Style Scott - Clash drummer?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Style Scott - Clash drummer?

Post by matedog »

Hey Pat responded!
Well-spotted! I think I was able to unearth a few ‘new’ Clash facts for the piece, mostly thanks to The Baker (who didn’t want to be quoted directly) and the Electric Lady engineer.
However, the Style info came from a Simonon quote in the expanded edition of the ‘Pink’ official Clash book (and basically the raw transcriptions of the Westway interviews). The Baker named the local Channel One drummer as someone else, but I reckoned Simmo would know best, being a reggae aficionado and all. Baker said that Topper didn’t record anything at Channel One because he tired of all the messing around trying to get the band set up. Plus it was obviously all getting quite dangerous by then...
Baker also told me the story of Joe getting arrested on the beach, and a cash transaction being needed to prevent Joe getting charged.
What a band!
Anyway, hope this helps and thanks for the kind words,
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Re: Style Scott - Clash drummer?

Post by Toppers Boppers »

matedog wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 10:22am
Hey Pat responded!
Well-spotted! I think I was able to unearth a few ‘new’ Clash facts for the piece, mostly thanks to The Baker (who didn’t want to be quoted directly) and the Electric Lady engineer.
However, the Style info came from a Simonon quote in the expanded edition of the ‘Pink’ official Clash book (and basically the raw transcriptions of the Westway interviews). The Baker named the local Channel One drummer as someone else, but I reckoned Simmo would know best, being a reggae aficionado and all. Baker said that Topper didn’t record anything at Channel One because he tired of all the messing around trying to get the band set up. Plus it was obviously all getting quite dangerous by then...
Baker also told me the story of Joe getting arrested on the beach, and a cash transaction being needed to prevent Joe getting charged.
What a band!
Anyway, hope this helps and thanks for the kind words,
Excellent! Leads us to the BIG Junco Partner question - who the hell is playing the cow bell and glass bottle ensemble?

*edit. I'd forgotten that Paul does mention Style Scott in the big pink Clash book, p265.