Unseen Clash Footage From Don Letts

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Unseen Clash Footage From Don Letts

Post by Heston »

crashtheparty wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 1:12pm
white man wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 1:09pm
Decent enough. Some good Bonds footage, but i didn't want it to end.
Same, the ending with the crowd on stage - GIVE US MORE!

What’s happened to the Q&A with Don?
He answered a few questions in the chat but it now seems to be closed.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

I was really hoping this was gonna be a trailer for more to come. Seems not. :disshame:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Post by crashtheparty »

Heston wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 1:14pm
crashtheparty wrote:
white man wrote:

Oh, I didn’t see anything :huh:

crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Post by crashtheparty »

Heston wrote:
I was really hoping this was gonna be a trailer for more to come. Seems not. :disshame:
Have faith, I’m reading a ton into TeddyB’s “...” earlier in the thread ;)

Heston

Post by Heston »

crashtheparty wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 1:17pm
Heston wrote:
crashtheparty wrote:
white man wrote:

At the side of the page rather than below.

Don said this...
for those of you wondering about Bonds, the boys are still considering their options
Well it's only been 40 years, why rush?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Inder wrote:
Summary: Snyder footage synced to Mag 7, intercut with some new NY clips.

I wasn't listening through the best speakers, but it sounded like the single mix plus a bit of the album version's extended outro (fading before "fucking long").

Neat.
Awesome footage. The kinda backstage Tom Snyder footage mixed with the regular Tom Snyder shots was a great touch. Everything was probably 60-70% stuff I hadn't seen before.

God, they could put out such a great product if they maybe based it around a full concert performance mixed with the summer 81 NYC footage to capture the feel of the city and the nascent hip hop scene. Even just the straight up concert would be cool, but there are a lot of great possibilities. Not that I have faith in the label to put out such a product vs. London Calling 41st Anniversary now with a picture book and stickers.

We know they have June 8th and 9th on multitrack, so I assume any concert footage would have to be based around those dates, but presumably there is footage from the other dates as well. Anyone know if the stage invasion can be pinpointed to a specific date.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

I missed the live chat Q&A by an hour. Looks like Don only answered 3 questions in the comments? I can't get the chat to replay but wondering if he had any other interesting answers or comments?
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

for those of you wondering about Bonds, the boys are still considering their options
[/quote]
That sounds to me like it's still a go'er.
Don Letts is fucking watertight with info

crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Post by crashtheparty »

Heston wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 1:19pm
crashtheparty wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 1:17pm
Heston wrote:
crashtheparty wrote:
white man wrote:

At the side of the page rather than below.

Don said this...
Haha! I live in hope that we’ll see more now that they’ve dug into the archives for this.

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

Stage invasion would be from a matinee kids only gig. There's only under 18's in crowd, so it's June 6 afternoon or June 13 afternoon gig

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

yetaca wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 4:44pm
Stage invasion would be from a matinee kids only gig. There's only under 18's in crowd, so it's June 6 afternoon or June 13 afternoon gig
It's June 13 afternoon gig. London's burning

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

yetaca wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 4:57pm
yetaca wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 4:44pm
It's June 13 afternoon gig. London's burning
Just gave the boot a spin. That's a wonderfully chaotic performance.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 2:37pm
Inder wrote:
Summary: Snyder footage synced to Mag 7, intercut with some new NY clips.

I wasn't listening through the best speakers, but it sounded like the single mix plus a bit of the album version's extended outro (fading before "fucking long").

Neat.
Awesome footage. The kinda backstage Tom Snyder footage mixed with the regular Tom Snyder shots was a great touch. Everything was probably 60-70% stuff I hadn't seen before.

God, they could put out such a great product if they maybe based it around a full concert performance mixed with the summer 81 NYC footage to capture the feel of the city and the nascent hip hop scene. Even just the straight up concert would be cool, but there are a lot of great possibilities. Not that I have faith in the label to put out such a product vs. London Calling 41st Anniversary now with a picture book and stickers.

We know they have June 8th and 9th on multitrack, so I assume any concert footage would have to be based around those dates, but presumably there is footage from the other dates as well. Anyone know if the stage invasion can be pinpointed to a specific date.
Great stuff, but I wanted more. I wonder who that is saying, “The Clash is currently playing two weeks of sold-out concerts at Bonds here in New York...” because he really doesn’t sound like Tom Snyder, and Tom didn’t say that exactly when introducing the band before they played “Mag 7.”

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Fantastic seeing all the new footage, the shots at the end of the June 13th stage invasion were amazing! I was also impressed at just how well filmed the shows were, seems like there's a ton of side stage shots as well as front of house. Based on the footage, the main Bonds shots were from the last night. I'm basing this off the footage we have from Clash on Broadway (Charlie Don't Surf and Guns of Brixton), where Mick's got the bandanna around his neck. The audio for those match with the bootleg of the last night, so that would most likely make the footage in the new vid from that night as well, just based off appearance alone. Obviously there's June 8th and 9th with the multitracks so those are most likely filmed completely as well. I think it's almost fair to say at this point that every show was filmed in some capacity. My best guess is that there's 3 or 4 fully filmed shows, and then partial filming for the rest. Probably a fair enough estimate.

Hopefully one day we can get all of it, of course for the live footage but also for a really cool historical look at New York City in the summer of 81. That alone is honestly worth however much they would charge for it.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 9:28pm
Great stuff, but I wanted more. I wonder who that is saying, “The Clash is currently playing two weeks of sold-out concerts at Bonds here in New York...” because he really doesn’t sound like Tom Snyder, and Tom didn’t say that exactly when introducing the band before they played “Mag 7.”
I didn't notice at first, but listening again yeah that's not Snyder. What a weird inclusion in the video.
Heston wrote:
I thought for sure there going be release date at the end of the video or something along those lines. Oh well.