The De-Berniator

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The De-Berniator

Post by Heston »

Was just wondering if the isolated Joe vocals would throw any light on some of the lyrical mysteries of this album. We only ever got the official lyrics for 3 songs as Joe did a runner before sending Bernie (or the publisher it seems) the final drafts. The official "Complete Clash" songbook uses lyrics sourced from a Geocities website circa 1998. Gerald, if you ever get the time to post them I would be forever in your debt.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Kory wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 7:35pm
IkarisOne wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 3:04am
Inder wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 12:30am
Listening to this again, I think my faves are Dictator, Three Card Trick and Play to Win. Love how Joe's live ad-libs are mixed into 3CT.

Once again, thank you for this mitzvah, gm!
I really like WATC. I always knew there was a good song buried under the garbage. I just love the whole thing. The attention to detail is staggering.
My favorite part of that song is the little guitar part in the verse that goes "doot! doot! doodeedoot doot doooooo"

You know the one I mean.
That's Bernie's solo. He practiced it for months.

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

Kory wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 7:40pm
geraldmanns wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 11:08am
Kory wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 4:56am
This is really, outstandingly good. What did you use for the drum machine?
Toontrack‘s Superior Drummer
I'll check it out, thanks! I'm also curious about your guitar setup. What sort of amp/distortion pedal combo are you using generally?
I‘m doing all the stuff in Logic X and got Positive Instrument‘s Guitar Rig 5. There‘s a preset called Should I Stay that I use for my Telecaster and another called Pete Can‘t Explain for the Les Paul.
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

Heston wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 8:06pm
Was just wondering if the isolated Joe vocals would throw any light on some of the lyrical mysteries of this album. We only ever got the official lyrics for 3 songs as Joe did a runner before sending Bernie (or the publisher it seems) the final drafts. The official "Complete Clash" songbook uses lyrics sourced from a Geocities website circa 1998. Gerald, if you ever get the time to post them I would be forever in your debt.
Yeah, no problem. I dump them in my HiDrive and post a link here. Later.
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

JimJonesin
Corner Soul

Post by JimJonesin »

daredevil wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 5:59pm
Thanks for effort and time you put into to this. North and South is my fav at the moment, but they all sound amazing.
North and South is on this??

Heston

Post by Heston »

geraldmanns wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 1:20am
Heston wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 8:06pm
Yeah, no problem. I dump them in my HiDrive and post a link here. Later.
cheers!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

I wonder if the isolated vocals were up to it? That some acoustic CTC songs could be constructed from Gerald's work, like a Busking Tour E.P.
3 acoustic guitars and a pair of drum sticks! Maybe not.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Telecaster wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 5:28am
I wonder if the isolated vocals were up to it? That some acoustic CTC songs could be constructed from Gerald's work, like a Busking Tour E.P.
3 acoustic guitars and a pair of drum sticks! Maybe not.
Gerald obviously worked with what the software would allow regards the vocal extraction. Nice Idea for an acoustic E.P.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

geraldmanns,
WOW!
I just got a full listen through and it's like a brand new album.
Very impressive. How long did this take you to complete?
I am totally amazed by the labour of love that the members of this board produce.
Thank you

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

If this was asked, I apologize. If it wasn't, please don't take this the wrong way...
Did you consider or why didn't you consider including Sex Mad Roar and/or Do It Now?
I know they weren't on the official album release but they made it as b-sides.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JChampion wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 7:16pm
If this was asked, I apologize. If it wasn't, please don't take this the wrong way...
Did you consider or why didn't you consider including Sex Mad Roar and/or Do It Now?
I’d certainly be curious to hear, but I feel like those might not be too much different. I don’t remember them being buried in as much studio nonsense.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 9:01pm
JChampion wrote:
I’d certainly be curious to hear, but I feel like those might not be too much different. I don’t remember them being buried in as much studio nonsense.
Nothing could save Sex Mad War, the bottom of the Clash barrel. Maybe worse than Junkie Slip.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Nothing wrong with Junkie Slip

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
JChampion wrote:
Yeah I was thinking about those when listening to this but they aren’t too far off the live versions and do feature the band and live instrumentation so I don’t think it would be different other than a less godawful mix.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 1:47am
Wolter wrote:
JChampion wrote:
Yeah I was thinking about those when listening to this but they aren’t too far off the live versions and do feature the band and live instrumentation so I don’t think it would be different other than a less godawful mix.
Yeah. I think there’s room for improvement, but the ceiling is a lot lower.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"