Lost 1983 Demoes with Mick Jones?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Guest1

Lost 1983 Demoes with Mick Jones?

Post by Guest1 »

I seem to recall watching a Clash documentary that mentioned this session specifically. It said that Bernie wanted the band to experiment with New Orleans Style Dixieland Jazz. Have any recordings from this session actually surfaced? I would be very interested. Clash version of the Bottom Line perhaps? I checked the Clash recording session chronology that was posted on here. The last session with mick only has two songs . Was that it ?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Lost 1983 Demoes with Mick Jones?

Post by matedog »

No recordings with Mick in 83 have ever surfaced. I don't remember the details about a supposed recording of Bottom Line with Joe, perhaps others could fill in.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

matedog wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 12:19pm
No recordings with Mick in 83 have ever surfaced. I don't remember the details about a supposed recording of Bottom Line with Joe, perhaps others could fill in.
I feel like there’s still a ton of stuff in the archives that is being withheld for some bullshit legal reasons.

matedog

Post by matedog »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 8:19pm
matedog wrote:
I feel like there’s still a ton of stuff in the archives that is being withheld for some bullshit legal reasons.
It's likely a combination of things. One thing is the lack of interest in archival material by the band themselves.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

For me there's still a lot left in the tank:
- Mick's unused Hell W10 music
- summer '83 tapes (if any)
- backing tracks to the '78 Peel sesh
- some scattered Strummer demos from 84
- sorting out those alternate song titles from S! and CR.

...and an autobiog by Mick. Not too much to ask, is it? :mrgreen:
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

matedog

Post by matedog »

YoungParisians wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 9:14am
For me there's still a lot left in the tank:
- Mick's unused Hell W10 music
- summer '83 tapes (if any)
- backing tracks to the '78 Peel sesh
- some scattered Strummer demos from 84
- sorting out those alternate song titles from S! and CR.

...and an autobiog by Mick. Not too much to ask, is it? :mrgreen:
Don't forget the somewhat extensive live tapes sitting in the vaults.

But yeah, autobio would be really cool from Mick, Paul, and or Topper for that matter.
Last edited by matedog on 25 Mar 2021, 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Reckon Strummer would have done one if he'd lived? I reckon so, with Dylan's Chronicles as a model.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

I wonder if the reception to 001 was a kind of weather balloon for how much purchasing interest was left for Clash material. In regards to the 83 demos, probably is a long shot that Mick/Paul/Joe's estate would dig up that contentious period anyway.
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 9:45am
Reckon Strummer would have done one if he'd lived? I reckon so, with Dylan's Chronicles as a model.
I really enjoyed Chronicles even without being much of a Dylan fan.

Anyone in the band's bio seems really interesting to me. Basically being part of a crazy new genre that was causing all sorts of issues at the time. Joe's 101ers and childhood as of added interest. As his the fact that he had a poorly documented Wilderness period. The Salewicz scratches that itch pretty well, but it would have been cool to have something from Joe himself.

Mick has a very different, but similarly interesting background. His BAD life, health issues in late 80s, producing period in the 00s would seem like good stuff to cover.

Topper's would obviously be the grimmest, but seemingly ultimately triumphant. Paul probably seems the least compelling after The Clash period.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

matedog wrote:
My strong guess would be that Mick used all the sequencer files for the TRAC material. His 1983 demos sound like they were all MIDI.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Silent Majority wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 9:45am
Ugh. Just another "what could have been." So depressing. It's crazy to think we could realistically have had an extra 9 Mescaleros albums at this point, if Joe kept putting one out every other year.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Perhaps the memoirs of Albert Transom.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

matedog wrote:
Trans Cash Free Pay One was based on the music that became BAD’s The Bottom Line. The TRAC version of Bottom Line had different music. Joe gave a copy of his and Mick’s demo of Trans Cash to Josh Cheuse, so it does exist. Never heard of anything else. The “New Orleans” influenced stuff Bernie had them trying was in rehearsal and didn’t get very far.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 3:26am
matedog wrote:
Trans Cash Free Pay One was based on the music that became BAD’s The Bottom Line. The TRAC version of Bottom Line had different music. Joe gave a copy of his and Mick’s demo of Trans Cash to Josh Cheuse, so it does exist. Never heard of anything else. The “New Orleans” influenced stuff Bernie had them trying was in rehearsal and didn’t get very far.
Very interesting. I reckon the Clash would have actually been great during the 80s if they stuck together. Mick Jones definitely grew in a whole new different direction as a songwriter.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 9:24am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 3:26am
matedog wrote:
Very interesting. I reckon the Clash would have actually been great during the 80s if they stuck together. Mick Jones definitely grew in a whole new different direction as a songwriter.
But in the opposite direction to Strummer, though
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/