Westway to the World reboot coming in 2021?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Westway to the World reboot coming in 2021?

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

crashtheparty wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 3:37pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 9:36pm
Since there was no Sandinista anniversary set, and music videos don’t sell anymore, perhaps Don is right and Sony are hoping for a Combat Rock box set next year?
I don't personally see how CR box set release would be more successful (speaking in Sony business terms) than the prospective release here. It it looks to me like a push/pull between Sony focusing on music release aspect and us as fans etc/Don (possibly) who would like to see the footage as a docufilm, along the lines of White Riot/I Am A Cliche. I'm guessing it can't be released without Sony. Damn, it really seemed like it finally was going to happen this year.
Box sets sell. Music videos or docs on DVD or BR these days do not.
With the backlog of postponed films clogging theaters and streaming platforms this year, Sony might have a point.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Wasn't the last edict from Mick that there would be no more rehash of already available stuff. Which a CR would surely contain, hence no Sandinista set.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

My understanding of the vetoing of a Sandinista set is that there was almost no new material for it. Sony wanted to add a live element and this was knocked down by the band. I don’t know exactly what Sony has in mind or has proposed for 2022, or if it will be approved.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

08 Jun 2021, 2:27pm
My understanding of the vetoing of a Sandinista set is that there was almost no new material for it. Sony wanted to add a live element and this was knocked down by the band. I don’t know exactly what Sony has in mind or has proposed for 2022, or if it will be approved.
Well, if they knocked it back for the reason that it was another re-release with a dangled carrot attached, then I'm right behind them.

crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Post by crashtheparty »

07 Jun 2021, 9:14pm
crashtheparty wrote:
Since there was no Sandinista anniversary set, and music videos don’t sell anymore, perhaps Don is right and Sony are hoping for a Combat Rock box set next year?
I don't personally see how CR box set release would be more successful (speaking in Sony business terms) than the prospective release here. It it looks to me like a push/pull between Sony focusing on music release aspect and us as fans etc/Don (possibly) who would like to see the footage as a docufilm, along the lines of White Riot/I Am A Cliche. I'm guessing it can't be released without Sony. Damn, it really seemed like it finally was going to happen this year.
With the backlog of postponed films clogging theaters and streaming platforms this year, Sony might have a point.
I guess so. I was more thinking in this day and age streaming etc a box set of CR can’t be a major seller. I’m just sad that it got so far, the Mag7 precursor etc and Don talking about it in his book only for it to be shelved. The sense I get from these things is that the film is done and waiting. Sigh.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

crashtheparty wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 5:11pm
07 Jun 2021, 9:14pm
crashtheparty wrote:
I guess so. I was more thinking in this day and age streaming etc a box set of CR can’t be a major seller. I’m just sad that it got so far, the Mag7 precursor etc and Don talking about it in his book only for it to be shelved. The sense I get from these things is that the film is done and waiting. Sigh.
With Rock the Casbah and SISOSIG on it, wouldn't that potentially make it the Clash album most likely to sell well as a box set i.e. selling to more casual fans? I presume box sets do sell well these days, generally speaking, given the large number that get released.

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

Would love this reboot to happen- never seen the original and haven’t been able to track it down other than on DVD (and I do not own a DVD player :meh: )

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

amj241 wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 7:49pm
Would love this reboot to happen- never seen the original and haven’t been able to track it down other than on DVD (and I do not own a DVD player :meh: )
The original is on YouTube. Unmissable.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 7:57pm
amj241 wrote:

Says it’s blocked in my country, but thank you! Gotta get on a VPN and hopefully can watch then :mrgreen:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

amj241 wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 8:09pm
Heston wrote:
amj241 wrote:

Says it’s blocked in my country, but thank you! Gotta get on a VPN and hopefully can watch then :mrgreen:
Actually, try this. It plays at a better speed than the other one. I think the other one is slightly sped up to escape the copyright people. Or someone may have a better link. Hopefully it plays for you.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 8:14pm
amj241 wrote:
Heston wrote:
amj241 wrote:

Actually, try this. It plays at a better speed than the other one. I think the other one is slightly sped up to escape the copyright people. Or someone may have a better link. Hopefully it plays for you.
Both show up as blocked in the US. I too will have to try it via my VPN a little later.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 8:14pm
amj241 wrote:
Heston wrote:
amj241 wrote:

Still blocked like Sparky said, but I’ll make sure to use the second version once I get connected. Thank you again- very much appreciated!

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

Finally got to watch this a few months ago and recently rewatched and it was great. I know 2021 has come and gone and the odds of a reboot seem low based on this thread, but I would really love to see it happen. Even if it was just more bonus interviews from what they already shot (like the clips they included on the dvd), I’d still probably purchase/enjoy it.

melodyfaker
Corner Soul

Post by melodyfaker »

I'm a bit of an enamored librarian with clash artifacts all over the web these days, I hope it's cool for me to just dump some relevant links for those interested. Lemme know if this is too long a post, I'm new here, and have a lot of... passion? - criticism welcome.

Formatted in click-or-paste manner because I think that's polite, and, listed in descending order of relevancy ~

-- One site I was able to stream Westway documentary from, in the US:
https://m4uhd.tv/watch-movie-the-clash- ... 18455.html
m4uhd.tv/watch-movie-the-clash-westway-to-the-world-2000-18455.html

-- A download link to Westway that's still working:
https://mega.nz/file/rAUTiCYA#eVMwKFg3H ... KlqOeO14Wo
mega.nz/#!rAUTiCYA!eVMwKFg3Hh7Vs6pvX9XulVwik5m6oQEeaKlqOeO14Wo

^ above link found on this beloved, albeit noisy, blog:
http://laconquistadelpunk.blogspot.com/ ... world.html
laconquistadelpunk.blogspot.com/2014/07/westway-to-world.html

-- A piece if map art (attached) that I like quite a lot, tangentially related:
https://www.youngerman-art.com/store/p2 ... '_MAP.html
youngerman-art.com/store/p22/THE_CLASH_%27WESTWAY_TO_THE_WORLD%27_MAP.html

-- short blog post about the film, from a professor of 18th c literature, who I am fond of:
https://conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com/2 ... orld-2000/
conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com/2017/02/16/don-letts-the-clash-westway-to-the-world-2000/
^ above writer is very well spoken, has a handful of short posts on other clash docs n books:
https://conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com/tag/the-clash/
conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com/tag/the-clash/
^ particular quote I enjoy from him (check full text!):
Perhaps an ability to feel love and anger within the same frantic instant is the best definition of anything that can cherishably called “punk”.
https://conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com/2 ... ctober-21/
conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com/2017/10/22/some-of-it-was-true-a-whole-day-of-thinking-about-the-clash-tcd-october-21
Attachments
s441583125363257728_p22_i5_w850.jpeg
s441583125363257728_p22_i6_w850.jpeg
don't forget you're alive.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

melodyfaker wrote:
22 Jan 2022, 8:37am
I'm a bit of an enamored librarian with clash artifacts all over the web these days, I hope it's cool for me to just dump some relevant links for those interested. Lemme know if this is too long a post, I'm new here, and have a lot of... passion? - criticism welcome.

Formatted in click-or-paste manner because I think that's polite, and, listed in descending order of relevancy ~

-- One site I was able to stream Westway documentary from, in the US:
https://m4uhd.tv/watch-movie-the-clash- ... 18455.html
m4uhd.tv/watch-movie-the-clash-westway-to-the-world-2000-18455.html

-- A download link to Westway that's still working:
https://mega.nz/file/rAUTiCYA#eVMwKFg3H ... KlqOeO14Wo
mega.nz/#!rAUTiCYA!eVMwKFg3Hh7Vs6pvX9XulVwik5m6oQEeaKlqOeO14Wo

^ above link found on this beloved, albeit noisy, blog:
http://laconquistadelpunk.blogspot.com/ ... world.html
laconquistadelpunk.blogspot.com/2014/07/westway-to-world.html

-- A piece if map art (attached) that I like quite a lot, tangentially related:
https://www.youngerman-art.com/store/p2 ... '_MAP.html
youngerman-art.com/store/p22/THE_CLASH_%27WESTWAY_TO_THE_WORLD%27_MAP.html

-- short blog post about the film, from a professor of 18th c literature, who I am fond of:
https://conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com/2 ... orld-2000/
conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com/2017/02/16/don-letts-the-clash-westway-to-the-world-2000/
^ above writer is very well spoken, has a handful of short posts on other clash docs n books:
https://conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com/tag/the-clash/
conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com/tag/the-clash/
^ particular quote I enjoy from him (check full text!):
Perhaps an ability to feel love and anger within the same frantic instant is the best definition of anything that can cherishably called “punk”.
https://conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com/2 ... ctober-21/
conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com/2017/10/22/some-of-it-was-true-a-whole-day-of-thinking-about-the-clash-tcd-october-21
Cool links. Really like the poster though a little bit steep for my wallet to be honest!