CLASH STAGE BACKDROPS

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Strat35
Corner Soul

CLASH STAGE BACKDROPS

Post by Strat35 »

Anyone know where I can find images of the different stage backdrops and set ups they used on each tour?
Thanks

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: CLASH STAGE BACKDROPS

Post by matedog »

Strat35 wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 11:39am
Anyone know where I can find images of the different stage backdrops and set ups they used on each tour?
Thanks
Good question! The flag backdrop is one of my favs.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I remember the camouflage one and the monitors for Clash Mark II - sorry, I'm not much help!

matedog

Post by matedog »

1977 - White Riot Tour
1978, not sure how long they had this
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

June 1980 - some sort of smokestack silhouette

matedog

Post by matedog »

Fall 1981 (I think) - Graffiti backdrop.
http://clashphotorockers.free.fr/images ... rock01.jpg
(won't post here for some reason)

matedog

Post by matedog »

Bonds 1981 - Metallic siding?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 2:49pm
It's the corrugated iron mentioned in Let's Go Crazy.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 3:22pm
matedog wrote:
Shortly before it left the band to pursue a solo career covering up seating at Shea Stadium.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 6:11pm
Kory wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 3:22pm
matedog wrote:
Shortly before it left the band to pursue a solo career covering up seating at Shea Stadium.
Finally ending its working life in disgrace as the background on the cover of CTC.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 2:44pm
June 1980 - some sort of smokestack silhouette
Never noticed that they had this backdrop on Fridays:

matedog

Post by matedog »

1984 TV racks:

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Interesting update on Futura 2000, who sometimes live spray-painted backdrops during performances:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/09/arts ... shion.html

As you might suss from the article, or already knew, he goes by just Futura now, as the "2000" lost its futuristic vibe about two decades ago. :wink:
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

matedog

Post by matedog »

I'm assuming this is the 82 Combat Rock UK stint. Hadn't seen it before and someone posted to Clash on Parole on fb:

matedog

Post by matedog »

From Athens 85. Gives you an idea of what the CTC Tour backdrop would have been.
Attachments
Clash 85.jpg