Simon Humphries "The Clash"

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Simon Humphries "The Clash"

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 5:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 5:18pm
Heston wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 5:13pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 4:57pm
Didn’t Jerry Green play bass on Rock the Casbah?
Well I've been investigating this mystery for years and we have a shortlist of Jerry Green, Busta Cherry Jones, Norman Watt-Roy and Topper. And could we add Mick to that?

Of all those I don't think it's Topper. If you listen to Mustapha Dance, that is one shit hot pro bass player there. I just don't think Topper would have been capable of that. Outside of that song, have we heard of Topper creating anything like it? I think he probably played a guide bass which would fit in with the story of him recording it, but I have no doubt it was scrubbed and a new part added by a session player.

Even the piano I'm skeptical about. The rhythm part may have been do-able for Topper but that boogie woogie lead at the start just sounds too perfectly performed to have been knocked out while he was waiting for the band to turn up.
I'm having Norman Watt-Roy for "Mustapha Dance" simply because he's the finest bass player I've ever seen.
Norman wasn't around the band at the time though, and it's definitely played with a pick, which isn't Norman's usual style. But I wouldn't rule him out as Topper named him as the person who played on it in an online quote from an interview a few years back. Only problem was there was no link to the original interview.
Agree on Norman using his fingers to play. But he could've played it using a pick. I don't think Busta Jones is as good as Norman but then who knows. It's a cracking bass line on that instrumental mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 5:26pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 4:57pm
Didn’t Jerry Green play bass on Rock the Casbah?
Well I've been investigating this mystery for years and we have a shortlist of Jerry Green, Busta Cherry Jones, Norman Watt-Roy and Topper. And could we add Mick to that?

Of all those I don't think it's Topper. If you listen to Mustapha Dance, that is one shit hot pro bass player there. I just don't think Topper would have been capable of that. Outside of that song, have we heard of Topper creating anything like it? I think he probably played a guide bass which would fit in with the story of him recording it, but I have no doubt it was scrubbed and a new part added by a session player.

Even the piano I'm skeptical about. The rhythm part may have been do-able for Topper but that boogie woogie lead at the start just sounds too perfectly performed to have been knocked out while he was waiting for the band to turn up.
I'm having Norman Watt-Roy for "Mustapha Dance" simply because he's the finest bass player I've ever seen.
Norman wasn't around the band at the time though, and it's definitely played with a pick, which isn't Norman's usual style. But I wouldn't rule him out as Topper named him as the person who played on it in an online quote from an interview a few years back. Only problem was there was no link to the original interview.
Agree on Norman using his fingers to play. But he could've played it using a pick. I don't think Busta Jones is as good as Norman but then who knows. It's a cracking bass line on that instrumental mix.
Whoever played it, it is a fucking amazing line. Jerry Green is the unknown quantity but studio technicians are often gifted instrumenalists.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 5:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 5:26pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Whoever played it, it is a fucking amazing line. Jerry Green is the unknown quantity but studio technicians are often gifted instrumenalists.
Even the bits I've seen Topper play on piano of RTC have been very basic chords. That doesn't mean he wasn't up to snuff back in 82. I finally figured out a bunch of those fills and they aren't too too hard, but I'm also not very good and when I played them at the last Strummerville, they didn't sound nearly as tight as Topper. So yeah, I don't know, but I am similarly suspicious.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Busta having played bass in Sharks would certainly be a draw for Mick, considering the same Clash album featured his tribute (SISOSIG) to their song Sophistication. Didn’t Jerry claim he played it though?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Sure i read somewhere that the RtC bass was played by Eddie Garcia but for life of me cant recall where.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 11:17pm
Sure i read somewhere that the RtC bass was played by Eddie Garcia but for life of me cant recall where.
Yes, I remember reading that too.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 11:17pm
Yes, forgot him.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

05 Aug 2020, 8:57pm
Busta having played bass in Sharks would certainly be a draw for Mick, considering the same Clash album featured his tribute (SISOSIG) to their song Sophistication. Didn’t Jerry claim he played it though?
Here's an odditity Busta's real name is Michael Jones. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia