RAT PATROL FROM FORT BRAG (sic)

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
lanini66
Dirty Punk

RAT PATROL FROM FORT BRAG (sic)

Post by lanini66 »

Dear,
happy new year from everyone. On the FB page Clash city collectors I found this one. It seems to be an acetate of Rat Patrol From Fort Brag (missing a G), already edited to a single album, with different running order, different mixes (see the duration of songs on the record labels) and different tracks (sean flynn and death is a star missing for fulham connection and First nite back in London).

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: RAT PATROL FROM FORT BRAG (sic)

Post by Heston »

Yeah, I saw it earlier. Seems to be only sides one and two of the double though, there would have been another record that went with it. It confirms TeddyB's assertion that Straight To Hell was the lead off track on Mick's mix.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

rp1.jpg
rp2.jpg
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

So these are the four songs from Rat Patrol that are missing on the acetate...

Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn
Cool Confusion
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1 (Kill Time)

Dated 1.24.82 which was the date they played the first gig of the Far East Tour.

lanini66
Dirty Punk

Post by lanini66 »

I wondered: a) if they have already decided to edit to a single record, before Glyn Johns intervention; b) if on this record there are more advanced mixes than the ones we already know from bootlegs. I remembered a post on FB by a lady that was an assistant during the recordings in NYC saying than the mixes we have listened to lacked of many overdubs (she remembered she listened to a mix with her background vocals on).

lanini66
Dirty Punk

Post by lanini66 »

Heston wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 5:13am

Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn
Cool Confusion

Dated 1.24.82 which was the date they played the first gig of the Far East Tour.
I could understand to cut off sean flynn and ghetto defendant if you are planning to have a hit record (it was a hit record whatever) and to mark cool confusion and Idle as potential B sides... My 2 cents: at the end of january 1982 the idea of having a 2 Lp set was already been shelved...

Heston

Post by Heston »

lanini66 wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 8:18am
Heston wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 5:13am

Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn
Cool Confusion

I could understand to cut off sean flynn and ghetto defendant if you are planning to have a hit record (it was a hit record whatever) and to mark cool confusion and Idle as potential B sides... My 2 cents: at the end of january 1982 the idea of having a 2 Lp set was already been shelved...
I really can't see them considering excising Ghetto Defendant. One of the best songs on the album. Maybe there was a third disc?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Very interesting. I wonder if Teddy B has any insight.

The current narrative is there was the Rat Patrol double album and it was cut down to Combat Rock. I'm unaware of any in between single album Rat Patrol phase. There were stories about them mixing on the Asia tour, but maybe this was some sort of test pressing to review previous mixes? Did they review mixes on vinyl?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

lanini66 wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 8:12am
I wondered: a) if they have already decided to edit to a single record, before Glyn Johns intervention; b) if on this record there are more advanced mixes than the ones we already know from bootlegs. I remembered a post on FB by a lady that was an assistant during the recordings in NYC saying than the mixes we have listened to lacked of many overdubs (she remembered she listened to a mix with her background vocals on).
My first generation cassette of the “final” double Rat Patrol album from the Record Plant that January has the exact same mixes as the circulating versions, and the extras used on Sound System. These match the four acetate version in Mick’s possession.

I don’t know what this two acetate version is. The track lengths are all within a second or two of the ones I have, suggesting they are the same mixes. They could be a trial balloon for a single album, or the first two sides of a double album with different running order after side one. Maybe they were cut to play for prospective remixers. If so, Mick likely wouldn’t have known.

As to Matey’s question, they did cut acetates to listen to, as evidenced by Mick’s. Also cut at Masterdisk.

Heston

Post by Heston »

I've asked the guy about the possibility of mp3s and he thinks he has a tape of it he could convert. He did mention "background noise throughout" which could mean vinyl surface noise or a lower generation recording, who knows? Will keep an eye on it in case they are an improvement on what we have.

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Something small to note, because I saw it pointed out as bring Fort Brag with one G. That is the real title, there’s an interview from Mick and Joe after the Hong Kong show where they talk about the album, and Mick specifically mentions the word “Brag” has one G.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

River wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 9:37am
Something small to note, because I saw it pointed out as bring Fort Brag with one G. That is the real title, there’s an interview from Mick and Joe after the Hong Kong show where they talk about the album, and Mick specifically mentions the word “Brag” has one G.
That is hands down one of the most Mick things I’ve ever heard.

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 4:42am
River wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 9:37am
That is hands down one of the most Mick things I’ve ever heard.

I very easily could see him taking the piss out of it. It’s rather funny how he points it out as well.

VLADI
Dirty Punk

Post by VLADI »

Hello mates,

Where can I find the version of First night back in london extended (5:11).

All versions I have are 3:00. :meh:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

VLADI wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 1:14pm
Hello mates,

Where can I find the version of First night back in london extended (5:11).

All versions I have are 3:00. :meh:
Ooh yeah I want this too if it exists.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc