West Germany

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
John Pemberton
Corner Soul

West Germany

Post by John Pemberton »

How many times did the Clash play in West Germany? I know of 2. Hamburg in 1980 and then Dusseldorf in 1984. Are there any others?
On another note--being from USA I'm not real familiar but were the Clash well known in East Germany or behind iron curtain during their day? Would have it been possible for some kids to cross over into West Germany or maybe Helsinki and watch them play?

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: West Germany

Post by white man »

They played Munich Hamburg and Frankfurt in 77 and Munich Berlin
and Hamburg in 81

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

John Pemberton wrote:
18 May 2020, 9:58am
How many times did the Clash play in West Germany? I know of 2. Hamburg in 1980 and then Dusseldorf in 1984. Are there any others?
On another note--being from USA I'm not real familiar but were the Clash well known in East Germany or behind iron curtain during their day? Would have it been possible for some kids to cross over into West Germany or maybe Helsinki and watch them play?
I've not read it yet, but this book's been on my long list for a while and might be helpful.

a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 May 2020, 10:27am
John Pemberton wrote:
I've not read it yet, but this book's been on my long list for a while and might be helpful.

Shit, that could have possibilities for my punk seminar. I'll be reading that sooner than later. Along the same lines is:

It's OOP, but I have a scanned copy, if you're curious.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2020, 10:36am
Silent Majority wrote:
18 May 2020, 10:27am
John Pemberton wrote:

Shit, that could have possibilities for my punk seminar. I'll be reading that sooner than later. Along the same lines is:

It's OOP, but I have a scanned copy, if you're curious.
You've kindly sent a copy my way after I expressed an interest in it before, thank you.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

John Pemberton
Corner Soul

Post by John Pemberton »

I'd love to read a copy of it.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

John Pemberton wrote:
Would have it been possible for some kids to cross over into West Germany or maybe Helsinki and watch them play?
No.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Here's Ryback: https://mega.nz/file/dQ8k2IhI#uAq7iu3Xf ... MON7jkngFQ

It's not super stimulating, but it does shed some light on the problem that Communists had trying to limit youth rebellion in the face of Western popular culture.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 May 2020, 11:24am
Here's where I got Mohr.

http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/burn ... -tim-mohr/
Cool and thanks. I found an ePub, but I'm almost done my current audiobook, so I'll slot this right to the top.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2020, 11:00am

It's not super stimulating, but it does shed some light on the problem that Communists had trying to limit youth rebellion in the face of Western popular culture.
Thanks for posting this, it looks an interesting read.

Only a slight connection, but around 78/79, Stiff Records announced that they had box sets of their first 10 singles for sale mail order only, claiming they were "For Export Only" and had been intended for Russia, but the permits were denied. A spoof of course, but in the spirit of Stiff, "If it ain't worth a ruble..."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

dave202 wrote:
19 May 2020, 9:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2020, 11:00am

Thanks for posting this, it looks an interesting read.

Only a slight connection, but around 78/79, Stiff Records announced that they had box sets of their first 10 singles for sale mail order only, claiming they were "For Export Only" and had been intended for Russia, but the permits were denied. A spoof of course, but in the spirit of Stiff, "If it ain't worth a ruble..."
Further tangenting here, but apart from signing better bands, indie labels have always impressed by their creative and witty promotional ideas. While researching Sub Pop, despite the piles and piles of bullshit they shoveled, I enjoyed how they turned failures into some kind of success. Like the slogan “Going Out of Business Since 1988” or t-shirts that read “What part of ‘We have no money’ don’t you understand?” It's all bullshit, but I appreciate the effort to jiu jitsu failure.