Sleeping on Broadway

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
joe darkie
Corner Soul

Sleeping on Broadway

Post by joe darkie »

According to the latest Uncut article, the Don has been sleeping on Clash On Broadway all this time! :mrgreen: ....

IN the absence of a definitive official document of The Clash at Bond's, we're left to sift and sort through a number of different sources. The band's show on June 9,1981, originally aired by local FM radio, has been widely bootlegged over the years. Three Sony-recorded songs from the final night of the residency -"Train In Vain", "The Guns Of Brixton" and a particularly vicious "Complete Control"-fetched up on 1999's From Here To Eternity: Live. Despite its promising title, 1991 boxset Clash On Broadway features just one Bond's recording: "Lightning Strikes (Not Once But Twice)".Don Letts' proposed film of the New York trek, Clash On Broadway, exists only in truncated form on 2000's Westway To The World DVD. "The Clash had askedme to come along and document the event on film," Letts explains today. "In the demise of the whole Clash mess later on, Bernie [Rhodes, manager] left the negatives in a lab and didn't pay the bill. Unbelievably, they were destroyed. Luckily! managed to salvage some of it, because lhada cutting copy under my bed. In fact, there's stuff sitting around that I'm waiting for the boys to make their mind up as to what we can do with it. Personally, I can't wait!"

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Sleeping on Broadway

Post by JohnS »

joe darkie wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 5:21am
According to the latest Uncut article, the Don has been sleeping on Clash On Broadway all this time! :mrgreen: ....

IN the absence of a definitive official document of The Clash at Bond's, we're left to sift and sort through a number of different sources. The band's show on June 9,1981, originally aired by local FM radio, has been widely bootlegged over the years. Three Sony-recorded songs from the final night of the residency -"Train In Vain", "The Guns Of Brixton" and a particularly vicious "Complete Control"-fetched up on 1999's From Here To Eternity: Live. Despite its promising title, 1991 boxset Clash On Broadway features just one Bond's recording: "Lightning Strikes (Not Once But Twice)".Don Letts' proposed film of the New York trek, Clash On Broadway, exists only in truncated form on 2000's Westway To The World DVD. "The Clash had askedme to come along and document the event on film," Letts explains today. "In the demise of the whole Clash mess later on, Bernie [Rhodes, manager] left the negatives in a lab and didn't pay the bill. Unbelievably, they were destroyed. Luckily! managed to salvage some of it, because lhada cutting copy under my bed. In fact, there's stuff sitting around that I'm waiting for the boys to make their mind up as to what we can do with it. Personally, I can't wait!"
Thanks for this, I haven't read Uncut in a while.
But the article's wrong to say the Clash On Broadway footage was only released on the Westway DVD, cos there's a 20mins / 5 songs edit on the Sound System box set. I'm sure that was a revamped, extended version compared to the Westway DVD. Let's hope Don keeps finding stuff under his bed!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Quite a story.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 7:45pm