Sandinista?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Sandinista?

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
04 May 2020, 4:29pm
chocolatejesus wrote:
04 May 2020, 4:09pm
I always thought sandinista was punks equivalent to the Beatles White Album, a glorious mess including a rocking opener, a Testament of total whackyness(Revolution 9/mensforth Hill) and a weirdly soothing end(good night/sheperds delight)

While i grew up with all the Beatles discography i bought and sold 3 copies of sandinista before i began to see the light. So ist is definately a grower.

But can Someone enlighten me why it is Pauls Boutique against cyh? Hello nasty is the best hands down, and it even has its own remote control.
I like that album too, but I think we're definitely in the minority.
It’s ok. But the best? That’s fucking crazy.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

aza wrote:
04 May 2020, 6:06pm
i remember so clearly moments of my first hearing Sandinista! My dad walking me up to Tower Records where John Zorn worked at the time and gave us his employee discount. Then, my folks were going somewhere for the night so i waited till they were gone to listen. It for sure was not what i expected, and i was actually frightened by the blast off at the end of Shepherds Delight, but definitely by the time hallucinogens found their way into my life, that album became the center of all things. from then on, anything i got into would circle me back to Sandinista! and it would then send me off to discover something new. For me, i put it outside of all other Clash albums, its just its own thing that continues to grow as long as I do.
Nice.

I'm not advocating drugs but I have great memories of listening to it back in the day after five hot knives of Afghani black at my mate's house. That's when it really began to make sense. The whole album has a warm, ethereal vibe that I can't help but being attracted to.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

On Heston, substances, and revelations:
Pro: Sandinista!
Con: "We Built This City On Rock n Roll"

Conclusion: Pending …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
04 May 2020, 7:13pm
Kory wrote:
chocolatejesus wrote:
I always thought sandinista was punks equivalent to the Beatles White Album, a glorious mess including a rocking opener, a Testament of total whackyness(Revolution 9/mensforth Hill) and a weirdly soothing end(good night/sheperds delight)

While i grew up with all the Beatles discography i bought and sold 3 copies of sandinista before i began to see the light. So ist is definately a grower.

But can Someone enlighten me why it is Pauls Boutique against cyh? Hello nasty is the best hands down, and it even has its own remote control.
I don't think the Beastie Boys haver ever put out an album that's less than good, but HN is like their 4th or 5th best album at least.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
04 May 2020, 8:10pm
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
chocolatejesus wrote:

I don't think the Beastie Boys haver ever put out an album that's less than good, but HN is like their 4th or 5th best album at least.
Exactly. And again, I like it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
04 May 2020, 7:24pm
aza wrote:
04 May 2020, 6:06pm
i remember so clearly moments of my first hearing Sandinista! My dad walking me up to Tower Records where John Zorn worked at the time and gave us his employee discount. Then, my folks were going somewhere for the night so i waited till they were gone to listen. It for sure was not what i expected, and i was actually frightened by the blast off at the end of Shepherds Delight, but definitely by the time hallucinogens found their way into my life, that album became the center of all things. from then on, anything i got into would circle me back to Sandinista! and it would then send me off to discover something new. For me, i put it outside of all other Clash albums, its just its own thing that continues to grow as long as I do.
Nice.

I'm not advocating drugs but I have great memories of listening to it back in the day after five hot knives of Afghani black at my mate's house. That's when it really began to make sense. The whole album has a warm, ethereal vibe that I can't help but being attracted to.
I've heard it said it's a stoners album many times. I don't agree though just because it's so long and has some weird tracks don't make it laid back in any form. I was a speed freak and it made perfect sense to me.

It's my fave Clash album because it's a brave album not a lazy album. Getting all that material was amazing so many brilliant ideas.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I was still essentially straight edge when I first fell in love with it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
05 May 2020, 9:25am
I was still essentially straight edge when I first fell in love with it.
:cool:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
04 May 2020, 9:10pm
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
chocolatejesus wrote:

I don't think it's the best either, but I've heard people dump on it so much that I got the impression it was near CTC in people's minds.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

saying S! is the clashs finest work would probably cause similar reactions in other bands forums than my BB opinion here :rolleyes:
I love pretty much their whole discography and the book and the recently released movie are very cool.

But no, their CTC is called Sounds from way out. or the mix up.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
05 May 2020, 12:57pm
Wolter wrote:
04 May 2020, 9:10pm
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:

I don't think it's the best either, but I've heard people dump on it so much that I got the impression it was near CTC in people's minds.
Well that’s revisionist as hell. I was in bars all the time when it came out and people loved it.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I dunno if our response warrants a rolled eyes. If I hear “Sandinista! is my favorite Clash album,” I think “well, that’s a left field choice I wouldn’t make but this person must love dubs a lot more than I do,” whereas if I hear “Hello, Nasty is my favorite Beastie Boys album,” I think “hmmm. Must’ve been their first.”

I don’t think they have a CTC. Nothing they released is shockingly bad or absolutely alienating.

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

oh this smileything did not have any meaning, I think every opinion is as valid as the other.

I got all of the albums at once from a yard sale. HN just hit the right chord.

I guess if you were there at the time, Licence to Ill and PB probably had the biggest impact.

they did not release any train wreck yeah, but this instrumental album is maybe just as obscure and unknown to most more casual listeners.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

chocolatejesus wrote:
05 May 2020, 1:36pm
oh this smileything did not have any meaning, I think every opinion is as valid as the other.

I guess if you were there at the time, Licence to Ill and PB probably had the biggest impact.

they did not release any train wreck yeah, but this instrumental album is maybe just as obscure and unknown to most more casual listeners.
Yeah. It’s more of a curiosity that most people don’t even know exists. Like that XTC dub collection.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
05 May 2020, 2:08pm
chocolatejesus wrote:
05 May 2020, 1:36pm

Yeah. It’s more of a curiosity that most people don’t even know exists. Like that XTC dub collection.
Mr. Partridge.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia