1983 Timeline

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: 1983 Timeline

Post by YoungParisians »

IkarisOne wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 7:19pm
What's your source for the August 29 date? I believe it, I just would like to read the material.
Passion is a Fashion for the 29-AUG date.
Screenshot (13).png
Redemption Song also confirms the last week of August but not the actual day.
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 6:06pm
I wouldn’t take the dates assigned to those 1983 demos as gospel. They were dodging around Sony with the 001 box set. Note they are not credited to “The Clash”.
Do you think these were recorded anytime between post-Mick Jones firing and pre-November 1983 demos...or are you suggesting these may be from later in 1984?
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

YoungParisians wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 11:41am
IkarisOne wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 7:19pm
What's your source for the August 29 date? I believe it, I just would like to read the material.
Passion is a Fashion for the 29-AUG date.
Screenshot (13).png
Redemption Song also confirms the last week of August but not the actual day.
Version of Passion is a Fashion I have says August 29 or September 5th if that makes a difference. It is the 2004 copyright.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

Carnival is held on weekend of August Bank Holiday.
The Bank Holiday is on the last Monday in August. Which in 1983 was 29th August.
So imo fairly safe to assume Mick was fired on that date or just before.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Good to know. I used the e-book vers of Passion which has a pub date of 2011 so it probably refers to the 2009 edition?

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Dropping this in here as this hits on so many things 1983. This is taken from RPM Magazine out of Toronto, Canada from December 24, 1983. RPM is a radio trade journal published weekly a la Billboard or CMJ.

So according to the author...
- Joe & Paul wanted to put the Clash money into charity?
- CBS was going to release a live album in presumably 1984?
- Bernie was moving into film?
- Joe was about to start work on a film?

RPM-1983-12-24-OCR-Page-0003.jpg

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Hell W10?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 8:16pm
Hell W10?
That was early 83. And anything with Mick in would have been on the back burner.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

Heston wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 7:25pm
TRAC got together the minute Mick was sacked according to John Boy Lennard...
TRAC came about when I was at Mick Jones place. He got up to phone the press to confirm he was leaving the Clash.
He came back, rolled a spliff and said he wanted to start a band with Topper and I.
We added Leo and rehearsed for six months.

I thought it was a great band. Topper was then back into his habit and Mick’s girlfriend was having a baby. I think he didn’t feel confident Topper could hold it together and was feeling overwhelmed and closed it down.
I thought it was a creative period for him but Mick is slow to bring it up. Great memories
By my reckoning that would mean TRAC finished in early spring 84. Don Letts and Greg Roberts were recruited and BAD were together by the summer. Their first gigs were in October 84.
In the story of Joe asking Mick to come back (not sure of the date), it's mentioned Mick plays Joe tapes of his new project which Joe rejects out of hand as rubbish. A lot of these re-tellings make it sound as if Joe rejected BAD songs, which seems off. Having heard them, I assume Joe rejected the TRAC songs, which are rough, at least to my ears. Anyone have insight on this?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

marxwallace wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 5:07pm
Heston wrote:
TRAC came about when I was at Mick Jones place. He got up to phone the press to confirm he was leaving the Clash.
He came back, rolled a spliff and said he wanted to start a band with Topper and I.

I thought it was a great band. Topper was then back into his habit and Mick’s girlfriend was having a baby. I think he didn’t feel confident Topper could hold it together and was feeling overwhelmed and closed it down.
I thought it was a creative period for him but Mick is slow to bring it up. Great memories
By my reckoning that would mean TRAC finished in early spring 84. Don Letts and Greg Roberts were recruited and BAD were together by the summer. Their first gigs were in October 84.
In the story of Joe asking Mick to come back (not sure of the date), it's mentioned Mick plays Joe tapes of his new project which Joe rejects out of hand as rubbish. A lot of these re-tellings make it sound as if Joe rejected BAD songs, which seems off. Having heard them, I assume Joe rejected the TRAC songs, which are rough, at least to my ears. Anyone have insight on this?
That was right toward the end of Clash II wasn't it? Would that make it '85?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 5:53pm
marxwallace wrote:
Heston wrote:

Correct. Mick had gone for a family holiday to the Bahamas just after completing This Is BAD. Joe hired a bicycle on the island and found him, only for Mick to tell him he wasn't returning to the Clash. That's probably why Joe said it was shit.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 6:14pm
Kory wrote:
marxwallace wrote:
Heston wrote:

Correct. Mick had gone for a family holiday to the Bahamas just after completing This Is BAD. Joe hired a bicycle on the island and found him, only for Mick to tell him he wasn't returning to the Clash. That's probably why Joe said it was shit.
Hurt feelings.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 6:27pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
marxwallace wrote:
Heston wrote:

Hurt feelings.
Don Letts recounts the story in a little more detail in his new book but I'll not throw out any spoilers.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 6:30pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
marxwallace wrote:

Hurt feelings.
Don Letts recounts the story in a little more detail in his new book but I'll not throw out any spoilers.
I'm hoping to read it this week, really looking forward to it.

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

Heston wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 6:30pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
marxwallace wrote:

Hurt feelings.
Kindle purchased.