Leaving out This Is England, what is your favourite song on CTC?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

As per thread title

Dictator
3%
Dirty Punk
No votes
Are You Red...y
15%
We Are the Clash
6%
Cool Under Heat
6%
Movers and Shakers
6%
Three Card Trick
38%
Play To Win
No votes
Fingerpoppin'
No votes
North and South
24%
Life Is Wild
3%

Total votes: 34

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Leaving out This Is England, what is your favourite song on CTC?

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 4:19pm
WestwayKid wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
Heston wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 8:13pm
Wolter wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 8:12pm
I chose "Are You Red...y" but that's because you said "favorite," as opposed to best. I think North and South is a better song overall, but I like Red...y more.
Wow, I didn't know I had an Are You Red...y ally. The consensus on the song is usually very bad.
I’m also an Are You Red...Y ally. I’ve always liked the demo and while the finished product leaves a bit to be desired...still catchy. That said, the programmed drums are fucking terrible.
The programmed dums are crap the whole way through. But the only track where they do kind of work is "Are You Red..Y". That said the demo is miles better and live it was decent.
Both Three Card and P2W do this baffling thing where the drums don't change at the beginning of the chorus, but one or two bars in instead. P2W continues the chorus programming for that same length after the chorus which sorta makes sense as if they messed up and shifted the programming but Three Card is basically like an 8-bar chorus, but the "chorus drum part" is only played on bars 2 through 8. It's so weird.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Also the North and South drum part in the chorus is so fucking bad. And yeah, Are You Red...Y is the only thing that approaches competency. I like the hits during the Waaaaaaar part with the 16th note synth part descending at the end.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Denied it for decades but am now convinced ctc didnt have to be a rubbish album. Listening to the demos for first time in years a while back, i was struck by how good a track National Powder was and began to reevaluate. Always loved the Are You Redy demo, it never needed any bells and whistles (or whatever shit bernie could get his hands on) on top.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 4:44pm
Denied it for decades but am now convinced ctc didnt have to be a rubbish album. Listening to the demos for first time in years a while back, i was struck by how good a track National Powder was and began to reevaluate. Always loved the Are You Redy demo, it never needed any bells and whistles (or whatever shit bernie could get his hands on) on top.
Yeah I feel the same some decent tunes that didn't make the album. I still think it would be the least of The Clash albums but it needn't have been so rubbish.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 4:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 8:12pm
I chose "Are You Red...y" but that's because you said "favorite," as opposed to best. I think North and South is a better song overall, but I like Red...y more.
Wow, I didn't know I had an Are You Red...y ally. The consensus on the song is usually very bad.
I’m also an Are You Red...Y ally. I’ve always liked the demo and while the finished product leaves a bit to be desired...still catchy. That said, the programmed drums are fucking terrible.
The programmed dums are crap the whole way through. But the only track where they do kind of work is "Are You Red..Y". That said the demo is miles better and live it was decent.
Yeah. I only really like the programmed drums on Red...y. I really love the Dope version.
The demo is good, but I think the Dope version is a really well developed version of the demo. Lots of interesting stuff musically that accentuates the tune and the lyric.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:14pm
Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 4:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeah. I only really like the programmed drums on Red...y. I really love the Dope version.
The demo is good, but I think the Dope version is a really well developed version of the demo. Lots of interesting stuff musically that accentuates the tune and the lyric.
God damn it, H— wait, sorry. Force of habit. Yeah.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:08pm
Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 4:44pm
Yeah I feel the same some decent tunes that didn't make the album. I still think it would be the least of The Clash albums but it needn't have been so rubbish.
Definitely.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

The tunes were mostly there. Strummer sounded great. What surrounded it was mostly terrible.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:04pm
The tunes were mostly there. Strummer sounded great. What surrounded it was mostly terrible.
I genuinely cannot think of an album that was more botched in the studio. Was it the Clash proper? Not really. Was it a group of people who were capable of playing well performing songs that deserved better? Yes.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Will never be able to comprehend what strand of deranged idiocy must have been at play when considering the tracklist for the album and deciding that Pouring Rain somehow didnt fit the bill. It's up there among the stupidest and most irrational decisions taken in the course of the bands history for me, and they're were a few of them!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:36pm
Will never be able to comprehend what strand of deranged idiocy must have been at play when considering the tracklist for the album and deciding that Pouring Rain somehow didnt fit the bill. It's up there among the stupidest and most irrational decisions taken in the course of the bands history for me, and they're were a few of them!
Bernie couldn't figure out how to futurize and radicalize it enough?
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:39pm
Low Down Low wrote:
That might explain it but doesn't help me to comprehend it. Also the notion of Joe pretty much abdicating any sense of responsibility for it, still find that painful to think about. Actually prefer not to pretty much.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
That might explain it but doesn't help me to comprehend it. Also the notion of Joe pretty much abdicating any sense of responsibility for it, still find that painful to think about. Actually prefer not to pretty much.
Knowing that Joe was seriously messed up and being manipulated by an evil fucker of a manager makes it easier for me. Knowing that this wasn't a sincere effort at the best he could do post-Mick excises the crime. EW, on the other hand …
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:54pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Knowing that Joe was seriously messed up and being manipulated by an evil fucker of a manager makes it easier for me. Knowing that this wasn't a sincere effort at the best he could do post-Mick excises the crime. EW, on the other hand …
Yeah, i guess he did try his heart out on EW and that was best he could do. Short of confidence, doubting himself at that point i feel. That said, talking of irrational idiocy or no, i like EW, flaws and all. Always did, 5-6 tracks I've no bother standing over and i dont consider that a bad haul for any album. I get that might be minority opinion, though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 7:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:54pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah, i guess he did try his heart out on EW and that was best he could do. Short of confidence, doubting himself at that point i feel. That said, talking of irrational idiocy or no, i like EW, flaws and all. Always did, 5-6 tracks I've no bother standing over and i dont consider that a bad haul for any album. I get that might be minority opinion, though.
:hmm: