London Calling Stats

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: London Calling Stats

Post by Heston »

FarawayTowns wrote:
13 Apr 2020, 5:23pm
[quote=NoMoreHugh post_id=569950 time=1586730201 user_id=1306

I do see however why Lovers Rock would get no points but Train in Vain ???? and Band New Cadillac how the hell did those two songs not get a single vote.

And here comes the crowd disappointer I myself after all these years am a little bored now of London Calling so find it a bit too predictable and very obvious that it should come up top. But I do remember my full excitement when I first ever heard it but that song was so ramped up in the studio that the live versions just feel like the song just plods along so that might be why I went off it.
Agree 100% with your point about Lovers Rock and BNC & TIV.

Although having heard it so many times I still enjoy listening to London Calling studio recording. However I fully agree with your comment about live versions it's one of the few Clash songs that I can't recall hearing a great live version of and where the studio version is so superior. Goes to show how great the production is I suppose.
[/quote]

Yeah, Joe never quite recaptured that studio performance. He's basically singing about two or three notes but it's the nuance and expression he puts into every line that makes it work. Easily one of his best ever recorded vocals. That's why it's still a killer top 10 Clash tune for me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I never get bored of London Calling. Micks backward guitar is just mind blowing every listen.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 11:36pm
Strange how this has panned out given RCF knocked LC out in the survivor polls. Like I said before though, what a fantastic album.
Yep I voted RCF in survivor but didn’t seem right to do so on this poll?

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 6:23pm
Now London calling album is so good that 90% of the album could be in any order for me and I wouldn't disagree with the song rating at all.

I do see however why Lovers Rock would get no points but Train in Vain ???? and Band New Cadillac how the hell did those two songs not get a single vote.
My guess is TIV and BNC were #6 on a lot of people's lists.

Interesting how a different voting format can net such different results, though the top tier 4 seem pretty much cemented at this point.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

msza2 wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 8:55am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Now London calling album is so good that 90% of the album could be in any order for me and I wouldn't disagree with the song rating at all.

Interesting how a different voting format can net such different results, though the top tier 4 seem pretty much cemented at this point.
That's a good point I didn't really consider that I guess the only true way to get a flavour would to fully score the whole album. I would struggle to give a score to just 5 songs I probably could just manage the first 4 but the 5th song could be anyone off that album. My vote would be very different I think as I score how I feel today and that list would always change by the next day. I find that now I appreciate and listen to the lesser songs that were obscured by bigger songs like London Calling when I first bought the album.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

msza2 wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

A lot of the previous voting was likely affected by lurkers as well.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 1:34pm
msza2 wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

No London Calling is by a band called The Clash. The Lurkers did Fulham Fallout. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 1:39pm
Kory wrote:
msza2 wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

No London Calling is by a band called The Clash. The Lurkers did Fulham Fallout. ;)
I thought it was Borstal Breakout?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 2:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
msza2 wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Kory you're such a sham.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 3:04pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
msza2 wrote:

Kory you're such a sham.
Nice

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 4:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 3:04pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

Kory you're such a sham.
Nice
:razz:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia