac how the hell did those two songs not get a single vote.

And here comes the crowd disappointer I myself after all these years am a little bored now of London Calling so find it a bit too predictable and very obvious that it should come up top. But I do remember my full excitement when I first ever heard it but that song was so ramped up in the studio that the live versions just feel like the song just plods along so that might be why I went off it.

But to end what an amazing song writing achievement to produce an album of 19 songs and all of them inch perfect I cant think of many bands if any that could come up with anything equivalent

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

[quote=NoMoreHugh post_id=569950 time=1586730201 user_id=1306

I do see however why Lovers Rock would get no points but Train in Vain ???? and Band New Cadillac how the hell did those two songs not get a single vote.

And here comes the crowd disappointer I myself after all these years am a little bored now of London Calling so find it a bit too predictable and very obvious that it should come up top. But I do remember my full excitement when I first ever heard it but that song was so ramped up in the studio that the live versions just feel like the song just plods along so that might be why I went off it.

[/quote]

Agree 100% with your point about Lovers Rock and BNC & TIV.

Although having heard it so many times I still enjoy listening to London Calling studio recording. However I fully agree with your comment about live versions it's one of the few Clash songs that I can't recall hearing a great live version of and where the studio version is so superior. Goes to show how great the production is I suppose.