Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
IkarisOne
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3093
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:09pm

Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by IkarisOne »


Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2405
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by Low Down Low »

That is a very good cover.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 34178
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by Heston »

Not too fussed on the vocals but the music is great and the singer is quite inventive with the vocal melody. They've added a couple of tasteful chord changes too.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

IkarisOne
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3093
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:09pm

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by IkarisOne »

Heston wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 4:23pm
Not too fussed on the vocals but the music is great and the singer is quite inventive with the vocal melody. They've added a couple of tasteful chord changes too.

Is it my imagination or does he look like a young Jimmy Pursey?

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 34178
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 4:40pm
Heston wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 4:23pm
Not too fussed on the vocals but the music is great and the singer is quite inventive with the vocal melody. They've added a couple of tasteful chord changes too.

Is it my imagination or does he look like a young Jimmy Pursey?
My first thought was Bez from the Happy Mondays but I see where you're coming from.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 22158
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 4:23pm
Not too fussed on the vocals but the music is great and the singer is quite inventive with the vocal melody. They've added a couple of tasteful chord changes too.
I like the vocal melody changes too. I'm on the fence about the drum machine. The real drums occasionally go in/out of sync with the machine, but that's a minor complaint.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

IkarisOne
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3093
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:09pm

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by IkarisOne »

matedog wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 5:25pm
Heston wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 4:23pm
Not too fussed on the vocals but the music is great and the singer is quite inventive with the vocal melody. They've added a couple of tasteful chord changes too.
I like the vocal melody changes too. I'm on the fence about the drum machine. The real drums occasionally go in/out of sync with the machine, but that's a minor complaint.
I'd love to hear a top rank band with some theory under their belts and some pro production take all those songs and make something out of them. Finish the job Joe started and Bernie hijacked.

BTW Pete Howard is in The Wonder Stuff now. He played with Miles in Vent a million years ago.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 22158
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by matedog »

IkarisOne wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 2:26pm
matedog wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 5:25pm
Heston wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 4:23pm
Not too fussed on the vocals but the music is great and the singer is quite inventive with the vocal melody. They've added a couple of tasteful chord changes too.
I like the vocal melody changes too. I'm on the fence about the drum machine. The real drums occasionally go in/out of sync with the machine, but that's a minor complaint.
I'd love to hear a top rank band with some theory under their belts and some pro production take all those songs and make something out of them. Finish the job Joe started and Bernie hijacked.

BTW Pete Howard is in The Wonder Stuff now. He played with Miles in Vent a million years ago.
Good to hear that about Pete. He never made it big, but glad to hear he's still playing.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

IkarisOne
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3093
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:09pm

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by IkarisOne »

matedog wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 2:27pm
IkarisOne wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 2:26pm
matedog wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 5:25pm
Heston wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 4:23pm
Not too fussed on the vocals but the music is great and the singer is quite inventive with the vocal melody. They've added a couple of tasteful chord changes too.
I like the vocal melody changes too. I'm on the fence about the drum machine. The real drums occasionally go in/out of sync with the machine, but that's a minor complaint.
I'd love to hear a top rank band with some theory under their belts and some pro production take all those songs and make something out of them. Finish the job Joe started and Bernie hijacked.

BTW Pete Howard is in The Wonder Stuff now. He played with Miles in Vent a million years ago.
Good to hear that about Pete. He never made it big, but glad to hear he's still playing.
Sadly, Bernie seems to have soured him on the mainstream music industry. I'm sure he's got a lot of offers over the years.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 22158
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by matedog »

IkarisOne wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 4:11pm
matedog wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 2:27pm
IkarisOne wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 2:26pm
matedog wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 5:25pm
Heston wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 4:23pm
Not too fussed on the vocals but the music is great and the singer is quite inventive with the vocal melody. They've added a couple of tasteful chord changes too.
I like the vocal melody changes too. I'm on the fence about the drum machine. The real drums occasionally go in/out of sync with the machine, but that's a minor complaint.
I'd love to hear a top rank band with some theory under their belts and some pro production take all those songs and make something out of them. Finish the job Joe started and Bernie hijacked.

BTW Pete Howard is in The Wonder Stuff now. He played with Miles in Vent a million years ago.
Good to hear that about Pete. He never made it big, but glad to hear he's still playing.
Sadly, Bernie seems to have soured him on the mainstream music industry. I'm sure he's got a lot of offers over the years.
I forgot who told me, but he was apparently runner up to replace Phil Rudd in ACDC in 1989 (Chris Slade got the job).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

IkarisOne
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3093
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:09pm

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by IkarisOne »

I forgot who told me, but he was apparently runner up to replace Phil Rudd in ACDC in 1989 (Chris Slade got the job).

Can you imagine 1989 Pete posing for pictures with those mugs? Would not work.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47258
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by Marky Dread »

Sure that was posted here before. Shame he didn't learn the lyrics.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Tim Bucknall
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 230
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 7:43am

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by Tim Bucknall »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 9:19pm
Sure that was posted here before. Shame he didn't learn the lyrics.
LOL i was just going to say i liked that the lyrics were clear and easy to understand in this version :mrgreen:
i'd never have figured out a lot of what strummer was singing if not for this group, they're great lyrics and deserve to be presented properly

thanks Ikaris, that was really great, goosebump inducing in fact
i'd love to know what the audience thought

thanks for the Pete update

i need to check out vent , the thought of our favourite killbot being recorded by Steve Albini, the king of the drum sound....

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47258
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by Marky Dread »

Tim Bucknall wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 7:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 9:19pm
Sure that was posted here before. Shame he didn't learn the lyrics.
LOL i was just going to say i liked that the lyrics were clear and easy to understand in this version :mrgreen:
i'd never have figured out a lot of what strummer was singing if not for this group, they're great lyrics and deserve to be presented properly

thanks Ikaris, that was really great, goosebump inducing in fact
i'd love to know what the audience thought

thanks for the Pete update

i need to check out vent , the thought of our favourite killbot being recorded by Steve Albini, the king of the drum sound....
The name of the band is actually Vent 414. Miles Hunt - Vocals/guitar (Wonderstuff) Morgan Nicholls - Bass (Senseless Things) Billy Duffy - Guitar (The Cult) Pete Howard - Drums (The Clash/ Eat).
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

IkarisOne
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3093
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:09pm

Re: Holy (Cut the) Crap: Amazing This is England cover

Post by IkarisOne »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 8:09am
Tim Bucknall wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 7:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 9:19pm
Sure that was posted here before. Shame he didn't learn the lyrics.
LOL i was just going to say i liked that the lyrics were clear and easy to understand in this version :mrgreen:
i'd never have figured out a lot of what strummer was singing if not for this group, they're great lyrics and deserve to be presented properly

thanks Ikaris, that was really great, goosebump inducing in fact
i'd love to know what the audience thought

thanks for the Pete update

i need to check out vent , the thought of our favourite killbot being recorded by Steve Albini, the king of the drum sound....
The name of the band is actually Vent 414. Miles Hunt - Vocals/guitar (Wonderstuff) Morgan Nicholls - Bass (Senseless Things) Billy Duffy - Guitar (The Cult) Pete Howard - Drums (The Clash/ Eat).
I actually got their CD back in the day. It was...unmemorable.

Post Reply