Could the clash have really played MSG?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Guest1

Could the clash have really played MSG?

Post by Guest1 »

I vaguely remember something to the affect that during the Sandinista era, the clash could have booked a night at msg but chose to do the Bonds residency instead. Similarly they could have played wembley, but chose to a 4 nights at the Lyceum instead. How true is this?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Could the clash have really played MSG?

Post by matedog »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 8:11am
I vaguely remember something to the affect that during the Sandinista era, the clash could have booked a night at msg but chose to do the Bonds residency instead. Similarly they could have played wembley, but chose to a 4 nights at the Lyceum instead. How true is this?
I wonder what the biggest venue they ever headlined. US Festival kinda counts, but it's a festival so that isn't exactly apples to apples. Obviously opening The Who stadium shows. Combat Rock was probably the height of their popularity at least in the US. Even the non-Who shows were pretty standard college town auditorium type venues, so MSG seems unlikely.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

matedog wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 9:37am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 8:11am
I wonder what the biggest venue they ever headlined. US Festival kinda counts, but it's a festival so that isn't exactly apples to apples. Obviously opening The Who stadium shows. Combat Rock was probably the height of their popularity at least in the US. Even the non-Who shows were pretty standard college town auditorium type venues, so MSG seems unlikely.
I think they actually managed a few arena type shows during the CTC era. I know for a fact they played the DCU center in Worcester ma in 1984. That’s like 12k capacity I think.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Scratch that I just looked it up. 15k

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

They played Red Rocks, is that not huge?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

They also did five nights at the cape cod collesium back in 82.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-clas ... f03f7.html
That had around 7k capacity. Not bad.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Heston wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 9:52am
They played Red Rocks, is that not huge?
9,000 capacity. That’s pretty big. They played twice actually, 1982 and 84’ if I’m not mistaken.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

They did quite a few university arenas so those were probably around 10K caps.

I wish I was old enough to see them back in summer 82. They played 13 dates all within 4 hour drive of my hometown (Boston). Damn!
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

MSG capacity was 20K. They did two nights at Pier 84 in 82. BMC says capacity was 24K, but I can't confirm that elsewhere. Regardless, MSG sounds feasible at least in 82.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

matedog wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 10:32am
MSG capacity was 20K. They did two nights at Pier 84 in 82. BMC says capacity was 24K, but I can't confirm that elsewhere. Regardless, MSG sounds feasible at least in 82.
Believe it or not MSG is actually one of the easier arenas to sellout. I believe due to being in NYC there’s a much larger potential ticket drawer than say futtbuck motorsport arena in Nebraska somewhere. You also get travelers from neighboring cities like Boston, Philly, and Baltimore. LCD sound system managed to sellout MSG, as did X Japan. X Japan is literally cult status over here, being from Japan, and never playing a stateside gig before. Other relatively obscure foreign acts have also managed the feat such as Gackt and L’ Arc En Ciel. Also from what I’ve noticed, and this is probably a huge generalization, folks from the big metropolitan cities seem to be more into the artsier alternative side of music than country folk. This has certainly eroded a bit with the advent of the internet, but still kind of holds true.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 9:57am

Here's a photoset of the Clash in 82: https://roccosphototavern.photoshelter. ... H5dO1zORAg

and a pic of the Colliseum back in the day
16938953_10210834477835232_6280296930312093220_n.jpg
16938953_10210834477835232_6280296930312093220_n.jpg (65.35 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

YoungParisians wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 9:26am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 9:57am

Here's a photoset of the Clash in 82: https://roccosphototavern.photoshelter. ... H5dO1zORAg

and a pic of the Colliseum back in the day
16938953_10210834477835232_6280296930312093220_n.jpg
That’s a cool looking venue to be honest. Just found some more info online. Supposedly it’s a distribution warehouse these days.