Westway to the World reboot coming in 2021?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Westway to the World reboot coming in 2021?

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 11:51am
2 Oct 1999 - Westway shown on BBC
4 Oct 1999 - FHTE released
18 Oct 1999 - Rock Art & the x ray style released

Gone too senile to remember these things but that must have been a good two weeks to be a clash fan.
It was an exciting time.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 11:56am
Low Down Low wrote:

Gone too senile to remember these things but that must have been a good two weeks to be a clash fan.
It was an exciting time.
Not since the heady days when Cut the Crap was released and we heard the future but today.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 12:00pm
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

It was an exciting time.
Not since the heady days when Cut the Crap was released and we heard the future but today.
The release of CtC was actually quite exciting for me as it was the first new Clash product released while I was a fan. This Is England had been a promising taster as well. Imagine my horror...

But then we got TIBAD a week or so later and everything was rosy in the garden again.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 12:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 12:00pm
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

It was an exciting time.
The release of CtC was actually quite exciting for me as it was the first new Clash product released while I was a fan. This Is England had been a promising taster as well. Imagine my horror...

But then we got TIBAD a week or so later and everything was rosy in the garden again.
It was my first Clash record, too, but before I found punk. I was looking for more "Rock the Casbah." It was not what I got.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Grateful for any new stuff if this is what Teddy was hinting at, but I would sell Flex's soul to actually have a full live show from Bond's with all that footage. It sounds like we'll be getting the footage with voices over it rather than the music.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 5:23pm
Grateful for any new stuff if this is what Teddy was hinting at, but I would sell Flex's soul to actually have a full live show from Bond's with all that footage. It sounds like we'll be getting the footage with voices over it rather than the music.
Maybe it'll be the "walking around the streets" footage that gets the voiceover. It's possibly gonna be a bit tedious otherwise. But yeah, anything we get is a bonus at this point.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 6:18pm
Kory wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 5:23pm
Maybe it'll be the "walking around the streets" footage that gets the voiceover. It's possibly gonna be a bit tedious otherwise. But yeah, anything we get is a bonus at this point.
Why do the Clash hate us so much? Is it because we hate them? That hardly seems fair.

crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Post by crashtheparty »

Heston wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 8:51am
From Don's new book...
Twenty one years after making Westway, Sony asked me to create a director's cut of the film, but I said that would short-change the fans and instead suggested using unheard stories from the original interviews with the band, to make a new film. I cut out the talking heads footage completely and used The Clash's testimony as voice-over for more visually powerful imagery. In the 2021 version of Westway to the World the viewers - many of whom I imagine were born long after the band split - will hear the voices of Joe, Mick, Paul and Topper while watching them at their physical and musical peak, doing what they did best: performing in front of live audiences and for the camera, or walking the streets of London and New York, soaking up the atmosphere and devouring cultural infuences in order to send them out to a wider audience. It's a different film, but the message remains the same and it's edited to be more appealing to a generation who've grown up with Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Bandcamp and Spotify. They need visual stimulation to catch their attention, and The Clash were always a great spectacle.
Here from my other thread. I’m wondering now if the footage in this new Westway will be that which we’ve seen recently uploaded to Kino library with the unheard interviews over the top. If so it’s totally different from what I was imagining the 2021 COB thing would be.

Heston

Post by Heston »

crashtheparty wrote:
13 May 2021, 12:00pm
Heston wrote:
From Don's new book...
Twenty one years after making Westway, Sony asked me to create a director's cut of the film, but I said that would short-change the fans and instead suggested using unheard stories from the original interviews with the band, to make a new film. I cut out the talking heads footage completely and used The Clash's testimony as voice-over for more visually powerful imagery. In the 2021 version of Westway to the World the viewers - many of whom I imagine were born long after the band split - will hear the voices of Joe, Mick, Paul and Topper while watching them at their physical and musical peak, doing what they did best: performing in front of live audiences and for the camera, or walking the streets of London and New York, soaking up the atmosphere and devouring cultural infuences in order to send them out to a wider audience. It's a different film, but the message remains the same and it's edited to be more appealing to a generation who've grown up with Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Bandcamp and Spotify. They need visual stimulation to catch their attention, and The Clash were always a great spectacle.
Here from my other thread. I’m wondering now if the footage in this new Westway will be that which we’ve seen recently uploaded to Kino library with the unheard interviews over the top. If so it’s totally different from what I was imagining the 2021 COB thing would be.
I think the Clash on Broadway footage is more likely. And hopefully other unseen stuff from Don. I will ask him in 2 weeks.

crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Post by crashtheparty »

Heston wrote:
13 May 2021, 12:29pm
crashtheparty wrote:
13 May 2021, 12:00pm
Heston wrote:
From Don's new book...
I think the Clash on Broadway footage is more likely. And hopefully other unseen stuff from Don. I will ask him in 2 weeks.
I wonder how many times he’ll have been asked by the time I see him end of July :mrgreen:

Heston

Post by Heston »

crashtheparty wrote:
13 May 2021, 3:17pm
I wonder how many times he’ll have been asked by the time I see him end of July :mrgreen:
Haha, he's gonna get a grilling. I'm going to pester him about the BAD documentary.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
13 May 2021, 3:33pm
crashtheparty wrote:
Haha, he's gonna get a grilling. I'm going to pester him about the BAD documentary.
I must have missed info on this. He didn't write much about the band in his book, do you think he is spending that on the doc instead?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
13 May 2021, 4:24pm
Heston wrote:
13 May 2021, 3:33pm
crashtheparty wrote:
I must have missed info on this. He didn't write much about the band in his book, do you think he is spending that on the doc instead?
I hope so, he must have tons of footage.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Spoke to Don at the q&a tonight, the project is on ice. He's at least hoping for something for the Combat Rock anniversary.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 6:08pm
Spoke to Don at the q&a tonight, the project is on ice. He's at least hoping for something for the Combat Rock anniversary.
Bummer, so maybe next year huh? Any indications or fresh rumors as to why it's on hold for now?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung