Unreleased working mix of Stay Free

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Unreleased working mix of Stay Free

Post by matedog »

x3em wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 3:14pm
matedog wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 1:39am
x3em wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 10:09pm
matedog wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 8:07pm
BTW, the Monterey footage guy never responded to my email. Ah well...
When was the last time you were in contact with this guy? And how much does he want? It is just down the coast from here, maybe I should drive over there with a bag of cash and see if he can resist that.

I really want this out there, we've waited long enough.
I think 2013. His company isn’t around anymore so his email doesn’t work. I haven’t looked hard but I have not been able to track down any new contact.

I offered $1K which he not so politely declined. Unfortunately for him, I’m not as flush with cash these days so i wouldn’t be able to take him up on it now.

You in the SF area?
Did he retire or something? Maybe someone else has the physical copies and rights now.

He got rude? Seriously, these people man. lol. Did he give any indication on what he thinks he can get for it? I think eventually he (or someone) will realize that a little is more than nothing. It' has been over 40 years, and it is not going to get any better.

If it comes down to it I might be willing to part with some amount of money to make this happen. But he needs to be reasonable first. I moved down to Santa Cruz a few years back, but yeah I am still in the *general* area.
Maybe he did retire. Dwight Dolliver is his name. Without doing a deeper dive, I couldn't find any contact info for him when looking him up recently.

An excerpt from the last email (I actually offered $500) saying that he would not sell "for any use for that mater unless it is a commercial paying limited use project... However sorry but in No Way do I want to do that with the footage that I toiled so hard over to capture thanks though !!!"
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

matedog wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 10:52am
x3em wrote:
matedog wrote:
x3em wrote:
matedog wrote:
When was the last time you were in contact with this guy? And how much does he want? It is just down the coast from here, maybe I should drive over there with a bag of cash and see if he can resist that.

I think 2013. His company isn’t around anymore so his email doesn’t work. I haven’t looked hard but I have not been able to track down any new contact.

I offered $1K which he not so politely declined. Unfortunately for him, I’m not as flush with cash these days so i wouldn’t be able to take him up on it now.

You in the SF area?
Did he retire or something? Maybe someone else has the physical copies and rights now.

He got rude? Seriously, these people man. lol. Did he give any indication on what he thinks he can get for it? I think eventually he (or someone) will realize that a little is more than nothing. It' has been over 40 years, and it is not going to get any better.

If it comes down to it I might be willing to part with some amount of money to make this happen. But he needs to be reasonable first. I moved down to Santa Cruz a few years back, but yeah I am still in the *general* area.
Maybe he did retire. Dwight Dolliver is his name. Without doing a deeper dive, I couldn't find any contact info for him when looking him up recently.

An excerpt from the last email (I actually offered $500) saying that he would not sell "for any use for that mater unless it is a commercial paying limited use project... However sorry but in No Way do I want to do that with the footage that I toiled so hard over to capture thanks though !!!"
Hm yeah, beyond issues around pricetag, his stance of "limited use for commercial projects only" is not compatible with what we want to do with this. I would only pay if we could release and share free of charge. e.g on youtube etc.

But still definitely worth tracking him down to see if his stance has changed in any way. Or if he has retired and handed over the rights to someone else etc. It has been 8+ years later since your last contact. That could make for a difference in expectations.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

matedog wrote:
x3em wrote:
matedog wrote:
x3em wrote:
matedog wrote:

You in the SF area?

I wonder how hard he "toiled"
Filming The Clash sounds like a dream job to me. Maybe he had to do a little bartering and a little arm twisting, but i'm sure it will have been a pleasurable experience

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:
x3em wrote:
matedog wrote:
x3em wrote:
matedog wrote:

You in the SF area?

Maybe he did retire. D D is his name. Without doing a deeper dive, I couldn't find any contact info for him when looking him up recently.

In 2008, I met DD’s assistant, who packed up the footage to be sent to Julien Temple or Samantha Dwyer, who was in charge of archival footage, for TFIU. If I recall correctly, DD was paid $5,000 for that footage (3 to 4 seconds worth), so I believe this is why he expects much more money.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 12:21am
matedog wrote:
x3em wrote:
matedog wrote:
x3em wrote:

You in the SF area?

Maybe he did retire. D D is his name. Without doing a deeper dive, I couldn't find any contact info for him when looking him up recently.

In 2008, I met DD’s assistant, who packed up the footage to be sent to Julien Temple or Samantha Dwyer, who was in charge of archival footage, for TFIU. If I recall correctly, DD was paid $5,000 for that footage (3 to 4 seconds worth), so I believe this is why he expects much more money.
That's a ridiculous amount of money for that small piece of footage.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 9:10am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
matedog wrote:
x3em wrote:
matedog wrote:

You in the SF area?

Indeed. It’s amazing footage, though.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 10:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
matedog wrote:
x3em wrote:

I’m glad they overpaid for it. That’s probably the highlight of the set.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 1:26am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 10:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
matedog wrote:

I’m glad they overpaid for it. That’s probably the highlight of the set.
I would like to think Joe wouldn't be so impressed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Just about a chapter or so away from finishing this. I guess I "get" what this guy's comment about trainspotting was getting at, but it didn't make me want to hear bootlegs any less.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 2:54pm

Just about a chapter or so away from finishing this. I guess I "get" what this guy's comment about trainspotting was getting at, but it didn't make me want to hear bootlegs any less.
Do you want his contact details? :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 3:16pm
Kory wrote:

Did he imply at all that once the book is read, he'd consider relenting? Or was this just supposed to be a journey of self-discovery?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 3:18pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

Did he imply at all that once the book is read, he'd consider relenting? Or was this just supposed to be a journey of self-discovery?
Kind of. He was a bit vague. I could message him saying I finally read the book. But you would have to answer his questions!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 3:35pm
Kory wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 3:18pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

Kind of. He was a bit vague. I could message him saying I finally read the book. But you would have to answer his questions!
I'm cool with that. We could do like a Cyrano de Bergerac thing.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 6:08pm
At the very least it would be interesting. I'll look into it. The funny in this instance would be if he were reading this thread. Then we have a novel all of our own. :mrgreen:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 6:30pm
Kory wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 6:08pm
At the very least it would be interesting. I'll look into it. The funny in this instance would be if he were reading this thread. Then we have a novel all of our own. :mrgreen:
If he's been reading this whole time, then I couldn't blame him for thinking we're mad as a box of frogs.