Mick's voice on Lost in a supermarket

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
speakeasy
Corner Soul

Mick's voice on Lost in a supermarket

Post by speakeasy »

What's the precedent for this vocal? Had Mick ever sung so sweetly before this? He was a good punk singer on the 1st two albums. Where did this great, sensitive voice come from?

Also--does anyone know how the song traveled from Joe's pen to Mick's mouth? Why did Joe give it to Mick to sing? I may have answered my own question, as Mick's voice is so perfect on it. But does anyone know any more about the song's journey? Are there any versions with Joe on lead?

101Walterton
The Best

Re: Mick's voice on Lost in a supermarket

Post by 101Walterton »

Mick always had that in his vocals.

speakeasy
Corner Soul

Post by speakeasy »

I have neglected to mention Stay Free which was a prior example of this voice.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Great vocal by Mick, I actually think it's well ahead of Stay Free.

The party line is that Joe wrote this about Mick's childhood but I don't see that all. I think it was a bit of subterfuge by Joe so he wouldn't be seen to be moaning about his supposedly "privileged" childhood. Surely it was Joe who lived in the suburbs? Were the "kids in the halls" and "pipes in the walls" not about Joe's boarding school rather than the towerblocks that people seem to assume it's about? The first line in the song especially seems to touch on Joe's abandonment issues. Also the "long distance callers make long distance calls" line seems to fit in with Joe being at boarding school with his parents away abroad.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

He actually sings pretty sweetly on Hate & War, in my opinion.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
30 May 2020, 1:01am

The party line is that Joe wrote this about Mick's childhood but I don't see that all. I think it was a bit of subterfuge by Joe so he wouldn't be seen to be moaning about his supposedly "privileged" childhood. Surely it was Joe who lived in the suburbs? Were the "kids in the halls" and "pipes in the walls" not about Joe's boarding school rather than the towerblocks that people seem to assume it's about? The first line in the song especially seems to touch on Joe's abandonment issues. Also the "long distance callers make long distance calls" line seems to fit in with Joe being at boarding school with his parents away abroad.
Never looked at it from that angle. Makes sense.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
30 May 2020, 11:27am
Yep.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

101Walterton wrote:
30 May 2020, 4:41pm
Silent Majority wrote:
30 May 2020, 11:27am
Yep.
Word.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:

I subscribe to this view. We already know he would make Mick sing the songs on which Mick wrote more lightweight music, as well.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 1:58pm
Heston wrote:

I subscribe to this view. We already know he would make Mick sing the songs on which Mick wrote more lightweight music, as well.
I've met some fierce opposition to this take on it on FB but I'm pretty convinced. Mick has even said that Joe wrote it about him so maybe even he was hoodwinked by the lyric? Or maybe he was in on it from the start...
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 2:11pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

I've met some fierce opposition to this take on it on FB but I'm pretty convinced. Mick has even said that Joe wrote it about him so maybe even he was hoodwinked by the lyric? Or maybe he was in on it from the start...
Maybe it was FOR Mick, but ABOUT Joe? Sort of a "here, my gift to you is to open up about my childhood." A bonding experience, or something like that.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 2:34pm
Heston wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 2:11pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

Maybe it was FOR Mick, but ABOUT Joe? Sort of a "here, my gift to you is to open up about my childhood." A bonding experience, or something like that.
That's been my read. Here's a special song for you to sing.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I mean, I imagine Mick certainly had abandonment issues too - as great as his nan and aunts were, they weren't his parents. Maybe it's about the both of them?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I thought it was as simple as Joe wrote it about himself but the song better suited for Mick to sing.

Heston

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 3:39pm
I mean, I imagine Mick certainly had abandonment issues too - as great as his nan and aunts were, they weren't his parents. Maybe it's about the both of them?
Yeah, there is that. I just think Joe's childhood ticks more boxes than Mick's for the song in general.