Who could have been an adequate substitute to Topper?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Who could have been an adequate substitute to Topper?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

How about Kenny Jones? The Who had wound up operations in '82-ish, and he was already well-versed in drumming for a limping, dying beast.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Wasn't there an interview where Joe or Mick say they wouldn't ever go "the Kenny Jones route" or similar? So a "name" drummer probably wasn't going to be an option.

I don't think getting someone of equal stature in would have made a difference in the split tbh — I think the biggest thing was interpersonal issues between Joe + Paul and Mick, which Bernie and others exacerbated/exploited. Mick was right: they could have used a holiday.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

John Maher
Dave Ruffy

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

InthePouringRain wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 4:50pm
YoungParisians wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 4:46pm
Mark Brzezicki of Big Country
Charley Charles of The Blockheads
Everett Morton of The English Beat
David Barbarossa of Bow Wow Wow
If they'd gotten Charley, The Clash would've just become the Blockheads! I mean, they already worked with Norman Watt-Roy and Mickey Gallagher extensively by that point. Not that that's a bad thing, though :D
Charley Charles and Mickey Gallagher play on "House of the Ju Ju Queen" and "Sex Machine" - Janie Jones & The Lash.

The last recording released with Mick/Joe/Paul ?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

Style Scott

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I wonder if Townshend can play the drums.
Attachments
9b1fcb7d909c35bc40e8098c1449b8a7-colorized.jpg
9b1fcb7d909c35bc40e8098c1449b8a7-colorized.jpg (49.25 KiB) Viewed 1597 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 4:47pm
He's actually alright.

a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Flex wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 4:54pm
shoulda gone back to their roots: rob harper
You win!
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Spiff wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 5:14pm
Flex wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 4:54pm
shoulda gone back to their roots: rob harper
You win!
Pablo LaBritain says no!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 5:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 4:47pm
He's actually alright.

Rhetorical mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 4:07am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 6:22pm
As to Stewart Copeland, the Clash could never possibly have had the son of the head of the CIA for the Middle East in the group! Mick chose Pete Howard and thinks he’s a good drummer, but Topper had a lot more effect musically than most drummers.
Idk they were managed by a completely racist cuntbag in one Bernard Rhoades. Also had a lead singer who’s father was an esteemed British diplomat. I love the clash and think that their music has many positive messages, but they were as BS ridden as any other rock group out there I’m afraid.
Bernie Rhodes is indeed a nasty bitter old man. Was he racist when he managed The Clash? Anyway that doesn't seem to bother you with Metallica. Hetfield is racist, homophobic, and xenophobic.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 6:18pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
As to Stewart Copeland, the Clash could never possibly have had the son of the head of the CIA for the Middle East in the group! Mick chose Pete Howard and thinks he’s a good drummer, but Topper had a lot more effect musically than most drummers.
Idk they were managed by a completely racist cuntbag in one Bernard Rhoades. Also had a lead singer who’s father was an esteemed British diplomat. I love the clash and think that their music has many positive messages, but they were as BS ridden as any other rock group out there I’m afraid.
Bernie Rhodes is indeed a nasty bitter old man. Was he racist when he managed The Clash? Anyway that doesn't seem to bother you with Metallica. Hetfield is racist, homophobic, and xenophobic.
The only thing i recall about bernie in that context was his objection to souxie and other punks using the nazi regalia. The Specials obviously had some bad things to say about him, but don't recall any suggestions of overt racism being among them. Would be very disappointing if the band, particularly joe, wanted anything to do with him if that was the case. Later on, of course, there was less of a question about it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
During the RAR efforts, Bernie said of attacks on Indians, "“There’s a lot of P**** that deserve it.” To their credit, the rest of the band told him to shut the fuck up.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 7:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
During the RAR efforts, Bernie said of attacks on Indians, "“There’s a lot of P**** that deserve it.” To their credit, the rest of the band told him to shut the fuck up.
No question, he sucks.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
My point is that Bernie would hardly hold any sort of moral high ground over Copeland in such a hypothetical situation. It’s pretty ironic how Mick Jones was the most working class of that lot yet still got sacked in the name of “keeping it real”. The unfortunate sad reality is that many of our rock heroes growing up were flawed in. Punk Rock being no exception. I mean fuck. Who would’ve thought John Lyndon would wind up being a Trump supporter? Not to mention Elvis Costello dropping the N-Bomb.