Who could have been an adequate substitute to Topper?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Who could have been an adequate substitute to Topper?

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 4:04am

Lol
Posted here before. It's beyond awful.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 9:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 6:18pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 4:07am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 6:22pm
As to Stewart Copeland, the Clash could never possibly have had the son of the head of the CIA for the Middle East in the group! Mick chose Pete Howard and thinks he’s a good drummer, but Topper had a lot more effect musically than most drummers.
Idk they were managed by a completely racist cuntbag in one Bernard Rhoades. Also had a lead singer who’s father was an esteemed British diplomat. I love the clash and think that their music has many positive messages, but they were as BS ridden as any other rock group out there I’m afraid.
Bernie Rhodes is indeed a nasty bitter old man. Was he racist when he managed The Clash? Anyway that doesn't seem to bother you with Metallica. Hetfield is racist, homophobic, and xenophobic.
My point is that Bernie would hardly hold any sort of moral high ground over Copeland in such a hypothetical situation. It’s pretty ironic how Mick Jones was the most working class of that lot yet still got sacked in the name of “keeping it real”. The unfortunate sad reality is that many of our rock heroes growing up were flawed in. Punk Rock being no exception. I mean fuck. Who would’ve thought John Lyndon would wind up being a Trump supporter? Not to mention Elvis Costello dropping the N-Bomb.
Mick Jones more working class than Paul Simonon is debatable.

It's Lydon not Lyndon. Trump is a piece of crap but politics are for individual choice. It's disappointing to me that John showed support for Trump.

Costello in his own words “Never mind excuses, there are no excuses.”

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

"I don't think the eventual replacement the band chose for their 1982 US tour, former drummer Terry Chimes, was the adequate choice, though."... I think exactly the opposite, points of view :roll:
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 6:19am
"I don't think the eventual replacement the band chose for their 1982 US tour, former drummer Terry Chimes, was the adequate choice, though."... I think exactly the opposite, points of view :roll:
Really? Who would you have chosen at such short notice and being someone who knew the band well and how they operated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 4:50am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 6:22pm
As to Stewart Copeland, the Clash could never possibly have had the son of the head of the CIA for the Middle East in the group! Mick chose Pete Howard and thinks he’s a good drummer, but Topper had a lot more effect musically than most drummers.
Idk they were managed by a completely racist cuntbag in one Bernard Rhoades. Also had a lead singer who’s father was an esteemed British diplomat. I love the clash and think that their music has many positive messages, but they were as BS ridden as any other rock group out there I’m afraid.
Bernie Rhodes is indeed a nasty bitter old man. Was he racist when he managed The Clash? Anyway that doesn't seem to bother you with Metallica. Hetfield is racist, homophobic, and xenophobic.
My point is that Bernie would hardly hold any sort of moral high ground over Copeland in such a hypothetical situation. It’s pretty ironic how Mick Jones was the most working class of that lot yet still got sacked in the name of “keeping it real”. The unfortunate sad reality is that many of our rock heroes growing up were flawed in. Punk Rock being no exception. I mean fuck. Who would’ve thought John Lyndon would wind up being a Trump supporter? Not to mention Elvis Costello dropping the N-Bomb.

It's Lydon not Lyndon. Trump is a piece of crap but politics are for individual choice. It's disappointing to me that John showed support for Trump.

Typo my bad. I’ve often wondered if it was done for pure shock value or if he genuinely supports Trump. I’m afraid of getting old...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 6:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 4:50am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Typo my bad. I’ve often wondered if it was done for pure shock value or if he genuinely supports Trump. I’m afraid of getting old...
Never be afraid of aging mate. We might get a little wiser, we might get a bit more stupid.

At first I thought it was his contrariness. However I think he believed in Trump because Trump was being derided and he felt a kind of dumb kinship as an outsider (if that makes sense). You know like Trump wasn't a politician and Lydon wasn't a musician. I found the whole thing depressing and I really hope John has some regrets. Writing a song about the Berlin wall then defending a man who wanted to build a wall denying freedom of movement really sucked.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 6:29am
Red Angel wrote:
Really? Who would you have chosen at such short notice and being someone who knew the band well and how they operated.
Precisely for me it was the right choice and I would have kept it permanently. Terry Chimes is often underestimated. :approve:
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 8:51am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 6:29am
Red Angel wrote:
Precisely for me it was the right choice and I would have kept it permanently. Terry Chimes is often underestimated. :approve:
Ahh yes I misread what you said. I agree Terry did well.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia