Style Scott - Clash drummer?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Style Scott - Clash drummer?

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Reading a recent Mojo mag article on the recording of Sandinista!, Topper quit the session at Channel One as they couldn't get/keep a good drum sound, leaving house band drummer Style Scott to take his place. Is he uncredited on any of the tracks recorded at Channel One that made the final album?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Style Scott - Clash drummer?

Post by Heston »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 5:48am
Reading a recent Mojo mag article on the recording of Sandinista!, Topper quit the session at Channel One as they couldn't get/keep a good drum sound, leaving house band drummer Style Scott to take his place. Is he uncredited on any of the tracks recorded at Channel One that made the final album?
No credit on the Ben Hur-worthy cast list of Sandinista.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Could someone remind me which tracks they recorded at Studio One? Time to put on my detective earbuds.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Inder wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 9:09am
Could someone remind me which tracks they recorded at Studio One? Time to put on my detective earbuds.
From the sessionography I did with Marky recently, I only had Junco Partner (Version Pardner too, thought that could have been done anywhere)
Mid-March
Studio – Channel One (Kingston)
Tracks
Junco Partner
Line Up
Joe Strummer – vocals, piano
Mick Jones – guitar
Paul Simonon – bass
Topper Headon – drums
Mikey Dread – vocals, percussion
Producer Mikey Dread
Source – Passion Is a Fashion (page 270)

This would be definitely news to me. As Heston noted, they didn't seem reluctant to give performer credits where they were due (songwriting credits are another story, obviously).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Looks like only Junco Partner is recorded at Channel One. Article is written by Pat Gilbert, Sept 2020 Mojo magazine.
Mojo Clash Sept 2020.jpg

matedog

Post by matedog »

Interesting. Google isn't turning up anything on this except the aforementioned article. I don't think I've ever read anything about this in any of the bios, including Pat's. I'd be curious if Mick or Topper could corroborate this. Or Pat to elaborate.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

matedog wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 11:06am
Interesting. Google isn't turning up anything on this except the aforementioned article. I don't think I've ever read anything about this in any of the bios, including Pat's. I'd be curious if Mick or Topper could corroborate this. Or Pat to elaborate.
Same, first I've heard of it. There is the possibility that Style Scott laid down a guide drum part on JP, only to be re-recorded by Topper in the later sessions NYC or London.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 11:06am
Never heard his name mentioned in nearly 40 years of obsessive Clash reading.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

He's got a contact on his website, so I just tried asking him.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Interesting tidbit: "Scott was found dead in his home in Manchester Parish on 9 October 2014. The circumstances of his death are unknown at present but gunshots or explosions were heard from his house in Manchester Parish."
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 2:43pm
Interesting tidbit: "Scott was found dead in his home in Manchester Parish on 9 October 2014. The circumstances of his death are unknown at present but gunshots or explosions were heard from his house in Manchester Parish."
I guess that rules out Matey getting a reply then.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 2:44pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Sorry, I emailed Pat Gilbert.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 2:53pm
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Ahhh right. :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
:lol:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Heston wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 2:57pm
matedog wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 2:53pm
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Ahhh right. :shifty:
Must admit. that was my first thought :mrgreen: