The De-Berniator

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

The De-Berniator

Post by geraldmanns »

Hey guys, found this strange device in some dark corner of the internet.
De-Berniator.jpg
De-Berniator.jpg (352.42 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
Just listen to what comes out of that after I sent the CTC album through it...

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/08774d ... 607/7753bd
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The De-Berniator

Post by Heston »

Surely man's greatest ever invention? Will have a listen later.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

An amazing invention, just had a brief listen. Sounds like some some industrial De-Bernie-ing was used. Good job

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wow, is this completely new backing music based on the live versions with the original vocals? Assuming you didn't have access to the master tracks, this sounds great. Play to Win actually sounds really really good. I love what you did with this.

What's the story with this?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 10:34am
Wow, is this completely new backing music based on the live versions with the original vocals? Assuming you didn't have access to the master tracks, this sounds great. Play to Win actually sounds really really good. I love what you did with this.

What's the story with this?
Yes, this is excellent work. I'm assuming software was used to extract the vocals and the tracks were rebuilt around that. BB used similar software recently when he extracted the vocal on Beyond the Pale to show Joe was on there. It's a shame the vocal loses some quality in this process, with access to the master tracks this would have been beyond brilliant. As it is, top work.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

Well, like everyone I was extremely disappointed when CTC was released in 1985. I knew the new songs from different bootlegs, like Bring The House Down, Five Alive etc. All the years after I was hoping for the existence of some mastertapes that were smuggled out of the studio in munich by a mindful technician. But literature that was released decades later showed that Paul and Pete didn't take part in the recordings.
Last year I found two different audio editing softwares with different algorithms to separate vocals from an existing audio recording. The De-Berniator idea was born. So after ripping Joe's vocals from the tracks, cleaning them up (a lot of noisy bits, especially in The Dictator, had to be removed).
Next step was to get a good live performance of every song, copying Pete's drums beat by beat into a drum machine that sampled original drum sounds.
On songs The Clash didn't perform live I had to lay down the tracks in a Pete Howard stylee by myself. After that came listening, learning, rehearsing and recording guitars and basslines.
To get a better sound I had to buy a Les Paul to differ from my Telecaster sound (nice axe to have anyway). I had to add some backing vocals because the algorithms swallowed some of the football chants (didn't make them out as vocals). It took me a while to mix it all, but now it was time to kick it out of my house.
Especially in different Facebook groups are a lot of hate regarding the last line-up of The Clash. I think these were quite descent songs and a lot of fun to listen to now. For me, this is the CTC I expected and hoped for when it was released in 1985.
Feel free to spread these recordings wherever you like, maybe it will shine a better light on the last line-up.
Have fun!
GMAN

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

geraldmanns wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 12:02pm
Well, like everyone I was extremely disappointed when CTC was released in 1985. I knew the new songs from different bootlegs, like Bring The House Down, Five Alive etc. All the years after I was hoping for the existence of some mastertapes that were smuggled out of the studio in munich by a mindful technician. But literature that was released decades later showed that Paul and Pete didn't take part in the recordings.
Last year I found two different audio editing softwares with different algorithms to separate vocals from an existing audio recording. The De-Berniator idea was born. So after ripping Joe's vocals from the tracks, cleaning them up (a lot of noisy bits, especially in The Dictator, had to be removed).
Next step was to get a good live performance of every song, copying Pete's drums beat by beat into a drum machine that sampled original drum sounds.
On songs The Clash didn't perform live I had to lay down the tracks in a Pete Howard stylee by myself. After that came listening, learning, rehearsing and recording guitars and basslines.
To get a better sound I had to buy a Les Paul to differ from my Telecaster sound (nice axe to have anyway). I had to add some backing vocals because the algorithms swallowed some of the football chants (didn't make them out as vocals). It took me a while to mix it all, but now it was time to kick it out of my house.
Especially in different Facebook groups are a lot of hate regarding the last line-up of The Clash. I think these were quite descent songs and a lot of fun to listen to now. For me, this is the CTC I expected and hoped for when it was released in 1985.
Feel free to spread these recordings wherever you like, maybe it will shine a better light on the last line-up.
Have fun!
GMAN
LOL.

You should upload these to youtube so they can be shared more easily if that interests you.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

I'm afraid there could be some copyright issues with that.

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

You have done any amazing job with this. The tip of the hat to Nick, Pete and Vince in Play To Win was a very nice touch.

Listened to the whole album now, and it made me smile.
Thank you for all the effort that went in to recreating what Cut The Crap could have sounded like 👍

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

These are amazing! Great work, gm!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

This is the dream many have been waiting for. Great, great work.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

geraldmanns wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 12:14pm
I'm afraid there could be some copyright issues with that.
I'm happy to share them on my YouTube channel if you like? Can share to the various Clash Facebook pages etc? I'll take the rap.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

gm, I see you've been here since 2008, so I must ask why you didn't take part in our CTC cover album? You'd have been welcome!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Well done. I'm really enjoying listening to this. I've long felt there were some good songs buried under Bernie's heavy handed touch.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

Kory wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 12:58pm
gm, I see you've been here since 2008, so I must ask why you didn't take part in our CTC cover album? You'd have been welcome!
Somehow I missed that. Sorry!