Leaving out Play To Win, what is your least favourite song on CtC?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

?

Dictator
7%
Dirty Punk
11%
We Are the Clash
7%
Are You Red...y
4%
Cool Under Heat
No votes
Movers and Shakers
No votes
This Is England
No votes
Three Card Trick
No votes
Fingerpoppin'
63%
North and South
4%
Life Is Wild
4%

Total votes: 27

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Leaving out Play To Win, what is your least favourite song on CtC?

Post by Heston »

Gotta be Fingerpoppin' though Dictator is a strong contender.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Leaving out Play To Win, what is your least favourite song on CtC?

Post by Low Down Low »

Yeah fingerbop. Says something that with all manner of turds to choose from, it's not even a close call.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I voted for Fingerpoppin -- that, plus Play To Win, represent (for me) the biggest barrel scraping moments on CTC.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

With play to win in the mix, it would still be the finger song for me. Play to wins not even my second least favourite on the album.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Fingerpoppin' has the least catchy chorus so it gets my vote.

In terms of the worst song as is on the album, Dictator is such an abomination. But at least the chorus is sorta catchy.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Fingerpoppin'," easily. "Dictator" is a hilarious mess, but it's kinda mesmerizing in its awful. "Fingerpoppin'" is just gross all around.

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

Play to Win is sick. I'm a North and South hater though, so what do I know.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 6:39pm
I voted for Fingerpoppin -- that, plus Play To Win, represent (for me) the biggest barrel scraping moments on CTC.
I think what music is in the song is actually very good. It's the long stretches of them talking in an arcade do it no favours. They couold have hung that chorus on a proper song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 7:26pm
Chairman Ralph wrote:
I think what music is in the song is actually very good. It's the long stretches of them talking in an arcade do it no favours. They couold have hung that chorus on a proper song.
“Very good”?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 7:32pm
Heston wrote:
Chairman Ralph wrote:
“Very good”?
Well that "I long for the prairie" chorus sounds decent enough to me. The breakdown bit is ok as well. It's certainly better than Junkie Slip.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 7:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Chairman Ralph wrote:
“Very good”?
Well that "I long for the prairie" chorus sounds decent enough to me. The breakdown bit is ok as well. It's certainly better than Junkie Slip.
i can accept tolerable or I've heard worse, but not very good.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 8:02pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Chairman Ralph wrote:
“Very good”?
It's more melodic than a lot of Sandinista and CR stuff to me, just executed in that horrible Cut the Crap way.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 8:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 8:02pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

“Very good”?
It's more melodic than a lot of Sandinista and CR stuff to me, just executed in that horrible Cut the Crap way.
I shake my head at how badly people seek to find a good album in all that.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I thought that way, too, at the time: "This has a great chorus, looking for an equally great song to give it a good home." :mrgreen: So I guess that raises it a notch over Fingerpoppin', doesn't it? But not by much.

Interestingly, Kerrang's five-K review of CTC cited PTW as one of the highlights -- "a sly C&W dip that shows why they deserve their innovative reputation." Just goes to show, there's always somebody in every crowd who's ready to stick their neck out...

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Similar to Hoy's Dictator, the Flex version of Fingerpoppin' is the definitive version.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc