Unreleased working mix of Stay Free

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Unreleased working mix of Stay Free

Post by matedog »

x3em wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 10:09pm
matedog wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 8:07pm
BTW, the Monterey footage guy never responded to my email. Ah well...
When was the last time you were in contact with this guy? And how much does he want? It is just down the coast from here, maybe I should drive over there with a bag of cash and see if he can resist that.

I really want this out there, we've waited long enough.
I think 2013. His company isn’t around anymore so his email doesn’t work. I haven’t looked hard but I have not been able to track down any new contact.

I offered $1K which he not so politely declined. Unfortunately for him, I’m not as flush with cash these days so i wouldn’t be able to take him up on it now.

You in the SF area?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

x3em wrote:
matedog wrote:
When was the last time you were in contact with this guy? And how much does he want? It is just down the coast from here, maybe I should drive over there with a bag of cash and see if he can resist that.

I think DD lives in SF.

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

matedog wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 1:39am
x3em wrote:
matedog wrote:

I think 2013. His company isn’t around anymore so his email doesn’t work. I haven’t looked hard but I have not been able to track down any new contact.

I offered $1K which he not so politely declined. Unfortunately for him, I’m not as flush with cash these days so i wouldn’t be able to take him up on it now.

You in the SF area?
Did he retire or something? Maybe someone else has the physical copies and rights now.

He got rude? Seriously, these people man. lol. Did he give any indication on what he thinks he can get for it? I think eventually he (or someone) will realize that a little is more than nothing. It' has been over 40 years, and it is not going to get any better.

If it comes down to it I might be willing to part with some amount of money to make this happen. But he needs to be reasonable first. I moved down to Santa Cruz a few years back, but yeah I am still in the *general* area.

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 2:44am
x3em wrote:
matedog wrote:

I think DD lives in SF.
Is DD the dude?

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

x3em wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 3:15pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 2:44am
x3em wrote:
matedog wrote:

I think DD lives in SF.
Is DD the dude?
Yes, those are his initials.

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 6:49pm
Olaf wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 6:37pm
Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 6:30pm
Olaf wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 6:27pm
Which book was it, by the way? Juliet Naked?
Yes. Don't tell me you've read it and could have impersonated me in the correspondence. :mrgreen:
All right, I won't tell you then. ;)

Nah, actually I considered reading it but then thought the story sounded a bit contrived. So what was the reasoning behind all this? I don't get it.
He seemed to think wanting to hear these songs was very trainspotter-ish. And internet forums were evil places that Joe would have hated. That Joe was a guy who dealt with things in real life, like handing the tape to him in person. He then instructed me to read the book and get back to him. Like I say, fucking mad as a bag of kippers.
This is an absolutely insane story. Yet I am so not surprised. Think of it as a Guy Stevens/Bernie kind of experience. Power through it and the result will be worth it :)

You have to do this though, read the book man! Or fake it using someone who has read it already as someone suggested :)

Thank you for these two songs! I always loved Stay Free, this is such a cool version. I'll try to find Markys fixed up versions.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

x3em wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 3:43pm
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 6:27pm
Which book was it, by the way? Juliet Naked?
Yes. Don't tell me you've read it and could have impersonated me in the correspondence. :mrgreen:

Nah, actually I considered reading it but then thought the story sounded a bit contrived. So what was the reasoning behind all this? I don't get it.
He seemed to think wanting to hear these songs was very trainspotter-ish. And internet forums were evil places that Joe would have hated. That Joe was a guy who dealt with things in real life, like handing the tape to him in person. He then instructed me to read the book and get back to him. Like I say, fucking mad as a bag of kippers.
This is an absolutely insane story. Yet I am so not surprised. Think of it as a Guy Stevens/Bernie kind of experience. Power through it and the result will be worth it :)

You have to do this though, read the book man! Or fake it using someone who has read it already as someone suggested :)

Thank you for these two songs! I always loved Stay Free, this is such a cool version. I'll try to find Markys fixed up versions.
Don't think I didn't seriously consider it. I would kill to hear the rest of that tape. But I've got a bit of self-respect too. Way too much to be jumping through hoops for some wannabe Bond villain.

I didn't reveal all our full conversation, but believe me, he was batshit crazy. Anyone else is welcome to contact him, I'd supply the details.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

Heston wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 3:51pm
x3em wrote:
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

Don't think I didn't seriously consider it. I would kill to hear the rest of that tape. But I've got a bit of self-respect too. Way too much to be jumping through hoops for some wannabe Bond villain.

I didn't reveal all our full conversation, but believe me, he was batshit crazy. Anyone else is welcome to contact him, I'd supply the details.
Oh I can believe the crazy. And I get it, I am useless talking to crazy people myself. And I would certainly not like being jerked around in some weird power play. You are off the hook :)

But yeah, there has to be someone here with some experience navigating this kind of situation.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
x3em wrote:
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

I picked up that book because of this thread (and because I like High Fidelity) just out of curiosity. I'll let you know how it is.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

x3em wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 4:12pm
But yeah, there has to be someone here with some experience navigating this kind of situation.
eum.jpg
eum.jpg (12.93 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 4:23pm
Heston wrote:
x3em wrote:
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:

I picked up that book because of this thread (and because I like High Fidelity) just out of curiosity. I'll let you know how it is.
Maybe let Kenny know how it is too? :mrgreen:

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
x3em wrote:
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:

I liked High Fidelity too :) I started one of his others once but gave up after a couple of pages when I realized the book was all about football, I have zero interest in any sports whatsoever. I am curious what you think of this one.

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

Heston wrote:
x3em wrote:
eum.jpg
I would buy a full Kamasutra book set from that guy, easy!
Last edited by x3em on 15 Jul 2021, 10:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
x3em wrote:
eum.jpg
Wow, just plain wow. Definitely a real play-yuh!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston

Post by Heston »

Sparky wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 4:42pm
Heston wrote:
x3em wrote:
eum.jpg
Wow, just plain wow. Definitely a real play-yuh!
Just to clarify, this is the man I was suggesting to do our negotiating, not the man with the tape. This is our very own eumaas. :lol: